Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TimR  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2009 08:24:54(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I can’t understand why Marklin uses this frustrating symbol in their database.

This symbol is by default, with very few exceptions, is placed on every single items in the 37xxx range.

If the symbol is used to describe the motor – it’s use already defeat its purpose and serves to confuse customers.
One can't assume that they can tell the motor type just by looking at the symbol...

To start with – because the use of that picture with "five stars", one will almost always automatically assume that the symbol only represent DCM 5-pole motor. This is not always the case.

In reality this motor symbol grouped together the largest bulk of motor selection in the entire Marklin range other than just 5-pole DCMs. This includes even some models with can-motor found in the hobby loks – such as the French Crocodiles, maxxon / faulhaber (most new construction 37xxx steamers built since the 1990 to 2006), 5-pole skewed can motor (most 37xxx railcars), or even "special" 80 Euro plus can motor on GG-1/Big Boy.

Now moving on the terms of description of the symbol - which is equally messy;
“high-efficiency propulsion. Maximum speed and acceleration/delay are adjustable.”

This gives the impression that only models with this symbol has all those extra features to play with whereas other ranges – especially those cheaper 36xxx doesn’t. Of course, this is actually not true – as even those 36xxx models have the same features. The fact is these are decoder dependant and not motor dependant - but Marklin sure isn't saying..

Now for the second sentence;
“..Special motor with electronically enhanced load compensation or a compact bellshaped armature..”

The way the sentence is written rightfully highlight that there are two different basic types of motor described. The first type “special motor” seemingly refering to DCM – as the second type; “compact bell shaped motor” refers to all other types of can motors other than Sinus. It’s funny because arguably what is so "special that needs describing? As for “enhanced load compensation”; again it is actually also a digital feature of all modern decoders. No motor could have such feature on its own.

Overall, a very messy and unhelpful education by Marklin for their customers.

One is well advised to ignore this symbol as "redundant" and go straight to the motor description;
"High Efficiency Propulsion" = an upbeat, uplifting way of saying 5-pole DCM
"Bell shaped armature" = brushless can motor, what type dependant on the model.

IMO a product database should be helpful, informative, and written in plain language - as it is relied upon by customers, who are not always as well informed as Marklin like them to be.

Sorry for the rant.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2009 09:46:35(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
The five star symbol has only ever been used to denote the fact that the motor contains five poles, never the type of motor installed.
I can't say I have ever heard of anyone complaining about it before. And I guess as long as there are loco's in the catalogue with a three pole motor, it is appropriate to have symbol to differentiate between them.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline davemr  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2009 13:35:57(UTC)
davemr

Hi Tim. I dont really pay much attention to any of the symbols and try to find out as much as possible about a loco from others before buying.
I would say though that most of Marklins blurb whether in catalogues or instructions is not great. I think they expect everybody to be an expert on the brand.

Flash
davemr
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2009 14:38:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
It's an advertising Gig.
Whether you like it or not.
One thing is for sure, some of the newcomers, not particular in this forum, are very confused about the digital systems, 5 or 3 pole motor, c-cine motor compact or not, full sound or limited sound modules.
Unless you have had previous experiences or you came through the ranks it must be confusing.
Friend of mine has a ton of Märklin stuff, but can not differentiate a conversion set from one to the other and he also believes that one conversion set is easier to convert, than some others.

It has been in the past, Märklin announced a 5 pole motor but in fact it was delivered with the new compact c-sine motor. (SBB Ae 8/14)

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2009 02:33:14(UTC)
H0

Hi, Tim!
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by TimR
<br />This symbol is by default, with very few exceptions, is placed on every single items in the 37xxx range.

This symbol stands for load-regulated high-efficiency propulsion - and all 37xxx locos have that (except some SDS locos with 37xxx number).
Since all current models have load regulation, this symbol is not really needed anymore (but 36xxx digital locos and SDS locos are still different, so there is some sense in having a symbol for the 37xxx locos). OTOH 37xxx locos vary quite a bit, so it would make sense to have more than only one symbol for them.

