Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ozzman  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2010 05:05:53(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
This program was on Australia's SBS network last night. Maybe UK members have seen it already. The program documented the wild-haired one's efforts to run a series of Hornby OO scale trains 10 miles over the route of a closed and dismantled British Rail branch line. At the start of the program he visited Minatur Wunderland in Hamburg and talked with the two brothers who run it.

The best performer of the lot was a prototype model of a new high-speed train, which managed seven miles of dirty, bumpy and wet track before being reduced to a total wreck. Would Marklin trains have done any better?

I would call to the attention of honourable members the following extract from Wiki:

"In 1978, a Märklin Z scale locomotive pulling six coaches made its entry into the Guinness Book of World Records by running nonstop 1,219 hours, and traveling a distance of 720 km before the train stopped due to failure of the motor."

Before making unfair comparisons we should remember that the Little One ran under ideal conditions.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2010 06:35:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Well, I think James should have used Marklin C track on his program, as I'm sure that would have prevented a lot of the dirt getting into the locomotives.

This program was shown here several weeks ago (the whole series has now been shown), and can be downloaded off youtube if you haven't seen it yet.

There is another thread on the forum discussing this topic too.
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2010 09:21:46(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Six video of Jame May's trains on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/...mp;search_type=&aq=f
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2010 10:51:39(UTC)
H0

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline old toot  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2010 12:41:39(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
Hahah Gee I had some great comments in the shop after that programme was shown here
One of my first customers in the next morning walked in and said "well that programme
on tv last night was a great advert for buying marklin" BigGrin BigGrin so we had a good laugh
and then my brain got the better of me and i worked out that my small train operating in the shop
frontlayout does about 7.5 kls a day,and also only needs oil about once a week, so i though our
marklin little brown electric does very well, compared to james may's lot.
Then he was followed by a chap with a hornby loco who said " I don't want to talk about last nights tv !!!Mad
yes peco and hornby would not have been to happy about that very public failure
well we shall see what Ian Rice has to say next weekend at the nz national convention here in chch.
happy derailments
bryan

were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2010 13:17:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
James Mays problem was laying the track on a base which was not suitable for model rail and the lack of controllers.Mainly though it was the idiots that made off with bits of track and pinched controllers.
As said above C track would have been much better and the amount required would have paid off Marklins debt.
As a Hornby shareholder (who never buys any of their stuff) they do have trains running non stop in shops without any problems.
Somebody could set up a circle of track for both systems and see how far each goes with similar trains (if there are any similar trains) I would expect Marklin to win which is why I an a three rail fan.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Darren W  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2010 20:06:44(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Thanks for the youtube link. I remember hearing about this and I'm glad I was able to see the show. I agree one of the biggest problems was a lack of roadbed. If they had attached it to plywood in sections ahead of time they could have had more success.

My quick calculations indicate that 10 miles is 1,609,344 cm's. That would be about 17,881 pieces of K-flextrack at a cost of $276,976 CAD from my dealer. C-track would need 85,467 pieces of 24188 at a cost of $298,279. I doubt the show would have budget for that.

Hat's off to them for trying and getting as far as they did.ThumpUp

Cheers...
Darren
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 27 March 2010 21:06:07(UTC)
H0

David Dewar wrote:
Somebody could set up a circle of track for both systems and see how far each goes with similar trains (if there are any similar trains) I would expect Marklin to win which is why I an a three rail fan.

LOXX in Berlin did that. IIRC Fleischmann was the winner, Märklin was second.
I'm afraid they no longer show the results on the website.

The test was indoor - and all locos lasted more than 10 miles ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 27 March 2010 22:51:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
'James May on the Moon' is being shown here on Monday night on the Documentary Channel, although I have already seen the youtube version.

Part 1 here:
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 28 March 2010 12:34:35(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Bigdaddynz wrote:
'James May on the Moon' is being shown here on Monday night on the Documentary Channel, although I have already seen the youtube version.

Part 1 here:

Thanks for the link.Smile

I can't find part 5 video.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 28 March 2010 13:01:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hmmm, I can't find it either. I'll upload it tomorrow for you Stephen.

