Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2010 08:21:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Today, I went to the lsmodels.com website to see if there were any updates. I was surprised to see design images of a DB Bpmz 291.

http://www.lsmodels.com/Pages/General_F/Home_F.htm

AFAIR this model was not announced by LSM but was announced by ACME for 2010. Here is a photo of the ACME model from acmetreni.it:
http://www.acmetreni.it/...a_Bpmz_4bc2dc92871df.jpg

I am not quite certain what to make of this. There is no info provided as to whether LSM will be making this model as well or whether the diagram is of the ACME model?

Here is a list of the DB IC Models announced by ACME:
http://www.acmetreni.it/...mp;Itemid=74&lang=en

Both diagram (LSM) and photos (ACME) show one common mistake... The body skirting between the bogie and the doors is slanted and not straight edged as pictured by both companies. That feature was found on the Apmz123 and more recent coaches, but not on the original Eurofima and LHB design.

In any case, these models, with the current level of detail and quality, should make for very nice additions to any collection.

Regards,

Mike C
Offline Rinus  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2010 19:55:43(UTC)
Rinus

mike c wrote:
Today, I went to the lsmodels.com website to see if there were any updates. I was surprised to see design images of a DB Bpmz 291.

http://www.lsmodels.com/Pages/General_F/Home_F.htm

AFAIR this model was not announced by LSM but was announced by ACME for 2010. Here is a photo of the ACME model from acmetreni.it:
http://www.acmetreni.it/...a_Bpmz_4bc2dc92871df.jpg

I am not quite certain what to make of this. There is no info provided as to whether LSM will be making this model as well or whether the diagram is of the ACME model?

Here is a list of the DB IC Models announced by ACME:
http://www.acmetreni.it/...mp;Itemid=74&lang=en

Both diagram (LSM) and photos (ACME) show one common mistake... The body skirting between the bogie and the doors is slanted and not straight edged as pictured by both companies. That feature was found on the Apmz123 and more recent coaches, but not on the original Eurofima and LHB design.

In any case, these models, with the current level of detail and quality, should make for very nice additions to any collection.

Regards,

Mike C

They are very nice, like all ACME and LSM models. I agree it sometimes is very difficult to guess who will bring the actual models on the market. You see the same with the Austria Expres offered by both ACME and Jägerndorfer.

I was told ACME, LSM, Heris, Jagerndorfer etc have some level of coöperation agreement.

In the Netherlands (I mean dutch MMR sites) brands like ACME, LSM and Artitec are quite popular. On this forum however they hardly seem to atract any positive interest. I find this quite interesting considering the level of detail, quality and price of these products. Why would you pay more for a less detailed, lower quality, 1:93 scale M product if one can have these?
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2010 21:23:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Jägerndorfer is distributed in Italy by ACME. They also happen to be the Austrian Distributor for ACME and are offering those products in their catalog. The "Austria Express" Coaches are ACME products. In addition to ACME, they also distribute LS Models and Rivarossi (Lima & Jouef). Jägerndorfer produces models under the JC (Jägerndorfer Collection) moniker. Visually, it appears that manufacturing and production of at least some of the items is via Modern Gala. JC is distributed in Germany by Lemke, in CH by KML, in UK by Bachmann.

I am a big fan of these New Generation of model train companies. They seem to have found a niche that is working relatively well for them. The quality has now surpassed Roco in many aspects and is comparable to the original ADE models in detail.

I don't want to insult Maerklin diehards, but models like these make me wish that Maerklin would put a little more effort into details. The interior of the most recent 282mm coaches looks so basic when compared to the multicoloured and detailed interior of LSM, ACME, etc. At least, compartment doors that look like doors. The classic clear plastic strip with the lines looked better than what Maerklin is producing today. The current interiors are on par with the old Liliput 30cm coaches from the 1970s.

Getting back to ACME/LSM/etc, the coaches look very nice behind my Maerklin. Hag and Roco loks. I would recommend that any modeller who uses R3 and greater for minimum radii check out the exact scale offerings.

