Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LionelMPC  
#51 Posted : 09 January 2010 04:26:43(UTC)
LionelMPC

That's quite a controller setup. Makes my 6021+6036 and 7072 blue boxes seem way out of date! Still, I'm glad to hear that if I'm ever able to afford a CS2 (probably about the time the CS4 comes out!) I can still use my current controllers with it. Thanks!

-James
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#52 Posted : 09 January 2010 19:22:40(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
john black wrote:
Hi Al - now you've beaten me by one controller ... CryingBlinkLOL

Not so much John, only one...
Two years ago the MS from startset on ebay were sold at 40 euro with 36W transformer and connection track.

Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline jeehring  
#53 Posted : 09 January 2010 21:22:21(UTC)
jeehring

clapcott wrote:
graafjp wrote:

When Märklin fixes the 'feature' in the connect 6021 that when restarting the CSII you have to re-enter all mapping addresses from the 6021 to MFX loc's every time ... (as read on stummi's forum: http://stummi.foren-city...46002,-connect-6021.html )

Can someone verify this?
Can Someone test please?

sorry ,I can't give you any results.
On Stummi's forum, it is said that it is about MFX loks only. When re-starting the CS2 it is still possible to drive those mfx loks with the 6021 through the newly assigned adress. Only the display on CS2 screen disappears but the loks are still available through the "modified adress" on the 6021.
One guy thinks that it could be made intentionnally by Marklin. He says that it is to avoid ,for the user , a risk of "double occuppancy of the address" Unsure or something like that......I'm not sure to understand ...Unsure( I'm even sure not to understand what he means with "double occupancy" in this case...Blink
But , to control the MFX loks with CS2 you don't need this "new adress". While for MM2 loks it seems to be clear.

About the 2 or 3 seconds "freeze" of CS2 screen: it happens to only one guy. Other guys seem not to have it...

One thing I like very much is : it seems that there is a way for building/modifying a route on CS2 screen, then assign it to a key on the Memory...(really ?)

Edited by user 10 January 2010 01:03:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Goofy  
#54 Posted : 10 January 2010 02:01:16(UTC)
Goofy

There is one thing i don´t understand about this system...
Why to using 60128 connect,when there is already MM in the new digitalsystem...?
So you don´t need the old system by driving locomotivs.
You save the money,by not shopping 60128 connect or and terminal 60125 by connecting 60128!
I wouldn´t do that.
And the most to thinking like this:Marklin don´t producing old digitalsystem anymore time,thus there is now MM in the new system.

Blink
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#55 Posted : 10 January 2010 02:21:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Goofy wrote:
Why to using 60128 connect,when there is already MM in the new digitalsystem...?
You save the money,by not shopping 60128 connect or and terminal 60125 by connecting 60128!
I wouldn´t do that.
And the most to thinking like this:Marklin don´t producing old digitalsystem anymore time,thus there is now MM in the new system.

Blink

Goofy, that's because you don't have any controllers yet. So for you, you would go and buy a CS2 or an Ecos and start that way. Other people already have lots of older Marklin Digital equipment, and want to be able to continue to use it with their CS2's.

I know someone with a very large layout (over 12m long) who has 6021 / 6036 / 6040 / 6017 located all over his layout. He would still want to use that equipment if he got a CS2. The 60128 Connect - 6021 allows him to do that.

It isn't so much to do with driving MM as you put it, rather it is to do with being able to continue to use remote throttles and keyboards people have on their layouts.
Offline clapcott  
#56 Posted : 10 January 2010 02:31:04(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Goofy wrote:
I wouldn´t do that.

Blink

Goofy,

If you are starting from scratch I agree that this might seem a backward step

However, speaking for myself, there are a couple of reasons this option might be attractive.
1) An older modeler may already have a number of original M-digital components that
- i) They are quite familiar with
- ii) Offer ROI (Return on Investment) rather than be trashed
2) Preference for Ergonomic (tactile feedback from function and accessory buttons) Personally I think this is a biggy
3) Legacy support - not provided by CS2
- i) Wireless (IR) operation 6070 - ( Or similar LocoNet adapter with IRIS/ ESU Mobile Control)
- ii) Switch Board
4) Extra Booster
- i) e.g. using the 6021 to drive Accessories without taking power from the CS2
- ii) Separate track testing/roller-bed

Further it is important that eyes are open to the costs v benifits.
50 Euro for the adapter may be better spent (One option I utilise is a PC with a Loconet adapter) to achieve the same bridging function)
However most people I come across want , first and foremost, a ready to run configuration

As with the IntelliBox when it came along - just because you CAN do most functions within a single box dosn't mean that is the easiest or best option. it is far better and intuative to got straight to the function you want and NOT to have to wast time and energy "selecting the write mode/menu option" beforehand
Peter
Offline Goofy  
#57 Posted : 10 January 2010 02:36:40(UTC)
Goofy

Remember here then in case,that Marklin don´t producing old system anymore time.
So when you are using often old system,it will been not holding so long as you might and restore at Marklin company don´t last all the times.

H0
Offline clapcott  
#58 Posted : 10 January 2010 02:46:13(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
jeehring wrote:
Only the display on CS2 screen disappears but the loks are still available through the "modified adress" on the 6021.
One guy thinks that it could be made intentionnally by Marklin. He says that it is to avoid ,for the user , a risk of "double occuppancy of the address" Unsure or something like that......I'm not sure to understand ...Unsure( I'm even sure not to understand what he means with "double occupancy" in this case...Blink

This consideration is important to understand - (In no way to I call it a problem).

Just as with with a 6021 and 6036s, a conflicting address will be indicated with a flashing of the display.
- Knowing how to perceive this situation on the CS2 is important and helpful

In the 6021 world - entering the address a second time (after the flashing warning) will allow a takeover
- It would be nice if the CS2 has a similar "managed" takeover option.

Given that the 6021 system was only ever able to have 16 throttles, I do see an "operational limitation" if the CS2 system has more than 16 throttles in use (CSs, MSs, other 60128s) but simply being "aware of the behavior" is all I ask.

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#59 Posted : 10 January 2010 02:52:57(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
jeehring wrote:
One thing I like very much is : it seems that there is a way for building/modifying a route on CS2 screen, then assign it to a key on the Memory...(really ?)

This makes perfect sense to me.

- leveraging the graphical capabilities of the CS2 to "build" the route (And edit it later)
- put the Memory into input mode
- Playing the route from the CS2.
- End Memory input mode.

Even doing this manually from the "layout" tab, has got to be more intuative.

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#60 Posted : 10 January 2010 02:59:00(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Goofy wrote:
Remember here then in case,that Marklin don´t producing old system anymore time.
So when you are using often old system,it will been not holding so long as you might and restore at Marklin company don´t last all the times.

I do not understand your point

A lot of modelers still run Analogue only.
There is still a thriving 2nd hand market - just look at eBay to see how the 6021 has retained its value (They are also easier to repair)
And more importantly - if the new system does not do what you want, then why bother (Unless it can be integrated with the old).
Peter
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#61 Posted : 10 January 2010 09:25:04(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Today test: verify loconet
Good news friends, all seems ok, I've connect the IR/loconet adapter to the 60128.
The net included a IB control IB switch and S88 module, all the devices run as usual, the IB switch respond to the S88 input driving turnouts or its routes memorized, the IB control runs like the C80f (plus its functions).
Please note that CS2 don't receive the s88 signal via loconet, consider loconet as a separate world translated by 6021.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Turn off the system mean lost the assigned mfx loco -> 6021, but it doesn't matter to me.

Another thing, only to know, if you have a separate layout connected to the 6021 it respond directly to the 6021/loconet command.
The turnouts respond also to the same CS2 command, the loco only to the 6021/loconet.
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline Goofy  
#62 Posted : 10 January 2010 11:14:47(UTC)
Goofy

clapcott wrote:

I do not understand your point

if the new system does not do what you want, then why bother (Unless it can be integrated with the old).

I did not wrote,that the new system should been "not do what you want"!
I´m writing,that CS2 or and MS1 has MM and mfx too.
The new system stands for both MM and mfx.
So therefore NOT GOOD REASONS by connecting old system via 60128.

Cool
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#63 Posted : 10 January 2010 12:48:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
And Goofy, the reasons why you would do it have already been explained!
Offline graafjp  
#64 Posted : 10 January 2010 13:00:46(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Alberto,

You really make a lot of effort to test all kinds of configurations. I think people like me who are considering to buy the connect 6021 are very pleased with it.

There is one thing I wonder if you tested. When switching a loc function on the loconet (I do that with lissy to switch F2/F3 on or off when a loc passes a lissy receiver) does this change goes through to the CSII?? I installed a Lissy transmitter/receiver this weekend to switch off the sound of a loc when it enters the hidden part of my layout and it would be nice if this funtion also works when the loc is controlled by the CSII.

A little bit off topic but have you ever experienced the 6021 going into stop mode when operationg a switch/signal?
Since I connected the 6021 loconet adapter to my 6021 i have that sometimes. Usually shortly after power up, then the problem gradually disappears.
I even had this when all connections to the tracks/signals/switches was disconnected to rule out a power shortage.

Regards,
Jos
Offline Goofy  
#65 Posted : 10 January 2010 15:44:19(UTC)
Goofy

Bigdaddynz wrote:
And Goofy, the reasons why you would do it have already been explained!

Then in case,accept that i have right!
Don´t argements against me,when you know it yourself what I DID wrote about the new system and old system by using 60128 connecting box.
It was my rights,by writing like this anyway!
It´s nothing you can do about it!

Mad

P.S.
I think 60128 is an limited product,so it wont last for good.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#66 Posted : 10 January 2010 15:55:34(UTC)
Goofy

clapcott wrote:

There is still a thriving 2nd hand market - just look at eBay to see how the 6021 has retained its value (They are also easier to repair)

They have become lesser at ebay.
To repair old system costs!!!
Because there is no more warranty for the old system.
Many customer are forcement to payment for transport and to repair damage CU6021 in case!
It´s more cheaper to buy an MS1.
It´s even cheaper to buy an MS1,instead of connecting box 60128 or and terminal box 60125.
This way by using old system and the new system via 60128 connectingbox don´t makes an good sense for me!

Cool
H0
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#67 Posted : 10 January 2010 16:21:14(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
graafjp wrote:
Alberto,

When switching a loc function on the loconet (I do that with lissy to switch F2/F3 on or off when a loc passes a lissy receiver) does this change goes through to the CSII?? A little bit off topic but have you ever experienced the 6021 going into stop mode when operationg a switch/signal?

Since I connected the 6021 loconet adapter to my 6021 i have that sometimes. Usually shortly after power up, then the problem gradually disappears.
I even had this when all connections to the tracks/signals/switches was disconnected to rule out a power shortage.

Hi Jos,
I don't have a lissy to test, but all the signal produced by loconet are converted by the IR interface and sent to CS2 via 60128>6021, included switching F2/F3, lissy only push a virtual button, no?
No problem observed for the second question.
Thanks for your comment :-)
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline Webmaster  
#68 Posted : 10 January 2010 16:32:46(UTC)
Webmaster

Goofy, this topic is not about what you think about digital systems.

Alberto is trying out the possible combinations so we can see all the options for interconnecting older stuff with the help of the 60128 box. It is an interesting test session, please don't spoil it with irrelevant comments.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Goofy  
#69 Posted : 10 January 2010 16:44:32(UTC)
Goofy

Webmaster wrote:

Alberto is trying out the possible combinations so we can see all the options for interconnecting older stuff with the help of the 60128 box. It is an interesting test session, please don't spoil it with irrelevant comments.

