Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TimR  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2009 04:07:59(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
This might be a stupid question, but in the old days...
how does this work?
(I mean, most steamers are not exactly equipped for push-pull operation.)

Does all terminus station has to have a large enough turntable to turn the locomotive around?
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2009 04:42:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Usually they pulled up short, then uncoupled, moved forward, reversed back through a set of points to the next track and then off to the servicing area and truntable, then back fo r the next train to leave.
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2009 04:45:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I think some smaller stations on branch lines may have had a reversing loop. Otherwise, if there was no turntable or reversing loop, they would have been using locos like the Br23 which could do the same speed either going forward or tender first (backwards).
Offline TimR  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2009 05:37:09(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Thanks for your reply, guys,

I'll keep that in mind when designing a terminus station.
Otherwise just use a BR 23 exclusively to push-pull biggrin
Offline kariosls37  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2009 08:37:40(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
major stations usually have a track between 2 tracks with platforms. points were located on the outside 2 tracks a locomotive length short of the buffers to allow the locomotive to reach the escape track and from there run light-engine to the othere end of the train(usually tank loco's) or to the service area, to be turned and coaled up for the next run
Offline steamfriend  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2009 00:44:19(UTC)
steamfriend

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />I think some smaller stations on branch lines may have had a reversing loop. Otherwise, if there was no turntable or reversing loop, they would have been using locos like the Br23 which could do the same speed either going forward or tender first (backwards).

Hi,

Sorry to interrupt, but the BR23 had different max allowable speeds : forward 110 km/h, backwards 85 km/h, still ok for many services. It is rare for locs with a tender to have equal speeds in both directions. I think the BR78-10, which was a converted P8 (BR38) with a short two axis tender may have been an exception (100km/h, both directions). Also, most tenderlocs had same speeds both ways (BR64, 65, ...)

Best wishes,

Bob
Offline TimR  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2009 01:37:50(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I guess with the M* version (of BR 23) forward and backward speeds should be the same...biggrinbiggrin
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2009 02:11:40(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by TimR
<br />Does all terminus station has to have a large enough turntable to turn the locomotive around?

Small branch lines were operated by tank locos that could go with the same speed in both directions (30 km/h, some even 45 km/h (around 30 mph)).
Loco pulled the train in, bypassed the train, and pulled it back again.

The big tender locos where normally only going where they could be turned around - using a turntable, a track triangle, or a track star.
One loco pulled the train in, another loco pulled it out again.
The former loco went to get fresh water and coil, be turned around, and waited for another train to be pulled.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 30 September 2009 09:17:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />I think some smaller stations on branch lines may have had a reversing loop. Otherwise, if there was no turntable or reversing loop, they would have been using locos like the Br23 which could do the same speed either going forward or tender first (backwards).

I had 85 kph in mind when I made that statement. But yes, according to Wikipedia, top speed was 110 kph (in the forward direction of course!)
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 30 September 2009 14:29:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Besides the "run round" loop in many terminii (English plural for terminus), there are a few methods of handling trains:
1. Engine arrives with train, and another engine (usually a shunting type) pulls the coaches backwards to go to the cleaning or storage sheds. Then the loco can back out to the service area, or be held in a siding ready for another train.
2. Turning an engine can be done on either a turntable or Y. Y (wye) track arrangement is easily done with C track - see the C track digrams in the track manuals or starter set manuals.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 30 September 2009 15:32:38(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />Engine arrives with train, and another engine (usually a shunting type) pulls the coaches backwards to go to the cleaning or storage sheds.

That depends on where the terminus is.
In the steam era there were many trains in Germany that stopped at several terminii during their ride (with "old" loco pulling the train in and "new" loco pulling it out).

International trains still change the loco at terminii in Germany (while most national trains are push/pull trains nowadays - they only change the engineer).
Terminii include Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Munich.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage