Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kodiak  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2010 13:18:49(UTC)
Kodiak

Hi all.

I am currently in the planing stages of a layout using M track, and while I had orginaly planned to do an analog setup and upgrade it to digital at a later date, iv decided to go with digital from the get go.
Currently on ebay is something advertised as Marklin Digital M track isolators. I had a look on the Marklin website, and a browse of some of my older catalogs but I cant find anything on what they are exactly. Will I need them to use a CS2 properly on M track or can I do with out?
John and his M track, the only way to train. Now with added C track and bonus K track.
If your gona be a bear, be a grizzly!
You have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, what ever the hell you wanna do!
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2010 14:08:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Kodiak wrote:
Hi all.

I am currently in the planing stages of a layout using M track, and while I had orginaly planned to do an analog setup and upgrade it to digital at a later date, iv decided to go with digital from the get go.
Currently on ebay is something advertised as Marklin Digital M track isolators. I had a look on the Marklin website, and a browse of some of my older catalogs but I cant find anything on what they are exactly. Will I need them to use a CS2 properly on M track or can I do with out?

Can you show us a link to this? I've no idea what a digital M track isolator could be.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2010 16:04:35(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Ray,

Could this be a fancy name for insulating tape. BigGrin

Ian.
Offline Darren W  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2010 18:46:25(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I have some of the official Marklin isolators. They come in a small strip and are perforated to pop off. They are just a piece of heavyweight paper. They are intended to slip between the centre rail tabs to keep them electrically isolated. A small piece of cardsotck paper will do the same job. Like others have said you could wrap one tab in electrical tape.

Cheers...
Darren
Offline rhobson1968  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2010 19:06:34(UTC)
rhobson1968

Electrical TAPE works great and is much, much cheaper.
Never quit building.
Offline Kodiak  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2010 20:32:32(UTC)
Kodiak

These are a little bit more then some hard card. here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/M...ains?hash=item519117510e

I would of guessed that you put them at different parts of the layout so that the digital setup knows where each train is, one at each end of a station for example, but I'm not sure exactly how the digital system knows where each train is at any given time. is this right? or dose the CS just know where each train is in relation to all the signals and such.
John and his M track, the only way to train. Now with added C track and bonus K track.
You have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, what ever the hell you wanna do!
Offline GSRR  
#7 Posted : 10 March 2010 20:42:58(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Kodiak wrote:
These are a little bit more then some hard card. here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/M...ains?hash=item519117510e

I would of guessed that you put them at different parts of the layout so that the digital setup knows where each train is, one at each end of a station for example, but I'm not sure exactly how the digital system knows where each train is at any given time. is this right? or dose the CS just know where each train is in relation to all the signals and such.

John these are M* 385550 Rockers (old # 38555) both M and K track.

This is for the slider on the lok to transition from one powered section to another. It keeps the digital lok from being powered by two separate power sources. There is some debate here as to their necessity.

The other item is the Centre Conductor Insulator M* 5022 that is placed between track tab contacts.

regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline GSRR  
#8 Posted : 10 March 2010 20:58:49(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
John,

a few questions for you. I believe you are using the 0700 - 25 plan that David sent you? Is your intention to power the entire layout from a CS2 through the track, or will you have separate power blocks like the red, blue and black outlines in the plan? Will you run a seperate feeder wire for the layout?

Will you be installing signals and will they control blocks? Will you be installing any feedback decoders(S88)? How will you control your points (turnouts) by analog or digital?

Do you have a copy of the M* 0341 and 7000/7001 (0340) Signal Books? Also the Marklin Insider Marklin Digital book?

If not look here: marklin-users.net forum » General topics » Collector's Corner » Catalog scans

https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=12093

post # 111

http://www.marklin.com/tech/

http://www.marklin.com/tech/SignalManual.pdf

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Darren W  
#9 Posted : 10 March 2010 21:21:35(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Kodiak wrote:

I thought you were talking about these which are literally just a piece of paper to isolate the 3rd rail on different sections of M-track while keeping the rail ground connected.

http://cgi.ebay.at/Maerk...hnen?hash=item1c10679826

The digital system broadcasts a bit stream on the track it is connected to and the decoders in the locomotives listen to this bit stream and pick up the information packets that belong to them and disregard the rest. MFX decoders can send a signal back to the control unit. If you want the system to know where the locomotive is in realation to signals and such you need to use feedback like the s88. I honestly don't know enough about the feedback system yet.