Yes i know it!
But i´m just only writing about realism by presentation 60128 connecting box as unnecessary.
Why...?
Because if you shall using old system via 60128,you must divided up tracksection anyway and that means you loss mfx repeating on the old system track area when you are using mfx locomotiv.
You must divided up section anyway!
That makes not good senses by acting like this by using 60128 still afterall!
You are using booster or mfx booster too by divided up sections at layout.

H0
Offline Fredrik  
#70 Posted : 10 January 2010 17:28:56(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Goofy wrote:
Webmaster wrote:

Yes i know it!
But i´m just only writing about realism by presentation 60128 connecting box as unnecessary.
Why...?
Because if you shall using old system via 60128,you must divided up tracksection anyway and that means you loss mfx repeating on the old system track area when you are using mfx locomotiv.

But then Goofy - why don't you start your own thread which deals with this issue, instead of writing off-topic comments in this one?? You knpw everone is free to start their own threads about issues that interest them. Then all interested people of the "unneccessary 60128" will follow your thread.

You will never find ALL people thinking you are right just because you want to - they might have a different point of view where you're totally wrong whilst you're thinking you're completely right - only these 2 points of view will never match up...

So - knock it off in this thread, and start your own! What you think of the 60128 is irrelevant in this thread!
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline Goofy  
#71 Posted : 10 January 2010 17:35:35(UTC)
Goofy

MJ-Teknik wrote:
Goofy wrote:
Webmaster wrote:

Yes i know it!
Why...?

But then Goofy - why don't you start your own thread which deals with this issue, instead of writing off-topic comments in this one?? You knpw everone is free to start their own threads about issues that interest them. Then all interested people of the "unneccessary 60128" will follow your thread.

You will never find ALL people thinking you are right just because you want to - they might have a different point of view where you're totally wrong whilst you're thinking you're completely right - only these 2 points of view will never match up...

So - knock it off in this thread, and start your own! What you think of the 60128 is irrelevant in this thread!

The story is about by using 60128 or not...
So anything that has to do about 60128,allows by writing like this.
Or perhaps you want to ask Lutz Hemmerich first...??? BigGrin

Huh
H0
Offline davemr  
#72 Posted : 10 January 2010 18:59:42(UTC)
davemr

Alberto. That is a great setup you have. I think you have just joined Peter (Clapcott) as our resident model rail genius.

Goofy my friend allow others to use the equipment that benefits them even if you dont like it.

dave
davemr
Offline graafjp  
#73 Posted : 10 January 2010 20:41:27(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Alberto Pedrini wrote:
Hi Jos,
I don't have a lissy to test, but all the signal produced by loconet are converted by the IR interface and sent to CS2 via 60128>6021, included switching F2/F3, lissy only push a virtual button, no?
No problem observed for the second question.
Thanks for your comment :-)

Hi Alberto,

Yes, I programmed Lissy to 'push the F2 or F3 button'. So if the 60128 communicates function keys to the CSII than all should work as I would like.

About the second problem, this afternoon when demonstrating this function to a friend of mine we noticed that this problem always occurred at the same spot of the layout when a loc was running there. (Near a breaking section). So i'm gonna investigate this week if there is some short occurring. Furthermore if the problem persist I will open a new topic as this has nothing to do with the 60128 topic.
Regards,
Jos
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#74 Posted : 10 January 2010 21:09:30(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
To all,
I'm not a "power user" autorized to test device, I don't communicate at all with Maerklin.
So take my test as simply "what happen if I do it?" done by one "end user".
If you damage your devices connecting not Merklin IR device you aren't under warranty.
But, at last, I'm very happy after my test BigGrin
bye
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline steventrain  
#75 Posted : 10 January 2010 21:30:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have the CS2 but the '6021' not showing on CS2 screen without 60128.