In the old days with analog, Delta, analog 5-star, and unregulated digital locos (36xx) this symbol surely was more meaningful - and it was the symbol of the premium locos of those days.

Same goes for the fx symbol. All locos are fx or mfx today.

But the product database goes back to 2000, so you still find analog locos in it.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2009 03:08:13(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by H0
<br />Hi, Tim!
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by TimR
<br />This symbol is by default, with very few exceptions, is placed on every single items in the 37xxx range.

This symbol stands for load-regulated high-efficiency propulsion - and all 37xxx locos have that (except some SDS locos with 37xxx number).
Since all current models have load regulation, this symbol is not really needed anymore (but 36xxx digital locos and SDS locos are still different, so there is some sense in having a symbol for the 37xxx locos). OTOH 37xxx locos vary quite a bit, so it would make sense to have more than only one symbol for them.

In the old days with analog, Delta, analog 5-star, and unregulated digital locos (36xx) this symbol surely was more meaningful - and it was the symbol of the premium locos of those days.

My thoughts exactly...
the use of it is largely out-of-date..

What's the point of having the same symbol through the entire 37xxx range?

We can easily tell that the 37xxx stood for the mainstream, primary non-Sinus locomotive range for Marklin - I would argue that Big Boy deserves a seperate number, btw wink. There is no point having a single symbol associated with this entire range, if it doesn't tell anything else.

I know as John had written - the descprition that they written is primarily just for marketing gig, but serves no purpose in enlightening customers.

Things like "High Efficiency Propulsion" really means nothing and actually it's rather ironic considering it is labelled to differentiate the most inefficient motor (in terms of current consumption) in Marklin line-up.

Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 22 September 2009 16:24:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by river6109
It has been in the past, Märklin announced a 5 pole motor but in fact it was delivered with the new compact c-sine motor. (SBB Ae 8/14)

Can't confirm this. Following the corresponding two pages from the 2007 news catalog and the 2007 catalog in fall. Nothing was mentioned in any of those about this model (#39590) being delivered with a 5-pole motor.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

PS: There are indeed differences when it comes to the conversion of a particular model; so this guy is fully right. wink

Lutz,
I've made a mistake, the loco was advertised as the previous c-sinus motor and the confirmation came from Märklin that the SBB Ae 8/14 will have a compact c-sinus motor.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline TimR  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2009 01:04:12(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by river6109
Lutz,
I've made a mistake, the loco was advertised as the previous c-sinus motor and the confirmation came from Märklin that the SBB Ae 8/14 will have a compact c-sinus motor.

John,
I think what happened in 2007 was that in the earlier announcement (and also earlier brochures) - 39590 and most other 39xxx loks that year were advertised to have the compact sinus motor.

However, this is later rectified by Marklin as having Soft-Drive-Sinus - word "Soft Drive" added to the plain Sinus wave symbol.

I think the problem was back then that the compact Sinus motor has an "image problem" [}:)].... which is why Marklin felt the need to relaunch it as SDS to give the impression of entirely new motor design.

In reality, SDS was just Marklin's way of saying,
'this is still the same compact sinus, but we've fixed all earlier problems.'.
Offline supermoee  
#9 Posted : 24 September 2009 19:07:49(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

I really do not understand why this symbol is disturbing.
I know a lot of people that are not knowing the numbering of Märklin product and do not know that 37*** means high proulsion locos (yes, not everyone is spending days in studying the catalogue). Those people are happy to have this explained with a symbol.

Ok, the symbol is coming from the old 5 pole engine era. But changing it again would cause only more confusion.

So what? If it is disturbing you just do not look at it.

So easy life can be.biggrin

I even do not care about the symbols neither the catalogue number. I read the product explanation and know everything about it.

kind regards

Stephan
Offline davemr  
#10 Posted : 25 September 2009 00:37:16(UTC)
davemr

Hi Stephan. Coming from the land of HAG where item numbers change on a regular basis I expect you are an expert on catalogues lol.
davemr