Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hjh10  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2010 03:11:04(UTC)
hjh10

Hey everyone,

The subject is pretty self explanatory. I found some old marklin railroad with the old blue transformers and I'm keen to have a go at setting it up properly. But I have a problem, I have no clue how to make the signals work. I have a "control panel" (serial number 7072) with red and green buttons and a whole bunch of wires. but I don't know how to incorporate that into the wiring scheme. can anyone help? (diagrams and pictures would be most useful)
Offline Renato  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2010 12:21:39(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi hjh10 and welcome to the forum.

I suppose you do not have the signal instruction manuals, but the connection is very easy:

the signal has 3 plugs: green, red and yellow (sometimes a fourth plug orange); connect the green plug to the green socket on the 7072, the red plug to the red socket on the 7072 and the lateral plug (or socket, they are electrically connected) on the 7072 to the brown socket of the blue transformer. Finally connect the yellow plug to the yellow socket of the blue transformer.
Now you can operate the signal: if you press the green button the signal is set to red and if you press the red button the signal is set to green. Last but not least: to have the lights on you must connect the metallic base plate of the signal to the brown socket of the blue transformer; if you have the metallic tracks put under the track the metallic base plate delivered with the signal and put the signal over it; of course the track must be powered by the blue transformer (brown and red plugs).
This is very simple for the signals of the 70XX series and the 7188 signal.
Hope this can help.

Renato
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2010 12:34:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Welcome to the forum hjh10.

You can download a Marklin Signal Book from the Marklin USA website, which pretty much covers the setup and use of the old style signals.

Go to http://www.marklin.com/tech/ then click on 'Download the 0340 Signal Manual in PDF format.' Save the file somewhere on your PC. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC to be able to read the manual.
Offline Philip  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2010 14:23:15(UTC)
Philip

You can also see how to in this link:

http://www.majhost.com/c...in/gallery.cgi?i=2459144

Philip.

Let's keep it simple.
MFDWPL
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2010 20:19:45(UTC)
Webmaster

And if you go to Philips previous pic (p12-13 of the scanned manual), you can see the signal hookup... RollEyes
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Nightowl4933  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2010 00:25:25(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Bigdaddynz wrote:

You can download a Marklin Signal Book from the Marklin USA website, which pretty much covers the setup and use of the old style signals.

Go to http://www.marklin.com/tech/ then click on 'Download the 0340 Signal Manual in PDF format.' Save the file somewhere on your PC. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC to be able to read the manual.

I wish they did one of these for Z Scale Blushing
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline tcatman  
#7 Posted : 20 March 2010 04:08:10(UTC)
tcatman

wrong thread
Offline Breitenfurt  
#8 Posted : 20 March 2010 10:58:34(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.
Nightowl4933 wrote:
I wish they did one of these for Z Scale

I will scan the appropriate pages from the Track plan book later today or tomorrow.

All the best,
Chris.

[14:40. Pages being sent email now.]

Edited by user 20 March 2010 16:41:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jbn1jbn  
#9 Posted : 01 January 2011 17:35:12(UTC)
jbn1jbn

Can one use the signals such as a 7039 where a 7072 is not used and the signal is purely triggered by a train going another direction?

Happy New Year!

Joe
Offline Breitenfurt  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2011 18:02:04(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Joe.

Not quite sure what you mean there. Are you referring to a single track carrying trains in both directions or a track with others crossing it. Does teh detector track detect to direction of movement (as it does in Z scale)?

Best wishes,
Chris.
Offline jbn1jbn  
#11 Posted : 01 January 2011 19:04:38(UTC)
jbn1jbn

Chris,

I did not do a good job of explaining. Can I use a Circuit track section to switch the signals on and off instead of control box?

thanks

JOe
Offline Breitenfurt  
#12 Posted : 01 January 2011 22:35:17(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Joe.

The simple answer is 'yes'. Personally, I do not clear the signals automatically. I started off that way but went for route selection with the ability to return the signals to danger using a circuit track or a reset from the control panel. Essentially what you need is the following sequence of tracks interspersed with normal track lengths. Circuit track, isolator (placed, say, a loco's length before the signal) the signal, a second isolator (a few cm/inches after the signal) and, finally, another circuit track. The output wire from the first circuit track (make sure you use the right one for your direction) should be connected to the wire that sets the signal to clear. The second circuit track output should be connected to the wire that sets the signal back to danger. you will need one feed to the centre rail/studs on the entry side of the trackwork. A second feed should go to the exit end of the trackwork. Finally, a feed from the exit track should be taken to one side of the signal's built in relay with the other side of the relay connected to the track between the isolators. Make sure that you don't park the loco over the circuit track's switch even with power off. These switches can wear out and become unreliable. When cleaning the track be careful not to damage the switch mechanism. If you want all this drawn out, let me have your email address using a private message and I will draw it out for you (with other, optional, wiring). I have not been able to find it in the signal book.

All the above applies to the semaphore signals. If you are using colour light the connections may be different.

With best wishes,
Chris.
Offline jbn1jbn  
#13 Posted : 02 January 2011 07:14:44(UTC)
jbn1jbn

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I am going to think through what you said before I decide which way to go. Loved your website.

Thanks

Joe
Offline Breitenfurt  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2011 10:56:00(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thanks Joe, and good luck with your layout. I've learned a lot just answering your query. HO is so different from Z scale which, of course, works from DC not AC.

With best wishes,
Chris.