If i plugged 60128 to CS2 and '6021' Show up on CS2 Screen?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#76 Posted : 10 January 2010 21:41:15(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
steventrain wrote:

Yes Steven
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline steventrain  
#77 Posted : 10 January 2010 22:01:01(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Alberto Pedrini wrote:
steventrain wrote:

Yes Steven

Thanks very much.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#78 Posted : 14 January 2010 00:27:32(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
This evening test

Configuration
UserPostedImage

After a shutdown BigGrin all remain assigned
UserPostedImage

CS1 workspace
UserPostedImage

double slip turnout
UserPostedImage

I don't have another CS2 or CS1 to test connection, sorry
bye
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline river6109  
#79 Posted : 14 January 2010 04:02:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Lutz,
Know I now why you and the Märklin system work so well together.
Märklin must of realized the potential genetic similarities:
Still needs certain enhancement and shows some limitations, difficult to communicate with, complicated wire and system connections, responding in a simple fashion to the new and old.,

I wonder sometimes, is it you or the system, or both, that needs constant updating, corrections and reminders.

Alberto, thanks for your valid input, mind you it is a jungle of components and I don't think there will be an end to it all, with new technology around the corner every day.
It could be, your components will take up more room than your layout itself.
Not many people know, Goofy is a genius, he always answers his own questions, over and over again.

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline nevw  
#80 Posted : 16 January 2010 00:45:56(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Please do not feed the Trolls>

NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline nevw  
#81 Posted : 16 January 2010 00:47:07(UTC)
nevw

Australia   

UserPostedImage
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline davemr  
#82 Posted : 16 January 2010 13:57:08(UTC)
davemr

Alberto. Many thanks for your efforts.. great stuff. You are an expert with control.

Nev. So thats what our troll looks like.
davemr
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#83 Posted : 16 January 2010 14:39:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Once again, posts have been deleted, although I do have a copy of them somewhere!
Offline pa-pauls  
#84 Posted : 16 January 2010 15:01:13(UTC)
pa-pauls

Thank's Alberto !

Many nice photo's and good explanation's of all your testing Cool

Personally I don't have my 6021 anymore but I do like to follow topic's like this and see what is working i.e. not working together. Really nice BigGrin
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Goofy  
#85 Posted : 16 January 2010 16:27:36(UTC)
Goofy

Let us to start to vote,for how many of you member who are using this kind of connecting between two different digitalsystem like what Alberto did!
I don´t think anyone of others member would buy an connecting 60128,when there is already all functional at CS2 which is enough to control train layout!

LOL
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#86 Posted : 16 January 2010 19:38:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Goofy wrote:
I don´t think anyone of others member would buy an connecting 60128,when there is already all functional at CS2 which is enough to control train layout!

LOL

Clapcott already has a 60128 Connect – 6021 on the way to NZ, should arrive next week. He is very interested in the possibilities of connecting a loconet adapter to a CS2 via the 6021 / 60128 Connect – 6021.
Offline graafjp  
#87 Posted : 16 January 2010 19:50:26(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Bigdaddynz wrote:
Goofy wrote:

LOL

Clapcott already has a 60128 Connect – 6021 on the way to NZ, should arrive next week. He is very interested in the possibilities of connecting a loconet adapter to a CS2 via the 6021 / 60128 Connect – 6021.

So am I. Want to connect my existing setup 6021-6040-6043-loconet adapter with track-control and lissy to the CSII.

Old system is in place, connect 6021 bought yesterday.
Still waiting for my CSII to arrive.
Regards,
Jos
Offline nevw  
#88 Posted : 17 January 2010 00:27:56(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
BIg Daddy remember the Poster above. AS I will.

also remember that his posts only have a life of a few hours specially when the Webmaster edits one them
Offline grnwtrs  
#89 Posted : 19 January 2010 01:01:33(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Hi all:

Great topic: but I am wondering if in the end the topic should be renamed:

What MARKLIN DID TO ME TODAY!! To match the earlier topic WHAT DID YOU DO FOR
MARKLIN TODAY!! Bored

Thanks to mainly Alberto P. and Peter C. who kept all on topic.

I have been on the edge of the new CS2 or whatever it is currently called,
but I think the new marklin stuff? ( term used loosely) isn't for the faint of
heart.

All of this rings up the early days of personal computers and the related software.
The pointy fingers in both directions.

As it is with me now, I will wait for another 2+ years until it (hopefully) gets
sorted out. I myself don't want to be another pilgrim. I have a couple
kof's loks (36801) that won't run. So they have to go back. Then there is the PA-1
Alco NY Central whose marker lites won't lite. Again I guess I don't know the secret
handshake.

Thanks again to Alberto and Peter who toughed it all out for us outsiders.

Gene

Offline grnwtrs  
#90 Posted : 19 January 2010 07:01:23(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Hi all:

Great topic: but I am wondering if in the end the topic should be renamed:

What MARKLIN DID TO ME TODAY!! To match the earlier topic WHAT DID YOU DO FOR
MARKLIN TODAY!! Bored

Thanks to mainly Alberto P. and Peter C. who kept all on topic.

I have been on the edge of the new CS2 or whatever it is currently called,
but I think the new marklin stuff? ( term used loosely) isn't for the faint of
heart.

All of this rings up the early days of personal computers and the related software.
The pointy fingers in both directions.

As it is with me now, I will wait for another 2+ years until it (hopefully) gets
sorted out. I myself don't want to be another pilgrim. I have a couple
kof's loks (36801) that won't run. So they have to go back. Then there is the PA-1
Alco NY Central whose marker lites won't lite. Again I guess I don't know the secret
handshake.

Thanks again to Alberto and Peter who toughed it all out for us outsiders.

Gene

Offline clapcott  
#91 Posted : 23 January 2010 10:04:23(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Edit: WARNING : Until some correlation is forthcoming, the possibility exists that the following observations are made based on a faulty product

A couple of operational "considerations" that I think need to be highlighted.
(from my experience - you mileage may vary)

Remember that Marklin Documentation states not to use the 6021 track output....
But ...

Note 1: ideosyncracies differ depending on the state of DIP switch 2

1) Accessory activity is Bi-directional
- the 6021 thus becomes a nice separate booster for Accessories (up to address 256)
- However - the CS2 (when on STOP) can continue to send changes to the 6021 (on GO) and the 6021 will action them BUT the icons on the CS2 DO NOT reflect this

2) Power Stop/Go IS NOT Bi-directional
- The CS2 Stop key will toggle the 6021 on and off
- The 6021 will "Stop" the CS2 BUT WILL NOT cause a "GO"

3) Locomotive Speed/Reverse commands ARE NOT Bi-directional
- Locos on track connected to the 6021 can be controlled by the 6021 as expected, and those commands do get sent to the CS2. However commands to the same loco address from the CS2 do not get sent to the 6021.
- This includes the Reverse function - therefore the Up/Down direction arrows on the 6021 will not accurately match the actual direction of the loco on the CS2 if the loco is controlled (over time) by both.
- while Speed Command are not "automatically" sent. Reverse and AUX Function are (maybe). BUT Because the the command for Revers and F0 include a speed value, it will get through.

4) Locomotive Extend Functions (F1,F2,F3,F4) are sometimes bi-directional
- The first time a loco is dialed up on the 6021 it will not know what EFs the CS2 may have previously set (and the CS2 does not send it an update - I would call this a bug)
- With a loco dialed up (Loco-B), EFs will be reflected both ways
- If a new loco (Loco-C) is dialed up (one not used on the 6021 since poweron) changes made to LocoB by the CS2 will not be seen when Loco-B is again retrieved on the 6021
- If an old loco (Loco-A) is dialed up (That had been used on the 6021 since poweron ) then changes made to Loco-B by the CS2 will be seen when Loco-B is again retrieved on the 6021

Separately And this not really a Marklin issue
Uhlenbrock/loconet
6021 to LocoNet adapter (at least mine)
- CAN work
- However I am fairly easily able to cause a Hang of the system.
I have not quite worked out exactly what sequence triggers this.

While the situation can be partially cleared by pressing Stop/Go a couple of times, subsequently I encounter a situation where changing a point/signal on a CS2 causes a system STOP. To fully clear, I need to power off the 6021 remove the adapter and Power on - the CS2 does not need to be power cycled or reset.

