Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Maurice  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2009 02:43:36(UTC)
Maurice

New Zealand   
Hello
I have set up a 6021 control unit on a test track (not my layout) and have tried to change the address on an mfx Markin factory installed decoder from 03 to 07.
I have put loco on track, turned control unit on, pressed stop, entered address 80, pressed go and reverse, entered parameter 01 reverse and then entered address 07 reverse then pressed stop and go but have not had any success. I do not flashing lights on the locomotive so assume I have not managed to get it into programming mode. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? I have attempted to follow the instructions in the supplied Marklin systems manual that came with the locomotive and I am sure it is mfx.

Secondly, how do you change the address on lok pilot decoder with a 6021 - is it the same process?

Thank you Maurice.
Offline sudibarba  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2009 03:46:23(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maurice
<br />Hello
I have set up a 6021 control unit on a test track (not my layout) and have tried to change the address on an mfx Markin factory installed decoder from 03 to 07.
I have put loco on track, turned control unit on, pressed stop, entered address 80, pressed go and reverse, entered parameter 01 reverse and then entered address 07 reverse then pressed stop and go but have not had any success. I do not flashing lights on the locomotive so assume I have not managed to get it into programming mode. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? I have attempted to follow the instructions in the supplied Marklin systems manual that came with the locomotive and I am sure it is mfx.

Secondly, how do you change the address on lok pilot decoder with a 6021 - is it the same process?

Thank you Maurice.

When I first got my 6021 (now use CS2) the mistake I made was in the reversing sequence. I reversed all the way over to the stop. Just reverse until you hear the click. This may not be your problem, but it caused me a lot of grief.
Eric
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2009 04:28:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Maurice,

To program Locos with 6021

1) reset - stop + go (hold both together)
2) dial up number 80
3) stop
4) reverse + go - lights should flash (hold go while clicking the reverse switch)
5) select prameter (e.g. 01 for address) - select reverse
6) dial value (lights should start flashing real fast) - select reverse
7) stop
8) go
9) test new setting

Common Settings

01 Address - value 01 - 80
03 Accleration/Braking Delay - value 01 - 31
05 Max Speed - value 01 - 63
08 Reset - value 08

It sounds like this is the process you are using. Sometimes you may need to try several times to get it to work. The process is also the same for Lokpilot decoders.

It does not make any difference whether the decoder is mfx or not, as you are actually programming the decoder's Marklin Motorola parameters, not the mfx parameters.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline LionelMPC  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2009 06:16:06(UTC)
LionelMPC

It took me a few tries to figure out how to do this, but once I got the hang of it, it was no problem.

From my experience, it seems to be important that you hold the knob in reverse before and while you press the go button. Also, even if you just turned the unit on, it still seems to need a reset (don't understand that one entirely).

Good luck!

-James
Offline foumaro  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2009 09:27:47(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
You must entered the locomotive's adress and not adress 80.The manual
saying entered the number 80 for example.So if the loco is 39050 BR05
you have to enter 05,if the loco is 39390 BR 39 you have to enter 39
if the loco is 37030 BR38 you have to enter 38.Read the loco's manual
to know about her digital adress.I hope i help you.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2009 09:35:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by foumaro
<br />You must entered the locomotive's adress and not adress 80.

Actually, you can enter either 80, or the loco's address, both will work! 80 is useful for when you do not know the loco's address, and will work just fine.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 29 December 2009 11:42:08(UTC)
H0

The important points I found are:
1. CU 6021 must be freshly powered up (otherwise reset it)
2. Press STOP
3. Select address 80
4. Turn knob to reversing position and hold it there
5. Press GO (while you still hold the knob in the reversing position)
6. Wait for the lights to start flashing while you still hold the knob in the reversing position (can take 2 to 5 seconds)
7. No flashing lights: try again from 1.

I always try 80 and it works fine for me.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 29 December 2009 11:47:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
H0 was right, I have no issue with change the address/sounds volume with 6021.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 29 December 2009 13:16:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There is another important point not mentioned here. There must not be any other loco on the track when you are trying to program the decoder, otherwise the process will fail and your loco can stay in a non-defined state. This has happened to me. If it does happen. leave the loco for 24 hours and then try again.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 29 December 2009 13:32:28(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
<br />There must not be any other loco on the track when you are trying to program the decoder, otherwise the process will fail and your loco can stay in a non-defined state.

