Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2010 00:35:55(UTC)
James

Canada   
Greetings all:

I was wondering if anyone knows what Maerklin intends to do about this Classic item, which, for all intense purposes, seems to be deleted from this years line-up?

A quick search of Maerklin's website shows that the current models #39563 and #39564 are currently not available at this time and the other two models #39560 and #39562 are no longer in production.

It would seem that this item is something that is becoming more and more scarce, as a search of E Bay or other similar sites reveals that no one is selling this item lately.
Blink
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline Piggy  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2010 00:41:10(UTC)
Piggy

Australia   
Hi James,

There are plenty of 39563 on ebay.de .I think it is just temporary out of stock at Marklin.
Regards
Kenneth
CS1 update - K & C tracks - German Era 3B & 4, with some Swiss and Austrian visitors. - My Layout
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2010 01:15:54(UTC)
H0

Hi, James,
#39563 and #39564 are temporarily not available.
Märklin will produce more of them - you can order them from any dealer, but you may have to wait weeks (or months) till they can be shipped.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline James  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2010 02:57:11(UTC)
James

Canada   
Mike:

Thanks for the info. I know I have seen it listed at Eurorail, but the last time I enquired, about 2 months ago, they told me they didn't have it in stock, although it was listed on their website. I'll give them another call and see if they have one yet, they might have brought one in by now.

As far as going to EBay de is concerned, I was told that they don't always sell to anybody outside of the country, but, I will give it a try as well. Thanks again.Smile
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline rhobson1968  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2010 05:33:37(UTC)
rhobson1968

MS Toys has one for sale on Ebay USA. He ships from Germany. 360230479473 I looked on ebay.de and the one MS toys has listed is cheaper even with shipping.
Never quit building.
Offline Deborail  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2010 09:08:20(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
I am waiting for a trix crocodile no. 22340 and it is on stock at trix and lokshop managed to secure it and I am expecting it in 10 days or so....you could always order that and convert it to 3-rail....
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline TimR  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2010 10:21:38(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Deborail wrote:
I am waiting for a trix crocodile no. 22340 and it is on stock at trix and lokshop managed to secure it and I am expecting it in 10 days or so....you could always order that and convert it to 3-rail....

The Trix model is also slightly cheaper, but...
it comes with a cheaper 5-pole DCM motor as opposed to SDS in Marklin version..
AND
with the Trix model, you still have to save a spare change for decoder; whereas with the Marklin version you'll get an MFX decoder and (sigh) a sound module.

All up, the Marklin version is a better value for 3-railer.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2010 12:06:39(UTC)
H0

TimR wrote:
The Trix model is also slightly cheaper, but...
it comes with a cheaper 5-pole DCM motor as opposed to SDS in Marklin version..

For an mfx sceptic, it's an advantage that the Trix model comes without decoder.
It still has light bulbs (no LEDs), therefore lights look more authentic (no red rear light).

There is one disadvantage: two traction tyres only, and both on the same side.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2010 12:12:10(UTC)
H0

James wrote:
I know I have seen it listed at Eurorail, but the last time I enquired, about 2 months ago, they told me they didn't have it in stock, although it was listed on their website.

Many dealers list all Märklin items on their sites - but they won't get them in stock unless they order them from Märklin.

Did you ask if they ordered those locos?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline James  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2010 12:19:15(UTC)
James

Canada   
TimR wrote:
Quote:
All up, the Marklin version is a better value for 3-railer/quote]

When it comes to the motor, you're absolutely right, but, as far as the sound is concerned, I would think that with this Lok being one of Marklin's trade marks that they would "beef up" the sound offerings.

I've never really figured out why the sound in some of the Loks, like the Swiss Re 460 comes with engine sounds, 2 horns, as well as a start-up motor sound, and yet most of the other Marklin electric engines only offer a horn sound? I'm sure it has to do with the decoders they put into the units, but when it comes to some of the best sellers/premier Loks, it would be nice to have the option to purchase them with all of the bells and whistles (like the recent BR 64 and the BR 23). I say this because I've heard that some of the "Powers that Be" at Marklin do read these posts... sooooo... please, please, please, in the future, when things stabilize at Goppingen, offer more of these... please.
Wink

Perhaps Marklin could come the ability to change or replace certain sound CV's currently offered on their decoders. This could be done by either offering a unit (like a Marklin version only better) of ESU's Lok programer or failing that, the ability to special order this right from the factory. Even if it meant extra money, I for one would purchase certain "Top of the Line" Loks knowing that I could have the ability to change or exchange the onboard sounds.
Woot

But... I digress.....
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Offline TimR  
#11 Posted : 14 February 2010 13:00:24(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
James wrote:

I've never really figured out why the sound in some of the Loks, like the Swiss Re 460 comes with engine sounds, 2 horns, as well as a start-up motor sound, and yet most of the other Marklin electric engines only offer a horn sound? I'm sure it has to do with the decoders they put into the units, but when it comes to some of the best sellers/premier Loks, it would be nice to have the option to purchase them with all of the bells and whistles (like the recent BR 64 and the BR 23).

Reasoning is simple..
If we are going by component prices alone and assuming similar profit %;
MFX decoder with "true" multiple sound functions (Loksound) are around 3 times more expensive than a plain MFX decoder.

A sound module and "horn" sound probably only cost a few Euros... and Marklin could brag that it is an additional selling point that their model has "sound". A true cheap and cost effective way to add value while protecting their profit margin on those models, mostly on the newer ones - which haven't truly paid back their investments.

Re460 as well as this year's BR103 and Ae6/6 are of older tooling that still uses DCM motor. In short, they are comparatively cheaper to built compared to the newer models like E10/E40. A true selling point is therefore needed to make sure they have something to brag about and to justify the list price, which are no more cheaper than many SDS models. Ergo, a full Loksound.

But at least on this year's catalog; Marklin was being a bit more upfront on which model has "extensive sound function" or not.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2010 13:14:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Tim, I agree with your reasoning.

From my point of view, I welcome the addition of a cheap "horn only" sound module as this is the only sound I like to use anyway. The constant chug-chugging or chuff-chuffing of a full sound loco drives me bananas after a few minutes!

I do agree with James though, that they should offer the option of the full sound decoder on the more expensive models, as long as it is not the only version they sell.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Deborail  
#13 Posted : 14 February 2010 15:29:42(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
RayPayas wrote:

From my point of view, I welcome the addition of a cheap "horn only" sound module as this is the only sound I like to use anyway. The constant chug-chugging or chuff-chuffing of a full sound loco drives me bananas after a few minutes!

I do agree with James though, that they should offer the option of the full sound decoder on the more expensive models, as long as it is not the only version they sell.

Well, I still don't know what it's like to have sound on a loco, and I am looking forward to it, in the series 18 and the V300, but unfortunately the krokodile I ordered has no sound.....However, I think Ray is right, the horn is the only sound that will get more use in the long-run.......I mean, I got my layout all set-up in the living room and my wife also like to watch tv when I run the trains...so a lot of sound maybe unwelcome....Glare
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline sudibarba  
#14 Posted : 15 February 2010 04:37:23(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
RayPayas wrote:

Ray,
I agree with you. I have a lot of sound Loks and after a while they only irritate me. I do like to have the option for steam sounds and startup sounds for diesel. Electric sounds mean nothing to me.
But, having said that, sound is not worth $100 to me. I don't think I will ever convert one to sound. Unfortunately, it comes with some new Loks like the New Penn F7 so I will get it anyway.
Sound will be cheaper later as it is a high margin item now. Sound decoders will be standard later at the price of plain decoders today.

Eric