Intellibox
- IB recieves Accessory changes from CS2 but does not send them
- Locomotive commands fail in either direction

Has anyone had similar experience ?

Edited by user 24 January 2010 08:51:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline jeehring  
#92 Posted : 24 January 2010 03:17:31(UTC)
jeehring

clapcott wrote:
A couple of operational "considerations" that I think need to be highlighted.
(from my experience - you mileage may vary)

Remember that Marklin Documentation states not to use the 6021 track output....
But ...
....(...)...

2) Power Stop/Go IS NOT Bi-directional
- The CS2 Stop key will toggle the 6021 on and off
- The 6021 will "Stop" the CS2 BUT WILL NOT cause a "GO"

3) Locomotive Speed/Reverse commands ARE NOT Bi-directional
- Locos on track connected to the 6021 can be controlled by the 6021 as expected, and those commands do get sent to the CS2. However commands to the same loco address from the CS2 do not get sent to the 6021.
- This includes the Reverse function - therefore the Up/Down direction arrows on the 6021 will not accurately match the actual direction of the loco on the CS2 if the loco is controlled (over time) by both.

...(...)...

Thank you Clapcott for interesting contributions.

About 2) as the stop key is mainly for urgent stop...I think the job is done (to play again, no matter which key we have to press - just my 2 cents...).

About 3) you said " Locos on track connected to the 6021 ", is my English playing tricks on me Unsure or did you mean that "track is really connected to the output of the 6021" ?
If yes, do you mean that all experiences mentionned by you are with "track connected to the output" ? (or is my English getting me into trouble for good ? Cursing )

About speed command : I think it cannot logically be sent from CS2 to 6021 because control knob and display are different. I find normal that it can be sent from 6021 to CS2 for the same reasons . Control knob of CS2 (or IB) is always at correct position. BTW in this case are you talking about the command, or the display of information of speed, or both "command + display" ?

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#93 Posted : 24 January 2010 03:23:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I think you read it correctly Roland, Peter has been experimenting with track being connected to the output of the 6021.

In theory there should be no risk in doing this, providing there is no possibility of track connected to a 6021 being bridged to track connected to a CS2.
Offline jeehring  
#94 Posted : 24 January 2010 03:47:43(UTC)
jeehring

thank you David .

(BTW ,sorry to be out of topic, just for a short answer : The title of the movie was " UTU" in 1983 . My first contact with New Zealand cinema.Thanks for the panorama about New Zealand cinema .)
Offline clapcott  
#95 Posted : 24 January 2010 09:05:14(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I have updated my original post,
Because of the number of ideosyncracies I have encounted I cannot discount a faulty unit.

I really would appreciate some confirmation or contradiction to my experiences.

2 items in particular

- the basic Stop/Go obesrvation
- The 6021 not keeping in sync with the CS2 (the state of the F0,F1,F2,F3,F4)
Peter
Offline graafjp  
#96 Posted : 08 April 2010 17:33:00(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
clapcott wrote:
I have updated my original post,
Because of the number of ideosyncracies I have encounted I cannot discount a faulty unit.

I really would appreciate some confirmation or contradiction to my experiences.

2 items in particular

- the basic Stop/Go obesrvation
- The 6021 not keeping in sync with the CS2 (the state of the F0,F1,F2,F3,F4)

Hi Peter,

At last my CS2 arrived a week ago, so I started some testing with the connect-6021

I can confirm your stop/go observations. I see the same behaviour.
Also the 6021 synching behaviour with the CS2 is the same over here.
Furthermore I have a problem to get the direction arrows on the 6021 sync'ed to the arrows on the CS2.
In my situation the 6021 arrows are 'reverse', so down arrow on 6021 is right arrow on CS2.

Furthermore I noticed that a change in direction on CS2 is only displayed on 6021 when you change the speed on the 6021 when this loc is dialed up.

