Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rinus  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2010 13:26:59(UTC)
Rinus

The catalogues of Uhlenbrock and Viessmann show some servo's to operate your switches.

Since my present standard Marklin turnout solenoids are both ugly and unreliable, I am planning to replace them with some more realistic and relaible means of turnout engines.

What are your experiences with servo's? How difficult are they to install operate and maintain?
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2010 17:20:20(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, I dont have any experience with the ones you mention, just with M´s own.
To overcome some of the problems you mention, I systematically apply the following modifications to all my M. K-switch motors; (Maybe this can help you re-evaluate M´s motors?)

1) The cut-off end-switches must be bridged with a solder-spot, as they become un-realible after a couple of years.
2) I use the motors with 24Vdc, which works worlds better than 16Vac.
3) For estethic purposes they can be installed up-side down, which permits making them practically invisible once ballasted, while still permitting very easy service and maintenance.

They are still too pricey, but... with the above modifications I am totally satisfied with them!

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Rinus  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2010 11:35:02(UTC)
Rinus

I think a servo can move the frog of a turnout much more realistic. In reallife a turnout isn't set within a second either, but moves slowly. Therefor my M* solenoids will be replaced. The question is by which one? Servo of perhaps the new Viesmann devices?

Im particularly interested in how a Servo engine is conected to a K track turnout. I've noticedthat a thin metal tread is aplied with the servo's to move the frog. But how is this metal tread attached to the frog?
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2010 08:28:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
From booklet with UB81410

UserPostedImage

Rather than connect to the frog, the connection is usually at the broard end of movable rails/tounges, and then in the middle of the moveable tie. This could also be done at the side of the track were the normal point motor resides.

Attachment is "loose". Simple drill a hole in the moveable tie big enough for the wire to pass through. hook the wire over the tie to stop it falling back down.

Peter
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2010 10:47:49(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Evil R wrote:
Im particularly interested in how a Servo engine is conected to a K track turnout. I've noticedthat a thin metal tread is aplied with the servo's to move the frog. But how is this metal tread attached to the frog?

I also have some Tillig motors installed. They switch the point during some 5 seconds. They are cheaper than M´s own motors, and come ready for under-board installation. They are very strong.
I own some 8 motors, but have only installed 2 so far.
I will try to install the rest eventually, but it is definatly not a method that I will be pursuing; Being installed upside down, and sometimes in areas very difficult to access, they are simply too hard to maintain.
To actuate the tracks, I modified some of the hand-levers that comes with every K-tracks switch. It´s not too dificult, but the work must be done VERY precise.
Best regards
Offline Tdl  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2010 11:35:40(UTC)
Tdl

Netherlands   
On my K-track layout I am replacing the M solonoids by Tortoises.
Tortoise is based on a stall motor. They are easy to mount and to adjust and function very reliable.
I operate the Tortoise via K84 decoders.
The activation time for a K84 contact is 5 ms (solonoid min 250 ms), hence the turnouts of a route are being set virtually simultanuously.
And with the current exchange rate Tortoises are very affordable.
One disadvantage: a Tortoise require more space than a M solonoid.

Edited by user 16 February 2010 09:42:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tdl
Offline Rinus  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2010 12:35:10(UTC)
Rinus

Thanks guys! Lots of information!

clapcott wrote:
From booklet with UB81410
Rather than connect to the frog, the connection is usually at the broard end of movable rails/tounges, and then in the middle of the moveable tie. This could also be done at the side of the track were the normal point motor resides.

Attachment is "loose". Simple drill a hole in the moveable tie big enough for the wire to pass through. hook the wire over the tie to stop it falling back down.

Where exactly do you drill a hole in the movable tie? Do you have a picture of it?

hxmiesa wrote:

To actuate the tracks, I modified some of the hand-levers that comes with every K-tracks switch. It´s not too dificult, but the work must be done VERY precise.

Can you describe how?

Tdl wrote:
On my K-track layout I am replacing the M solonoids by Tortoises.
Tortoise is based on a stall motor. They are easy to mount and to adjust and function very reliable.
I operate the Tortoise via K84 decoders.
The activiation time for a K84 contact is 5 ms (solonoid min 250 ms), hence the turnouts of a route are being set virtually simultanuously.
And with current exchange rate Tortoises are very affordable.
One disadvantage: a Tortoise require more space thean a M solonoid.

where do you buy these tortoises? and how do you connect them?
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2010 13:41:27(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Evil R wrote:
Can you describe how?

I can try. (The modification is very simple and obvious anyway)
A small hole (around 0,7mm -just enough for the actuator pin of the Tillig motor) must be made in the horizontal sliding part of the M hand-lever. The motor comes with two kinds of approx. 50mm long springy actuator pins. One 0,3mm and the other 0,6mm diameter. The throw of the motor (actually the end-cutoff switches) are ajustable from 2mm to 10mm total operation.
Also, in the hand-lever, the "snap-points" that holds the switch in place must be cut away, to ease the friction and power needed. (small plastic bits and pieces)
This way the small hand-lever will throw when the motor acutates. The motor also has enough power to turn the M. led-equipped switch lantern.

Although I must repeat that the under-table mouning of the Tillig motor is very uncomfortable (for me).
Best regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Rinus  
#9 Posted : 16 February 2010 20:36:20(UTC)
Rinus

I ordered a Uhlenbrock precision Servo and decoder today, to have a closer look how things work.