Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Winst0n  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2004 01:08:12(UTC)
Winst0n

Hi,
One of my trains, a lima EMU ( look at https://www.marklin-users.net/ap...ws/showreview.asp?ID=235 )has some trouble when running on grades, because it lacks traction tires, is it possible to add them ?

At first I thought of exchanging wheels, but the axles have a different diameter than Märklin's axles so it isn't posible to put Märklin wheels on.

Has anybody of you put traction tires on excisting wheels succesfully??

Regards, Winston
Offline KLB  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2004 04:03:55(UTC)
KLB

Hi Winston,all,
Everything is possible,you'll need tools to do this however.Traction tyers are necessary for a few reasons,one is high grades and for less then ideal mass of model loks,...
Kevin!

Moderator,Märklin Bar&Grill

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MarklinBandG/
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2004 05:52:29(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, Winston, i used my Dremel to do it, i put the wheel with an axle on the Dremel to make it turn, then a use a broken cutting disk to make the precise space for the traciton tires on the wheel. Is a little tricky to do but it works.
The ideal solution is to get a precition tool but they are expensive, perhaps if you know some watch or gun maker/repairer you can get the ideal tool to do it.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Winst0n  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2004 22:15:36(UTC)
Winst0n

Hi Francisco, all,
Your way sounds very tricky indeed, but is it actualy hard to do it that way?
It's probably necesary for me to practice first on some discarded wheelsets
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2004 00:50:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Hello Winston,

I think that it is a job for a lathe.

Franciso is a surgeon and has a special skill(s) that makes this type of work easier for him than most of us. Get it wrong and you could:
1. have a lumpy wheel if the cut is not circular; or
2. carve off the lip of the wheel; or
3. make the groove too deep for the traction tyre.

You might even injure yourself.

A machine shop, that makes small components, should be able to help here or maybe a local steam modelling group with access to a lathe. I don't think that it would be expensive and my guess is that the operator will enjoy the challenge.

Cheers
Adrian
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2004 07:23:39(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Lathe, that was the english word for "torno".
Yes the lathe is the ideal tool that i had mention.
Indeed doing it mannually you can have all the troubles that Adrian mention.
I destroy myself a couple of wheels before i got the job well done, in fact i need to do it again but this time i will go to my gun dealer/repairer who has a precision lathe, the work will be easier and funnier.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Winst0n  
#7 Posted : 22 June 2004 19:02:03(UTC)
Winst0n

Hi, thanks for the replies,
So the best way of getting traction tires on a wheel is to find somebody with a lathe or either change wheels..
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#8 Posted : 23 June 2004 00:27:12(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi all, Winston is talking about a Lima loco. They usually have plastic wheels with a metal ring. Does anybody have done a successful addition of tires to these Lima wheels? I'd like to know how the metal ring is carved without damaging the plastic core, especially in steam locos.
Thank you.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline rugauger  
#9 Posted : 23 June 2004 02:41:32(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Francisco, you've got me worried with your "gun dealer"... Sounds a bit like "my locar car dealer"... Only joking. I bet he doesn't get that sort of request too often - probably a nice change from making/dealing with guns!
Richard
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2004 02:57:22(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, i have done it with roco wheels, who also have a metal ring and a plastic core, the carving is little, less than a mm, so the metal ring is enough to support it.
And yes my dealer like to do this other projects as well as repair/make guns.
He also had make some pieces for my Bronco's carburetor.
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2004 12:18:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
What a mix? [:0] A Marklin and Gun dealer.. Bet that business makes lots of Marklin sales. Just imagine the sales pitch - "ya'll taking way too long to look at the pretty train - now pay up or else.." wink
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline john black  
#12 Posted : 25 June 2004 21:21:56(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hahaha, what a coincidence, Francisco - my Gun Shop too repaired the Holley 650cfm Carb of our Chevy Blazer quite successfully [:p]

But, if we continue with this we soon will get the wrong topic alert from someone biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 25 June 2004 21:53:49(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: Hahaha, what a coincidence, Francisco - my Gun Shop too repaired the Holley 650cfm Carb of our Chevy Blazer quite successfully

But, if we continue with this we soon will get the wrong topic alert from someone

AHHHH, what a nice mix, guns, trucks and trainsSmile

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]WARNING-WARNING OFF TOPIC ALARM COMING SOON WARNING WARNING[}:)][}:)]
Offline john black  
#14 Posted : 26 June 2004 11:08:19(UTC)
john black

United States   
biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Night Train  
#15 Posted : 27 June 2004 14:31:16(UTC)
Night Train

Traction tires make me so mad![:(!] They are a bear to put on, because of all that crap in between the wheels ... hoses, brake shoes, and other details that make traction tire replacement too dicey for me to handle. I have tried it and have had no success! I couldn't even get the tie-rods back on! I shipped my engine for professional repair to my dealer which is Micro Macro Mundo out of Florida. They repaired the engine and sent it back to me. However, I still have yet to run my layout that much, because my old M-track turntable conked-out and the serviceman at the assayed service center said that the thing is so old and so wore-out that it could cost more than it's worth to repair! Well, I'll have to switch over to C-track in all my sidings and block off each siding to put a complete train on! I loved that turntable! I wish things could've been different. However, my advice to you is that if you cannot put traction tires on because you have a newer, more detailed engine, the best thing to do is send to to a repair station like Micro Macro Mundo or Reynauld's Euro-Imports. That's about all I can say. They both do a good job. Well, I have to go. Good-bye and God-bless. SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile