Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2010 21:31:34(UTC)
James

Canada   
Hello All:

I was wondering if anyone has had (or is currently having) a relationship with PIKO models? What I'm curious about would be to see if PIKO steam engines have their drives in the engine (like Marklin's) or in the tender (like ROCO)? I'm currently looking to purchase a BR 01.5 (Reko) Locomotive and have tracked the item down to 2 manufacturers (PIKO and ROCO). ROCO's item, #69265, has all of the extras that I love, while PIKO's, #50404, doesn't, but it comes in at about $100.00 less. I don't know if any other manufacturer's have or are planning to have this gem on their production lists.

Ultimately, I would prefer Marklin to offer this Lok, but right now, I don't see this happeningUnsure

Thanks
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline Loadmaster  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2010 22:37:43(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
James,

I only have 3 of their hoppers and the "Blauer Blitz" which is a 3 car set plus an extra center car. Here is a link to a site about this OBB train set.

http://www.modellbahn.com/BlauerBlitz.html

Hoope you enjoy the information.

Robert
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline RDRBerry  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2010 00:10:16(UTC)
RDRBerry

I have a few.

The Br82 0 10 0 tank loc is a very fine die cast model,smooth powerful and apart from the odd fine bit of detail that has fallen off probably my best steam non marklin loco.

I also have a little Kwste green 0 6 0 ,very smooth but its decoder did blow once.

Drives tend to be worm and gear not gear chain.All in all I am K about them,a bit like Skodas , the old reputation has taken a while to die down.

The 0 8 0 Belgian tender loco in the basic range is also OK but the level of detail so not high,motorized tender not my favorite power option but again runs very smooth, and is very cheap.

I will probably when things improve ,get one or two more as they have some nice models ...
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
Offline sudibarba  
#4 Posted : 21 May 2010 05:15:30(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I have several PIKO ho engines and three passenger cars. For the money the passenger car are good. The loks are not bad but one has a terrible decoder in it. The real problem I have is with spare parts. The dealer I bought the loks from tried to order the part ( a wired coupler ) without which I cannot run the 2 part railcar. He had no success and suggested I send PIKO an email. Never heard from them. When I get the energy I am going to pursue this fulltime as it pisses me off.

However, their lower prices are not worth the lack of service in my opinion. Marklin hobby loks are far better and not much more.

Eric
Offline Brakeman  
#5 Posted : 21 May 2010 08:31:31(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
How are your Piko locos and cars behaving in Märklin turnouts?
We have 3 Piko 2-axle passenger cars from Honecker-era, that liked to derail in M-track switches. After replacing the wheels and couplings they are usable.

BR, Juha
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2010 10:35:12(UTC)
H0

sudibarba wrote:
The loks are not bad but one has a terrible decoder in it.

Old Piko Hobby locos come with an AnDi decoder (as bad as a Delta decoder).
New Hobby locos have load regulated Uhlenbrock Hobby decoder (OK for the price).
The non-Hobby locos have non-Hobby Uhlenbrock decoders (IMHO not as good as ESU but OK).

The motor is normally in the tender.
I have their BR 55 model: motor in the tender (metal die cast), pulling power is pretty good (considering the small three-axle tender).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2010 11:03:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have Piko locos passenger and freight cars, but no steamers. The freight wagons are good if you change the wheels, otherwise they tend to jump on turnouts. The bogie coaches are OK with the original wheels, due to the short wheelbase of the bogies.

Loco performance is good in the later models with better decoders. I have an older "hobby" Taurus with the old ANDI decoder which is not very good. I got it because it was about 1/3 the price of a Marklin Taurus. I might get their Br101 as well, as it is also very good value.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline James  
#8 Posted : 21 May 2010 20:47:40(UTC)
James

Canada   
Hello Everyone

Tom wrote:

"The motor is normally in the tender"

Thanks Tom and to all of you who replied to this topic, it would appear even though the PIKO item is lower in price, the ROCO item would be the way to go. For the money, the ROCO item has a tender drive, (as does the PIKO), Sound, and the quality which, in my opinion, makes the extra cost worth it. Thanks again for all of the comments, they have been, as always, very insightful.

Sincerely
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 21 May 2010 21:45:52(UTC)
H0

James wrote:
the ROCO item has a tender drive

According to their product database it's a typical Roco steamer: two tender axles and three loco axles driven from one engine in the tender.
I prefer that over the "tender only" drive which e. g. Fleischmann locos typically have.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline sudibarba  
#10 Posted : 22 May 2010 06:37:14(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
RayPayas wrote:
I have Piko locos passenger and freight cars, but no steamers. The freight wagons are good if you change the wheels, otherwise they tend to jump on turnouts. The bogie coaches are OK with the original wheels, due to the short wheelbase of the bogies.

Loco performance is good in the later models with better decoders. I have an older "hobby" Taurus with the old ANDI decoder which is not very good. I got it because it was about 1/3 the price of a Marklin Taurus. I might get their Br101 as well, as it is also very good value.

Yes, Ray you are correct. I replaced the wheels with Marklin ones on the passenger cars. I needed Austrian cars , they were about $19 so it was still a chaep choice.
Eric
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 22 May 2010 07:26:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Loadmaster wrote:
James,

I only have 3 of their hoppers and the "Blauer Blitz" which is a 3 car set plus an extra center car. Here is a link to a site about this OBB train set.

http://www.modellbahn.com/BlauerBlitz.html

Hoope you enjoy the information.

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the informative "Blauer Blit" website.

Seing it is in german,

I've extended the "Blauer Blitz" website by seperating the photo section.

Lots of nice photos from various trains and locations.

http://schienenfahrzeuge...details.php?image_id=821

Scroll down the website and you see the names of the individual photo gallery.

Lots of ideas for the modeller.

Here is my solution for the M-track preserver society and a hint for the modeller with high regards towards detailed perfections.

Every Märklin loco should have these bogies to absorb and level out any track irregularieties
UserPostedImage

This photo can be used for the modeller who uses detailed, recreated and prototypical objects to enhance his or her layout.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Every Märklin loco should have this in the drivers cockpit or the CS 2.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I've finished my shift but it's too cold outside and I'll stay in my comfort zone.
UserPostedImage

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode