Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obxbill  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2009 00:01:01(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
Well I guess curiosity got the better of me, 'cause I just got a Z set. I found what I thought was a fair deal on a starter set on ebay recently. Turns out the little Br89 isn't to happy about running. So I just received a very nice 8803 Br24 to take its place. Smile I also purchased a Micro Trains starter track set because I like the idea of having roadbed. I must say the little Br24 runs beautifully and if it wasn't for the cost, I might get hooked on this scale! I have a few more freight cars enroute and an 8857 Br151 for variety. Now I'm kinda looking for ideas for a small, simple trackplan.
Anyway, I can see the attraction to this scale. It's really neat to watch it go!biggrin

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline Rowan  
#2 Posted : 10 November 2009 00:08:18(UTC)
Rowan

I'm sure you will enjoy it oxbill , it grows on you.

Smile
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 10 November 2009 08:57:52(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:it grows on you.
Yup, mine is 1-gauge now biggrin

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2009 09:01:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yup, I've got some 1 gauge track, for just in case I ever need it......

And some of those Z gauge starter sets look great too.

And I was looking at the Minitrix sets in the latest Trix catalog too!

Oh well, one day maybe!
Offline ozzman  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2009 11:50:38(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Welcome to the challenging scale Oxbill. And you're right, it really IS neat!

By the way, you've picked a couple of really good locos there with your 8857 and 8803. All you need now is an E44 biggrinCool
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Breitenfurt  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2009 14:30:31(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Agree re E44 - great little loco. I fell in love with Z the moment I fist saw it. A wee bittie fiddly but rally neat.

Chris.
Offline obxbill  
#7 Posted : 11 November 2009 17:04:35(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
Thanks guys! I'll give an E44 some thought. Do you know what the model # would be for it? Also, are there any particular loks I should avoid? And I'll accept any advise, tips or tricks about Z that anyone wants to throw my way. Smile I hope to have a bit of fun with this scale.
BTW, Chris, I've been keeping up with your layout reports and like how it's going.

Bill
Offline ozzman  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2009 18:21:18(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Bill

The older (3 pole motor) E44 model is the 8811. The 5 pole motor version is the 88111. There's also the 8813, which is the 'Museum' version of the 44 002 loco. And then there's the 8825, which is the Br 144 in ocean blue. There might be other versions....

I read somewhere that the E44/Br144 is supposed to be one of the best Z scale mechanisms that M* has made. E44s come up on eBay from time to time, with a going price of around $100-$150 USD, although you might get one for less.

You might find this link useful for info about Z scale items made up to about 2000:

http://www.z-world.com/
Gary
Z Scale
Offline rhtastro  
#9 Posted : 11 November 2009 22:44:29(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
I'm getting back into Z again after an absence of several years. I enjoy my HO layout but it's pretty much saturated with trains and I'm ready to tackle something else. I've actually been into Z gauge for the last 35 years but not very active with it over the last 20. I sold about half of my stock and gave a grandson much of the rest. It was all European, mostly German in design.

Over the last several years I've collected a number of models of American prototypes and just yesterday bought another 13 Marklin freight wagons on ebay from my favorite vender in Holland. Also, Micro Trains is just up the road a couple hundred miles from me and they have a lot of good Z gauge American models. But most of my collection is Marklin.

After building 2 setups from scratch already, one Z and one HO, I'm ready for a commercial layout this time. I'm looking at one of the Noch layouts. They would fit my space just about right and some of them are expandable. Those Alps in their models look just like our mountains out here on the coast in my own neighborhood. I've got enough locos and rolling stock so it's about time to start the display.

Cheers, Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline crazyswede  
#10 Posted : 12 November 2009 00:09:10(UTC)
crazyswede

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the Z world :) I hope you stay and that we will soon be following your layout in the "Me and my layout" section.

Something to look out for, which I learned the other day, is that dirty track or wheels make a huge difference in Z scale. A lot of problems on my track disappeared when I cleaned the track. I know I am slow and I have heard it being mentioned but it never clicked in my brain [:0]
z-scale
Offline rhtastro  
#11 Posted : 12 November 2009 02:56:22(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
Crazy, you're right about having a clean track. Contact on the rails is much more important with Z than with HO. The slider on HO 3R makes the difference in runability. When I was still running Z I always paid special attention to the tracks. I found that the room needs to be especially clean and free of dust or blowing dust. However, 5 pole motors would help too at low speeds. When I get Z going again it will be a very clean operation.

Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline ozzman  
#12 Posted : 12 November 2009 03:22:12(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Welcome back to the fold Bob, not that you really ever left it. I'm looking forward to finding out about your experiences with a Noch layout.
Gary
Z Scale
Offline obxbill  
#13 Posted : 12 November 2009 03:22:13(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
Yes, clean track is very important in 2-rail operation and I would think doubly so in this small scale! I can't say for sure what kind of layout I'll put together as of yet. I'm kinda leaning toward simple trackwork with the emphasis on scenery. Maybe something like trains rolling through the countryside. I doubt I'll focus on any particular era either. Just run whatever my wallet and I fancy! biggrin
I'm really pleased with how the little Br24 runs. It's smooth and quiet at just about any speed setting. So far, I only have three freight cars for it to pull so I couldn't say how strong it is. I have a few more cars on the way and I'm really looking forward to the Br151 arriving.
Does anyone else use Micro-Trains track or do you stick with the marklin? So far, I really like the MT track. It's like miniature C-track.

Bill
Offline ozzman  
#14 Posted : 12 November 2009 03:25:34(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
I've stayed with Marklin track, mainly because M* offer a complete "package" of turnouts, components etc.
Gary
Z Scale
Offline crazyswede  
#15 Posted : 12 November 2009 23:17:08(UTC)
crazyswede

United Kingdom   
When I started I was going to do a simple small layout with some nice scenery, but I ended up making it more complicated :( ... but truthfully it's :) . You can do so much in a small space.
z-scale