Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2009 22:54:59(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi

I would like to install the Märklin tapered smoke generator in my newly acquired 37080 and 37083 (DB Class 10).

I tried doing it last weekend, but I am not quite sure how exactly it should be inserted into the funnel. It has to be inserted from inside of the locomotive shell. However, it doesn't seem to fit all the way in so that the mouth of the smoke generator lies flush with the funnel inner (lower) opening.

As usual, the included Märklin instruction booklet is completely useless.

Has anyone already done this on any of his BR 10?

Thank you in advance for any information.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline banco  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2009 10:52:07(UTC)
banco

Hi Armando

I have not fitted a tapered smoke generator to the particular loco in question but I have done several tapered ones to several others with success.

I usually do the following:

First it is top off the loco having placed it on a nice flat serface upright. I take the generator out of the packing and just give the outer surfaces a gentle rub with fine sand paper to make sure that I get a good electrical connection. I have a set of up four crocodile clips connected to two pieces of wire that I can connect to my test track and the generator to make sure that it works ( Don't forget to add some smoke oil first !!!) So check it works before putting it in . Then to the loco body: I usulally sand the inside of the chimney to make sure you get a good contact here . Then check the copper contact on the loco body is also clean...

Finally I look at the wire coming out of he bottom of the generator and carefully make sure it is near 90 degrees to the bottom surface and clean.

Then I use some smoke oil to lubricate both the chimney surface and the thin barrel of the generator.

Next I place he generator on the loco body from the underside and push gently until the top of the generator is level with the chimney top.

A quick clean up and we are nearly there. Finally it is time to screw the body back on. I tend to lightly sand the screws just to get a good contact. Screw it carefully back together. Set the controller to zero, put it on the track. Fill the generator with about 05ml fluid. check it runs forward etc then switch on the function and wait for about 10 seconds and.........smoke!!!!

C track,6021,large digital loft layout modelled in the legendary European land of "Moresnet"
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2009 10:56:38(UTC)
H0

IIRC the manual says 0.2 ml fluid. Too much fluid can prevent the generator from smoking, so do air bubbles under the fluid.
I use the syringe that comes with the Seuthe generators to fill in the fluid.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline tekin65  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2009 11:01:59(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by banco
<br />Then I use some smoke oil to lubricate both the chimney surface and the thin barrel of the generator.

Very smart move. Thanks for the tip Smile

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Armando  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2009 18:18:47(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Thanks for the info!
Best regards,
Armando García