Regards
Jos
Regards,
Jos
Offline graafjp  
#97 Posted : 08 April 2010 17:44:22(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
HI to all,

Has someone conducted tests with the connect-6021 with the 6043 memory unit?
I do have some problems using them.

One memory is always working correctly (mem3), this is that when a route is switched on this memory the corresponding keyboard lights are getting set and also the track switches are placed in correct order via the CS2.

Another memory does this also (mem1) , but ONLY when it is the only memory connected to the connect-6021. When I add another memory (with a different address) the only thing that happens is that the lights on the attached keyboard change but nothing happens in the CS2. The other memory that is always working correctly is still doing the job. Also when i switch memories in the chain the problem still occurs.

So
keyboard-mem1-connect6021-6021=ok
keyboard-mem3-connect6021-6021=ok
but
keyboard-mem1-mem3-connect6021-6021 -> mem3=ok, mem1 only switches lights on keyboard not in CS2
keyboard-mem3-mem1-connect6021-6021 -> mem3 still ok, mem1 partially working.

also i have another memory (mem2) that is not working at all, even when used in the keyboard-mem2-c6021-6021 configuration.

I think memory 3 is the newest one, on the bottom there are the following indications:
mem1: 14AB9801823
mem2: D2108441
mem3: 14AB0002575

If someone has tested their memory unit and it's working ok, please check the label on the bottom of the unit.
Perhaps Märklin tested only the newest version of this device ....

Regards, Jos
Regards,
Jos
Offline clapcott  
#98 Posted : 09 April 2010 00:05:25(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
graafjp wrote:
HI to all,
Has someone conducted tests with the connect-6021 with the 6043 memory unit?
I do have some problems using them.

Hi Jos, I have been testing with only one memory (11AA9500202) which I would call "operational" so does not tie in with your Mem2

Could you please indicate if the instructions on page 17 of the UG have been used and to what effect
"!All of the routes already entered in the Memory must be expanded with the key sequence “extern“ and “A5“ in order to guarantee safe, reliable operation. "

As per some of my previous posts I have also found that the symptoms "move" dependent on which Keyboard panel is called up on the CS2.
Do you see similar variations ?
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#99 Posted : 09 April 2010 00:09:24(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
graafjp wrote:

Hi Peter,
I can confirm your stop/go observations. I see the same behaviour.
Also the 6021 synching behaviour with the CS2 is the same over here.
Furthermore I have a problem to get the direction arrows on the 6021 sync'ed to the arrows on the CS2.
In my situation the 6021 arrows are 'reverse', so down arrow on 6021 is right arrow on CS2.

Furthermore I noticed that a change in direction on CS2 is only displayed on 6021 when you change the speed on the 6021 when this loc is dialed up.

Regards
Jos

Thanks Jos, appreciate the sanity check!
Peter
Offline graafjp  
#100 Posted : 09 April 2010 00:54:50(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Peter,

Expanding a route with "extern A5" did not make a difference. The speed in which the 6043 memory switches routes is almost the same speed as the memory function in the CS2 when using this "extern A5" addition.

The "keyboards lights only" symptom has also been mentioned on Stummi's Forum but never had a follow up to what the cause of this symptom is.
I send an e-mail today to Marklin support about this problem, so let's hope there is some follow up from their point. I see no limitations in the connect-6021 manual regarding number of memories and specific versions of them.

Also remarkable is that Alberto tested the 6021 loconet adapter and all seemed to work perfectly.
When I connect the 6021 loconet adapter (without loconet devices) I experience the same problem you have that the CS2 goes in stop mode when switching something on the CS2 keyboards....but sometimes is also works...
When attaching a keyboard to the 6021 chain I could switch accessories on the CS2 without going into stop mode when the 6040 keyboard and CS2 keyboard are the same address. When switching to another CS2 keyboard the problem was there again.

I will do some more test on the loconet/keyboards. Until now I was really focused on the memory behaviour because my layout is in a stage that I am working on the landscape and I don't want to tear it partially down to modify my shadow stations that are controlled by 2 memories in "interlock" mode.

Regards,
Jos