There's also a companion program, 'James May At The Edge Of Space Part' which covers the training part of the U2 flight.

- part 1 of 3
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 28 March 2010 14:46:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Bigdaddynz wrote:

Thanks, David.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#13 Posted : 29 March 2010 01:03:13(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
ozzman wrote:
The best performer of the lot was a prototype model of a new high-speed train, which managed seven miles of dirty, bumpy and wet track before being reduced to a total wreck. Would Marklin trains have done any better?

Not necessarily. As I recall this was under heavy weather conditions like rain and lots of dirty track. Though I am positively sure, that a track with a built-in road bed would have made a better performance, I am not sure Märklin locomotives would have performed any better outside. Dirt in the motor will kill of just about any locomotive.

In my club, which is an exhibition layout, we have around 1200 meter of track, and some of our locos run there every opening day and has done so for lots of years. I think our oldest locomotive is a 30 year old Roco. No problems at all. Of course, they need care from time to time, but they still run.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 29 March 2010 03:04:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
steventrain wrote:
Bigdaddynz wrote:

Thanks, David.

Here you are Stephen!

http://rapidshare.com/fi...ies_Episode_6_Part_5.flv
Offline jeehring  
#15 Posted : 29 March 2010 20:49:44(UTC)
jeehring

H0 wrote:
David Dewar wrote:

True.
It was a comparison between BR 218 of several brands, Marklin, Fleischmann,Roco, & some other manufacturers....
A non stop running....
Fleischman: 2400 hours
Marklin: 2200 hours
and Roco: ...900 hours !
Another one did about 500/600 hours, do not remember which one...(another manufacturer of BR 218....I think Brawa was the big looser...)

But, it was the Marklin model of BR 218 with old 3 poles Flat commutator (FCM) motor, from a starter set....I would like to see with the 5 poles DCM motor which is known to have better electrical efficiency than the 3 poles FCM....

The most interesting was the reason why they stopped to work :
Fleischman: heavy failure leading to change transmission and motor.
Marklin: light failure leading to change 1 or 2 (or very few) available parts of the motor....

I would like to see some comparison with Marklin C-sinus motors or SDS-motors (like the new 218)....I think C-sinus with Marklin strong metal transmission would have been the winner...

Edited by user 02 April 2010 05:23:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Brakepad  
#16 Posted : 29 March 2010 21:30:01(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
jeehring wrote:
H0 wrote:
David Dewar wrote:

True.
It was a comparison between BR 218 of several brands, Marklin, Fleischmann,Roco, & some other manufacturers....
A non stop running....
Fleischman: 2400 hours
Marklin: 2200 hours
and Roco: ...900 hours !
Another one did about 500/600 hours, do not remember which one...(another manufacturer of BR 218....I think Brawa was the big looser...)

But, the Marklin model of BR 218 with old 3 poles LFCM motor, from a starter set....I would like to see with the 5 poles DCM motor which has better electrical efficiency than the 3poles LFCM....

The most interesting was the reason why they stopped to work :
Fleischman: heavy failure leading to change transmission and motor.
Marklin: light failure leading to change 1 or 2 (or very few) available parts of the motor....

I would like to see some comparison with Marklin C-sinus motors or SDS-motors (like the new 218)....I think C-sinus with Marklin strong metal transmission would have been the winner...

This is a very interesting topic. Where can I learn some details about this?
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline hgk  
#17 Posted : 30 March 2010 09:18:42(UTC)
hgk

Watched all the differenet programs and episodes- Best use of a Sunday ever.
Thanks for the link.
-George

steventrain wrote:
Hi,

Six video of Jame May's trains on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/...mp;search_type=&aq=f

Offline hxmiesa  
#18 Posted : 30 March 2010 10:52:06(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
jeehring wrote:

It would stop when the tracks where all worn out... LOL
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline steventrain  
#19 Posted : 31 March 2010 20:21:47(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Bigdaddynz wrote:
steventrain wrote:
Bigdaddynz wrote:

Thanks, David.

Here you are Stephen!

http://rapidshare.com/fi...ies_Episode_6_Part_5.flv

Sorry, Rapidshare dont work for me as I am a AOL use.Blushing