I hope I am helping and not confusing things more.Unsure

Cheers...
Darren
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 10 March 2010 21:40:14(UTC)
H0

Hi!
GSRR wrote:

Center rail rockers:
M Track: 385550
K Track: 385580
C Track: 204595
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Kodiak  
#11 Posted : 11 March 2010 07:26:00(UTC)
Kodiak

H0 wrote:
Hi!
GSRR wrote:

Center rail rockers:

that's nice. whats a center trail rocker?
Offline xxup  
#12 Posted : 11 March 2010 08:19:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Kodiak wrote:
H0 wrote:
Hi!
GSRR wrote:

Center rail rockers:

that's nice. whats a center trail rocker?

Trust me when I say that you don't need a center rail rocker.. They are things that go between two pieces of m-track and, in effect, leave a speed bump that is higher than your center rail.. To get the locos to go over this speed bump you need to have them travelling at excessive speed..

You only need center rail isolators (I use thick paper between the tabs) when you are using a booster in a digital layout - rockers are not needed. You also need isolators is when you use center rail s88 detection for computer contol.. (see http://www.viessmann-modell.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p517_Feddback-Decoder-with-Track-Occupation-Indicator.html&XTCsid=c0b283d84e1f54f39a84bd3ed8b13e1d ). This form of detection is good for sections of track where you can't get contact tracks (e.g. the 5200 curves)..

One other reason that you might use isolators is if you want to control the locos using signals - I find this to be a very crude and ungraceful way to control locos without investing lots of money on slow down devices and the like.. Computer control is a better way to go, if you plan to have a very large layout..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Kodiak  
#13 Posted : 11 March 2010 12:59:00(UTC)
Kodiak

GSRR wrote:
John,

a few questions for you. I believe you are using the 0700 - 25 plan that David sent you? Is your intention to power the entire layout from a CS2 through the track, or will you have separate power blocks like the red, blue and black outlines in the plan? Will you run a seperate feeder wire for the layout?

Will you be installing signals and will they control blocks? Will you be installing any feedback decoders(S88)? How will you control your points (turnouts) by analog or digital?

Do you have a copy of the M* 0341 and 7000/7001 (0340) Signal Books? Also the Marklin Insider Marklin Digital book?

If not look here: marklin-users.net forum » General topics » Collector's Corner » Catalog scans

https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=12093

post # 111

http://www.marklin.com/tech/

http://www.marklin.com/tech/SignalManual.pdf

Regards,

Thomas

My intention is to run the layout using a CS2 and a computer with a wireless network so I can use the TouchCab app for my iPhone which seems to work similar to a Mobile station but just wirelessly. I will be using a modification of plan 25, with two extra hidden stations added in, one on each mainline, and probably two smaller stations on the branch line, with 3 smaller trains traveling the branch line together, and 6 other trains on the main line, 2 running into the junction station, while the other 4 wait in the Shadow station. I'm thinking I might build the layout for exhibition, just for a bit of fun and an extra challenge to get it spot on.

I gather the contact tracks that xxup mentioned are the pieces with the isolated outer rail, and when there's a train passes over it, it completes the circuit. Is this how the 60880 S88 decoders work?

I gather the decoders are necessary for the use of turn outs, either that or the older 6073 decoders that were available for the M track turn outs, are these worth getting? or am I better off with the 60830 K83 decoder? I want to be able to use the signals on the layout, and have the realistic breaking for signals and such.

how many boosters will need and dose each one need to be isolated from the other? as I mentioned, i want to run between 8 and 10 trains on the layout, although probably only 5 at anyone time.

I'm sure ill have more questions as I learn more about how it works.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Kodiak  
#14 Posted : 11 March 2010 13:11:15(UTC)
Kodiak

Also, what about using the magnets and reed switches? that, and also I don't mind mixing a bit of C track in with the layout if it makes it a bit easier to build.