Regards

Mike C
Offline al_pignolo  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2010 21:24:33(UTC)
al_pignolo

Hi Evil. I agree about the better model quality.
I'm not completely enthousiast about ACME because in my experience I had some troubles about the running of some of these models (with large radius curves and close coupler),solved with some adjustment of wheels and bogies.
Besides, LS are not easy to find in Italy, and delivery of new models is sometimes vague.
Apart from this, I have some coaches and I love them. Now I'm hunting the SBB RIC coaches.
Pietro
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2010 00:02:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
al_pignolo wrote:
Hi Evil. I agree about the better model quality.
I'm not completely enthousiast about ACME because in my experience I had some troubles about the running of some of these models (with large radius curves and close coupler),solved with some adjustment of wheels and bogies.
Besides, LS are not easy to find in Italy, and delivery of new models is sometimes vague.
Apart from this, I have some coaches and I love them. Now I'm hunting the SBB RIC coaches.
Pietro

Which models did you have trouble with? What kind of couplings were you using? I had no problems with my FS Intercity Set, Cisalpino "Canaletto" Sets, EN "Luna" Sets nor my other models on my R 4 and R 5 curves on the floor. The layout did not include any s-curves and only two pairs of switches (to the holding tracks. I noted that the coupling shaft on many ACME models is about a mm shorter than ideal. To compensate, I installed the Roco Universal Close Coupler. The coupler is about 1mm longer than Maerklin's 7203. This enables the coupling to clear the buffers and solves the spacing issue. It is also fully compatible with the Maerklin 7203 and the standard Maerklin coupler.

On a few models, there was some detail that impeded the movement of the coupling shaft. That part could be removed from the model without detracting from it, thus freeing the shaft to move completely from left to right.

I don't quite understand why some ACME models have a detachable piece for the bogie socket. I haven't figured out why the decided that designing such a piece was necessary. The other concern is some of the accessories mounted on the bogie may in some circumstances interfere with the third rail, but haven't encountered a specific problem yet.

As far as finding LSM in Italy, it is distributed by ACME, so any ACME dealer should be able to order it for you. I have seen a fair amount listed on tecnomodeli-treni.it and trenietreni.it.
As LSM (and ACME) rely on relatively small production runs, you may have a problem getting something after it has been released, as the full quantity may already have been shipped out. If that is the case, you may wish to try Jocadis.com or Huenerbein (eBay Huenerbein321) who seem to hold a good selection of these models in inventory.

Regards

Mike C
Offline al_pignolo  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2010 16:18:27(UTC)
al_pignolo

I've had troubles with FS X couchette coaches of the first series.
They derailed in almost every curve (even in R5 curves or wide turnouts!). I tried Roco close couplers but socket are too low, the couplers interfere with 3rd rail in turnouts. Then I used universal roco as you suggest, and these are OK.
To make them run I first changed the wheels with AC ones, then someone told me that the firs series bogies were sometimes defectives, so I got spare bogies and changed them! Now they're OK, but it has been too difficult for a 55€ coach!
The other coaches that give problems are the FS Z1 in grey/grey livery. Again they derail in curves, because the bogie interfere with the body, that is too low. I solved the problem inserting a brass washer between the bogie and the body.

About finding LS: my local dealer told that LS delivers very small quantities to ACME for Italy.
So sometimes it's impossible even to book some models, if they have too many requests, the model is sold out for Italy even before its deliver.
But I wonder why they don't increase quantities... Bored

Pietro
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2010 21:21:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
As production runs of LS Models items is usually as small as 500 units, the production is quite often sold out at delivery or very close to that. This makes it very difficult to obtain an item after it has been released or even before that in some cases. With companies like this, pre-orders are essential to ensuring that you receive the model in question. There are, however, a number of dealers who do pre-order these items in greater quantities than confirmed orders. This means that those dealers are the most likely to have the said item in stock once it is released. It must, still be remembered that such inventory is not likely to include more than a few of any given item, so even there, it is first come first served.
So far, the best selection of LSM that I have seen in Europe has probably been Huenerbein (Aachen DE), Jocadis (Enghien B) and Reisezugwagen.eu (DE).

It may occur with certain models, that a national distributor may add a specific quantity over the normal production run. For example, KML might order a larger quantity of SBB UIC coaches, resulting in a larger production run and a better selection of models in inventory. The same might occur for an OBB model via Jaegerndorfer or for an FS model by ACME.

Regards

Mike C