Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline john black  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2004 01:25:03(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi all Smile:

It's funny but Taurus' "wet dream" made me think about that one. If we build a new layout (or new parts on it) what real or fictional landscape inspires us - knowingly or unknowingly - for creating just that theme ? (perhaps as a kid I viewed to many cartoons as you'll see later [:p]biggrin)
For me it was quite easy - in the beginning. A simple New York City diorama with lots of track resembling more or less the small part of my town and that was it, thought I ...
Months later when the Double Track Highline came in (which naturally should run high - 25 cm above ground in my case) solid bridge parts were needed for providing good statics.
And that was the point when the whole project changed a bit. As all the prototype Highlines were never to reproduce for me (simply didn't find the right steel construction) I choose bridge parts from Klein Modellbahn which imitate grey brick (very detailed and nice looking parts Smile)
Now as the base construction including track is finished (pictures will come soon) my first digital loco runs perfectly well on it. But since I needed quite a lot of that high towering brick stuff - now the whole layout reminds me permanently on Willie Coyote's and "Beep-Beep" Roadrunner's ACME Desert [xx(]biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin !!!

Best Regards
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2004 01:55:46(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, just lay out some traps (by ACME mfg, of course) and you will have a kind of "intermediate" state that is prototypical... At least from a cartoon point of view... I don't think Preiser has either figure in their catalog...

But you could model a dust cloud where Roadrunner has been of course... Hmm.. that should also go into the "Strange topics" thread by Nuno...biggrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2004 14:28:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi John. Faller do some nice bridges etc suitable for C track.
Dust clouds could be smoke oil a puff of which can be set off after the beep beep.
David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2004 17:12:05(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi Juhan, David, all: Many thanks for your nice ideas biggrin! After all what I've learned in our great Forum I try to avoid smoke fluid fearing that stuff would bind still more dust [8)] on the layout, or is it not that bad ? What are your experiences here, is occasional steam no problem or just the beginning of a sticky track ?

Always liked Toons so much - Donald, Duffy Duck and the whole bunch are simply nice and funny guys [:p] ! Just hope to find some day such Preisers for my Grandson's future layout ...

Sorry, but I forgot to ask all of you in my first post: What were your layout inspirations, please ???

Best Regards
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Tamrac  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2004 17:22:19(UTC)
Tamrac

Here you go John,
How about a layout based on Toontown from the film Roger Rabbit?
Since anything goes in Toontown, you could theoretically use models from all scales.biggrin
Offline john black  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2004 18:20:27(UTC)
john black

United States   
A TOONTOWN LAYOUT - TAMRAC, WHAT A GREAT IDEA OF YOURS [:p]biggrin !!! Seriously, would be perfectly nice for my little Grandson's first ... many thanks Smile - I guess I'll do that !!!
And you'll get the very first picture by mail, that's for sure Smile

Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 14 August 2004 23:04:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi John.I was looking for a layout with all sorts of operating possibilities and started with a mainline station with goods yard with various branches running off to small towns and a country station. This means I can build all the different types of buildings for town and country including the funfair. I dont build for any specific era as I like to purchase all types of locos . I do ensure however that the locos pull the correct coaches etc.
I know many enjoy reproducing exact copies of real places but all my designs are from my imagination so I can get as many different bits and pieces into the layout. I am also very keen on lighting and light all coaches and buildings.
Being in the USA you could build a layout of the old west...although I an not sure if there are many locos etc available. and I dont think Preiser has a troop of 7th Cavalry available!!!
David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline HueyCE  
#8 Posted : 15 August 2004 06:01:34(UTC)
HueyCE

The inspiration for my layout is based on the adventure of the trains in Eras I & II, however nothing is actually modeled after any specific locality, more of an amalgamation of different places I have been, and things I think will look good where I put them.
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline rschaffr  
#9 Posted : 15 August 2004 07:08:50(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Our layout so far is dictated by space and access. We had an area under the steps to the basement we could use, and then had to narrow it down so we could lean a ladder for access to the crawlspace under the family room. When we expand out into the main area of the basement, we can drive the design more ourselves. At any rate, the basic theme of our layout so far is the west bank of the Rhine, although we don't take effort to specifically model anything.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline kimmo  
#10 Posted : 15 August 2004 11:49:41(UTC)
kimmo

My inspiration to build a layout comes from my childhood, when I had a friend who's dad had built one. I loved it so much when I was a kid. With that memory in mind, I always wanted to try something similar as soon as my own son would be in proper age. So last summer, when my son was 8 years old, we decided to start.

After that, the following three points influenced things the most:

1) Limited space
2) Desire for certain operability
3) Building skills

The first one is simple, there was only so much (or little) space available. So we had to make the most out of it.

The second one was a desire to have the trains continuously running with variable paths. The most important element of this was to have two reversing loops, one for each direction of travel.

The third one concerned mostly the scenery building, since before this I had no previous experience in building layouts myself. So I wanted to keep it simple enough for my skills.
Kimmo
Offline rugauger  
#11 Posted : 15 August 2004 15:09:58(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Kimmo, looking at your layout pictures, I'd say you've done very well!

In my case, all three of Kimmo's points apply as well. I've kept it very simple, though, given my non-existing building skills. Only two levels, and by the time I had built the framework, reversing loops were no longer possible [B)] , so I'm having to make do without.

In order to justify the amount of track wink , I decided to go for an imaginary industrial theme which could be located somewhere in the Ruhrgebiet (the industrial "heart" of Germany).
Richard
Offline luckas  
#12 Posted : 15 August 2004 16:03:58(UTC)
luckas

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmo
<br /> &gt; My inspiration to build a layout comes from my childhood, when I had a friend who's dad had built one. I loved it so much when I was a kid. With that memory in mind ....

I think there's alot of truth in this for many of us whose first memories included an uncles or father's layout. I too find myself drawn to layouts which somehow characterise the 'feelings' of those times and often find myself looking at old Marklin catalogues for inspiration - rather than the latest layout books and plans.