Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2010 02:39:13(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello everyone,

I've been working to fix some of my locomotives lately and had some troubles especially with the TT 800 and SK 800 locomotives. Although originally both motors did not run, they now run perfectly, but gearing seems to be an issue. I figured out the problem with the TT 800. The gears that drive the wheels do not always engage, and with the slightest resistance, they slip past each other and drive to the wheels stops. The gear in the center needs to be tightened somehow, but it is between two parts of the frame that I cannot get access to, nor do I see a way of tightening. The one closest to the pickup-shoe is not the problem, it is the one just behind it.

Pictures:
UserPostedImage

I think I'll have a similar problem with the TP 800 behind it, the wheels are stuck, but the motor seems to run fine. This seems to be the problem with many of my late 1940s locomotives.

The next is the SK 800 which also runs, but occasionally the gear sticking out of the top of the motor housing (near the reversing lever) with grind against the shell and become stuck. I need to somehow lower the frame which is controlled by the two screws that attach the frame to the shell (at the "T" shape in the back). However, the motor housing is flush with the frame, so I see no way to lower it other than some heavy sanding (which I don't want to do). The motor brush covers are also too high and should be in the center.

Pictures:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Bill

Edited by user 09 April 2010 04:44:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bayer  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2010 21:23:08(UTC)
Bayer

Hi Bill,

I took my TT 800 apart today. As I see it it isn't possible to tighten the cogwheel, because it is located between to parts of the frame. I think your problem is that the cogwheel is too worn or something like that, and that you have to get a new. The cogwheels in my TT are also very wobbly.

To the SK 800 I have no idea how to fix it. It sounds like the motor housing suffers slightly from zinc pest and therefore has expanded a little bit.

By the way nice TP 800 and CCS 800.

Regards,
Thor
#3 Posted : 11 April 2010 00:33:42(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thanks Thor,

I think you're right about the gear, it is probably just worn. I need to replace it I think...I haven't checked yet if it is hard to take out.

You're probably right about the SK 800; although there are no visible cracks, it has probably warped/expanded upward. If I keep the frame loosely screwed it, it runs perfectly...perhaps I'll put some spacers in to make more room.

Thanks,

Bill
Offline Bayer  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2010 01:31:17(UTC)
Bayer

Hi,

It shouldn't be that difficult to remove the cogwheel, you just need a small nail and a hammer to remove the split pin, which holds the cogwheel in place. I have done so on many of beaten up locos to get spare parts and so. You just have to be careful not bending anything.

It seems from the pictures you have posted, that the motor in the SK 800 is the old type made out of the gray, porous metal. I too have a SK 800 VK, but a older green version. The motor is there complete destroyed by zinc pest, which is pretty annoying because they are very hard to find without zinc pest.
Putting something between the frame and the upper part sounds like the best solution to your problem.

Regards,
Thor
#5 Posted : 11 April 2010 01:59:42(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Ok, I'll post pix once I get them both back up and running.

What type of motor was used on the SK 800 VK? Is it the darker version or the gray color? I also got a T 800 that was completely destroyed, yet the motor was perfect and untouched. The motor and reversing switch actually run on their own, separate from the locomotive. I've got a few motor housings...if there is anything you need in particular, let me know or post a thread. I've got lots of spare parts. Right now, I'm looking for a front truck angle bracket for the SK, mine are all broken. I've made a replacement, but it looks ugly because it is shiny aluminum sheeting!

Regards,

Bill
Offline Bayer  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2010 19:43:57(UTC)
Bayer

Hi,

As far as I'm asure the SK 800 VK has the gray motor, but mine is such an early version that it has the thin motor type, with the thin field magnet and anker. The brushholder piece isn't suffering from zinc pest, but the part with the cogwheels is completely destroyed, so that would be the part I'm looking for. If you have one it would be very nice as they are hard to find. If you have a thin anker let me know too, because the wires on mine are broken.

The part you are looking for I unfortunately can help you with. Mine is broken too, but I fixed it with some epoxy.

Regards,
Thor
Offline pa-pauls  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2010 20:17:18(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello Bill and Thor,

Could this link help you getting some spare parts maybe : http://www.bahn-web.de/sehling
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 13 April 2010 03:31:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline sudibarba  
#9 Posted : 13 April 2010 04:52:12(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Send them to Ritter. If you only have a couple, you will never be as skilled as they are.
Work on something else.

Eric
#10 Posted : 13 April 2010 06:24:13(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
river6109 wrote:

I think Thor is looking for the part that this attaches to...I would call this the "brushholder" which Thor said was okay on his. I don't believe I have any of those early version, thin ones.
#11 Posted : 13 April 2010 06:27:08(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
sudibarba wrote:
Send them to Ritter. If you only have a couple, you will never be as skilled as they are.
Work on something else.

Eric

I'll never be ask skilled as they are if I never try. But beside the point, I thought Ritter was too expensive. For me, the TT 800 isn't worth enough to spend $60 sending the lok there and back and whatever restoration costs are. If it's a quick fix then it would be worth my time. For a CCS, though, I think I would send to Ritter...that lok is very complicated and hard to work on.

Anyone ever sent one of their vintage loks to Ritter for a fix?

Regards,

Bill
Offline seatrains  
#12 Posted : 13 April 2010 09:00:03(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Bill, both these loks, as you know are rapidly increasing in value. SK 800's have really gone up in the last year. I don't know how much you have invested in it now, but having Ritter or some one fix it to good running condition would be a real plus. If it were my SK, I would not repaint it, as I love the original "patina".
If you get it running, I would love to see a video as I don't have one yet (selfish reason).
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 13 April 2010 14:25:33(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Bill,
There is no need to send it to Ritter.
As you said you are capable of fixing or repairing it.
If you need a complete restauration, yes send it to them.
Ritter has been recommended by a previous repairer and restorer, Georg Brockmann, who does purely Auctions these days.

Bill if you scroll the pages of Ritters website, select your loco and I'm sure you will come past your sparepart you're looking for.
selectL English.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
#14 Posted : 13 April 2010 17:48:49(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thanks everyone for all your advice and suggestions.

I have found a local restorer who is going to help me out with the restoration of my locomotives. I'll be sure to post pictures/video as they are all brought into running condition.

Best regards,

Bill