Not neccessarily so.
Normally all locos on the track will be programmed at the same time.
I once made that mistake and ended up with half a dozen mfx locos listening to the same MM address.

Anyway it's good to have only one loco on the track while programming.

BTW: the DIP switches on the CU 6021 must be set to emit old motorola protocol for the programming. The default settings (2: on, 1, 3, 5: off) will work.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 29 December 2009 14:33:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Tom, after it happened to me twice I decided not to risk it again. Now I always put just one loco on the track for programming, and have not had the same problem again.

Maybe it happens when the locos on track have different types of decoder?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Maurice  
#12 Posted : 29 December 2009 19:52:53(UTC)
Maurice

New Zealand   
Thank you for all for the advice - I will try again later today.
My test track is just a short length on a piece of scrap wood attached to a spare 6021 and transformer so no other locomotives are on the track at same time. Consequently, the potential for resetting more than one decoder will be avoided!
Regards, Maurice.

Offline perz  
#13 Posted : 29 December 2009 21:49:43(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I noted an oddity with the new non-ESU mfx decoders: They need to see pure MM signalling for about one second before they will respond to programming with the 6021. In odd cases this could make the first attempt(s) to program them with a 6021 go wrong. It usually works at the 2nd or 3rd attempt.
Offline sudibarba  
#14 Posted : 31 December 2009 04:23:49(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Everyone has made great comments. I will state one more time. The manual says to reverse until you hear click (to the best of my memory). If you go past that, until the physical stop point of the rotation, I think you will have problems. Once I stopped doing that I had no further problems programming with the 6021.
Eric
Offline Gary Gibler  
#15 Posted : 19 November 2015 19:29:21(UTC)
Gary Gibler

United States   
Okay I figured out the start/up and shutdown,bell horn and cab chatter,but I have no headlight just marker lights and no movement of the locomotive. Any suggestions on programing this?

Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 19 November 2015 19:59:01(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Gary Gibler Go to Quoted Post
Any suggestions on programing this?
Is it time to get out our crystal balls? Or will you tell us which loco your are talking about, what you have tried so far, and what you want to achieve?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Gary Gibler  
#17 Posted : 19 November 2015 20:37:13(UTC)
Gary Gibler

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Is it time to get out our crystal balls? Or will you tell us which loco your are talking about, what you have tried so far, and what you want to achieve?

MTH 80-2247-5 Proto Sounds 3E+ 3rd rail AC I don't know how I got the startup and the others I mention I was reading these post. Headlight and making it move that's it Thanks Gary

Offline Gary Gibler  
#18 Posted : 19 November 2015 20:41:35(UTC)
Gary Gibler

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

With Marklin 6021 Control Unit

Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 19 November 2015 21:00:04(UTC)
H0

This thread is about mfx.

The MTH decoder problem should be discussed here:
https://www.marklin-user...-control-unit#post501134
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline SvenM  
#20 Posted : 06 April 2020 13:27:10(UTC)
SvenM

Australia   
Hi All,

I have just recently got back into running my engines again (and what else is there to do at the moment when you are stuck inside at the moment?) and have really enjoyed reading the many posts on this fabulous forum. I am not sure whether this is the right spot but, it seemed logical as, I have a similar question and now, I would like some help please.

I have a 6020 with a with a Control 80 and a Control 80F. I have a number of engines that I have recently installed an ESU LokPilot 4.0 (54610). Their CV's are all set to 03. When I have followed the instructions here (and in the ESU manual), I get the flashing light sequences and input the new CV then, nothing happens. I have tried it a few times and have not had any luck.

