Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2010 02:26:34(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm still getting familiar with the new format of the site.

On the way into Europe for a business trip, I've arranged for a night in Stuttgart. I am headed straight from the airport to the Porsche Museum as this is the purpose of the trip, BigGrin but naturally I have to ask: where can I find Marklin around town? Used and/or interesting is preferred, but discount dealers of new stock are of interested as well.

Also, any recommendations for evening restaurants or things to see/do? I've never been...

Also, I'll be working in Amsterdam. Anything in the way of Markling there? (my free day is Sunday so hopefully something will be open)
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2010 03:42:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
John, I know ETS have a shop in Stuttgart City. They sell both new and 2nd hand items.

http://www.modelleisenbahn.com/info/shops_e.php

http://www.modelleisenba...5bce002935280452247bced9

As for Amsterdam, there is the Marklin Store in Amsterdam.

http://www.marklin.nl/de...ers.2007-03-26.111240-14

http://www.marklinstore-amsterdam.nl/
Offline drwhitl  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2010 07:13:19(UTC)
drwhitl

5HorizonsRR wrote:
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm still getting familiar with the new format of the site.

On the way into Europe for a business trip, I've arranged for a night in Stuttgart. I am headed straight from the airport to the Porsche Museum as this is the purpose of the trip, BigGrin but naturally I have to ask: where can I find Marklin around town? Used and/or interesting is preferred, but discount dealers of new stock are of interested as well.......

You'll be pleased to now that according to the map I've got, Goeppingen itself is only about half an inch away from Stuttgart, so shouldn't take you too long to get there, either. BigGrin

cheers
Offline banco  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2010 10:48:46(UTC)
banco

One ,minor word of caution........I'm not sure about Amsterdam as it is a major city but The Dutch tend to close the smaller shops on Sunday..........this will not be the case but as a resident I thought I should share this with youUnsure
C track,6021,large digital loft layout modelled in the legendary European land of "Moresnet"
Offline pab  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2010 11:51:01(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
banco wrote:
One ,minor word of caution........I'm not sure about Amsterdam as it is a major city but The Dutch tend to close the smaller shops on Sunday..........this will not be the case but as a resident I thought I should share this with youUnsure

The Märklin store in Amsterdam is closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Offline pa-pauls  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2010 12:07:35(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hi John BigGrin

As I understand you are interested in car's so what about the Mercedes Benz Museum ? I can recomend it Blink

As David said, the biggest and best shop I would also say is Schweickhardt in Waiblingen. They have a lot of MRR.

And if you have the time the Märklin museum in Göppingen, about 30 min from Stuttgart. It is a must Drool
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Larry  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2010 05:48:51(UTC)
Larry

United States   
I would highly recommend seeing the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. It is an amazing history of Porsche and they have headphones that provide commentary on just about each vehicle.

Don't miss the area of the Marklin Museum in the back where they sell Marklin products which might not be perfect at great prices. I bought the yellow catenary maintenance car at a discount. Checkout the prices of the items in the back on the far right side before buying anything in the main part of the museum.

Amsterdam - Aside from Marklin, take a ride on a canal boat that circles the entire city. The prices are very reasonable and a great way to warm up!

On the weekend don't worry about falling down when walking in the crowded streets of Amsterdam - there is no way to fall down; the crowd will just move you along.

Have a great time and take the ICE from Stuttgart to Amsterdam. You can buy tickets in first class at great prices in advance.
Offline rhobson1968  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2010 06:04:38(UTC)
rhobson1968

I wanna go....
Never quit building.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#9 Posted : 16 February 2010 22:41:56(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm in a rough spot as the day I really have some time to kill in Stuttgart is Sunday, and everyone is closed!

Report to follow...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Falconrep  
#10 Posted : 23 February 2010 01:02:57(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
I have to echo the rest, you CANNOT have come as close as Stuttgart and NOT visit Marklin Mecca! The New Museum is a lot larger than the old one, (I've been to both) has some really cool stuf including a real German Loco Cab all restored. ANd like said before a back room with tons of stock old and new. Take a lot of money if you are a fan, it's hard to get out cheap! At least it has for me.
I've even driven all the way from Brussels (6 1/2 hrs) just to go ther so an hour down the road isn;t anything. it and easy drive, or you can go to hte Stuttgart rail station and get instructions on how to take a train there.
Take a Camera.
Thomas Wondrock
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 25 February 2010 21:05:08(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi John
Yes, the Porsche Museum is an absolute must.
I saw it two weeks after the opening it is just fantastic.
Don't bother about driving or taxi, simply take the S-bahn to the Porsche Platz in Zuffenhausen: the station is 100 feet away from the Museum entrance.
ETS in Waiblingen Benstein is the right spot, but it is a bit off-center in Stuttgart.
Check their website for info, hours,etc. http://www.modelleisenbahn.com/index_e.php
Have fun
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 22 April 2010 01:59:33(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,
it looks like flights to europe have re-commenced just in time for my planned one tomorrow! I wil be landing in Amsterdam on friday and travelling to Assen via train. Other than the Marklin Shop Amsterdam, is there nywhere else on that route worth visiting- preferably with used items?
Cheers,
-JPC
SBB Era 2-5
Offline jerdenberg  
#13 Posted : 22 April 2010 09:43:30(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
No Märklin, but great prototypes: the Dutch Railway Museum in Utrecht?
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline hemau  
#14 Posted : 22 April 2010 19:56:41(UTC)
hemau

5HorizonsRR wrote:
Hi everyone,
it looks like flights to europe have re-commenced just in time for my planned one tomorrow! I wil be landing in Amsterdam on friday and travelling to Assen via train. Other than the Marklin Shop Amsterdam, is there nywhere else on that route worth visiting- preferably with used items?
Cheers,
-JPC

Hi John, Lucky you I hope that you can fly. Things are getting back to normal again.

Don't know how long you will be in Holland but there's a model railroad fair on May 1 in Houten (near Utrecht). Looking from where you come from it's near Amsterdam. I've never been there but I think there will be much second hand stuff there. See on www.modelspoorbeurs.nl for details.
Have a good trip and stay in Europe!
BTW, April 30 is the Queens birthday party. You might want to get some advice what to see or do if you're here then.
Regards, Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline mmervine  
#15 Posted : 23 April 2010 07:11:01(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
In Amsterdam:

http://www.marklinstore-amsterdam.nl/

Easy to get to. Take Metro, Tram, or Train to Zuid station, then just a short walk. Good selection of Marklin and Trix. At this shop, they can give you directions to their main shop here:

http://www.modeltreinen.nl/index1.htm

A little harder to get to. Take Tram 2 to the end of the line, then about a 15min walk. Nice shop with lots of stock.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline RDRBerry  
#16 Posted : 24 April 2010 13:03:20(UTC)
RDRBerry

Also

Harlaar Mdeltrein
Badhoevelaan 53

Badhoevedorp
www.modeltrein.nl

Cheers

Ralph
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021