My question is, can you change the CV with the above set up? How many times does it generally take before it works? I am finding it really frustrating as I can only run one engine at a time Confused

Thank you in advance,
Sven
Offline bph  
#21 Posted : 06 April 2020 17:40:27(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: SvenM Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

I have just recently got back into running my engines again (and what else is there to do at the moment when you are stuck inside at the moment?) and have really enjoyed reading the many posts on this fabulous forum. I am not sure whether this is the right spot but, it seemed logical as, I have a similar question and now, I would like some help please.

I have a 6020 with a with a Control 80 and a Control 80F. I have a number of engines that I have recently installed an ESU LokPilot 4.0 (54610). Their CV's are all set to 03. When I have followed the instructions here (and in the ESU manual), I get the flashing light sequences and input the new CV then, nothing happens. I have tried it a few times and have not had any luck.

My question is, can you change the CV with the above set up? How many times does it generally take before it works? I am finding it really frustrating as I can only run one engine at a time Confused

Thank you in advance,
Sven

Have done some cv programming with 6021, including esu decoders. And according to Märklin it should work with 6020 as well.
https://www.maerklin.de/de/service/technische-informationen/ link to English instruction on the German page only.
It sometimes misses if I’m to quick with the commands, so take it slowly. and remember if you want address 7, enter 07. Give it some tries with only 6020 and 80f freshly powered on and the locomotive alone on the tracks. not too far away from the power track.

Offline tonyfh  
#22 Posted : 06 April 2020 18:01:59(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello Sven,

Is it possible that your engines are from the same time period as your 6020?

If that is so your engines are almost sure fitted with the old style decoders where you have to change the adress with dipswitches.
So, before you try again, open up your engines and check if the decoders have dipswitches or not.
In case the decoders do not have dipswitches follow exactly the steps Tom (HO) posted earlier.

A table with dipswitch settings you can find somewhere on the forum I think.
If not, please let us know so we can provide you with a copy.

Good luck, Tony.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 07 April 2020 08:08:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: tonyfh Go to Quoted Post
Hello Sven,

Is it possible that your engines are from the same time period as your 6020?

If that is so your engines are almost sure fitted with the old style decoders where you have to change the adress with dipswitches.
So, before you try again, open up your engines and check if the decoders have dipswitches or not.
In case the decoders do not have dipswitches follow exactly the steps Tom (HO) posted earlier.

A table with dipswitch settings you can find somewhere on the forum I think.
If not, please let us know so we can provide you with a copy.

Good luck, Tony.

You didn't read his post correctly.

1. he has ESU decoders. ESU have never made a decoder with DIP switches.

2. He goes through the process to put the decoder into programming mode and the lights flash as expected to signify it is in programming mode. The decoders with DIP swithces have never ever done this.

Offline mvd71  
#24 Posted : 07 April 2020 08:37:51(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Can you please give a step by step break down of the process you are following and the values you are entering? That will help us understand what you are doing and if you are making any errors. It should work with the 6020 and control 80

Cheers....

Mike
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 07 April 2020 08:57:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: SvenM Go to Quoted Post
I get the flashing light sequences and input the new CV then, nothing happens.
It's the most difficult part to get the lights flashing.

Then you select address 01 and reverse the direction - the lights should react now and continue flashing at a higher pace.
Then you select the new loco address you want and reverse direction again - the lights should react now and continue flashing at a slower pace.
The flashing should stop when you select address 80 and reverse direction again.

Select the new loco address and the loco should react.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline SvenM  
#26 Posted : 07 April 2020 12:09:12(UTC)
SvenM

Australia   
Thanks everyone for your replies, it was a great help.
I used the Control 80 (I wasn't having much luck with the 80F?) and then, I went through everything slowly and also, put in 01 (as you suggested Tom) and, entered the new number = success!

I did it with a couple of the other engines to make sure and it worked! BigGrin

Looking forward to the weekend!

Thanks again everyone,
Sven
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SvenM
Offline mvd71  
#27 Posted : 07 April 2020 23:04:57(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Excellent news Sven, hope it's all plain sailing from here on.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline BenP  
#28 Posted : 20 January 2022 18:21:49(UTC)
BenP

United States   
I am using 6021 powered track for programming (instead of cs3 on main) and found that placing loco on power connection track works best. Somehow the other track segments are often finicky and wont allow command sequence.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9