Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Breitenfurt  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2009 18:39:16(UTC)
Breitenfurt

I have just been putting together motive power and stock for the Inverness exhibition next month. No problems with 6 coupled locos (2'C1', 4-6-2) pulling a seven or eight coach train but I am at a loss when it comes to the lack of draw-bar 'pull' of the 1'E (2-10-0) locos of which I have two that I want to run. For instance, My 1'C/2-6-0 BR 74 tank loco can happily push or pull a track cleaning wagon with a couple of other wagons but the 1'E just sat there spinning its wheels. Is anyone else having this problem? Can anyone offer a solution? Has anyone tried Bullfrog Snot on these 1'E locos? Is the lighter axle load the cause of the problem?

Any help much appreciated.

Chris.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2009 18:43:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have 2, an old 3084, and a newer 37885, both of which will quite happily pull all the freight wagons I can attach to them.

I have not tried them on a gradient properly as I have none on my layout.

EDIT - Sorry, didn't realise your asking about Z gauge!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2009 18:52:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Ray, Chris has posted in the 'Small Scale' part of the forum (don't worry, I've been caught out before too, several times!), so I guess he is referring to Z scale locos.

I know Ron had troubles with his Z GG1 and lack of pulling power. Some of the other Z modellers may have an answer.

I have a feeling Ron did use Bullfrog Snot to cure the problem, certainly he has used it for fixing something. Chris, you could try searching the forum for Bullfrog Snot, and look for posts by Ron Schaffr.
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2009 18:58:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Oops!

Sorry Chris, disregard my comments.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2009 21:08:19(UTC)
Breitenfurt

No problem Ray. The problem is that Marklin Z scale locos do not have tyres so it is easy for the wheels to spin. And thanks for the suggestion Bigdaddy. I will look right now. (I always - and I mean that - forget about the search facility on forums.)

All the best,
Chris.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 25 August 2009 01:08:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Chris, this is the topic you are looking for:

https://www.marklin-user...ult.aspx?g=posts&t=12659
Offline ozzman  
#7 Posted : 25 August 2009 02:06:21(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
My layout has got to the point where I now have a double track main line, but only in temporary "test" (ie play) mode. It includes the Marklin standard 195 mm and 220 mm curves and 4% gradients, together in a couple of places. It mightn't be prototypical, but we modellers rarely have much choice in these things. I've found that there can be problems in those places - ie where the curves are on a gradient. If you think about it, what would happen if a real long and heavy train were to negotiate a sharp curve on a relatively steep grade? And as someone pointed out on another forum, model consists tend to be shorter anyway.

Of course if your 2-10-0 is doing wheelies without anything behind it, then you really do have a problem....
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Breitenfurt  
#8 Posted : 25 August 2009 02:18:50(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thanks Bigdaddy. I am definitely losing it. Yes, I did find the topic. (Topic, what topic?) And not only had I looked at it before but I actually posted to it.

Hi Gary. I have a BR74 which happily pushes several 2/3 axle coaches up a 145mm rad 4% grade. My 1'D1' BR41 will happily pull 7 coaches (8 it too many) round 195mm curves on the flat. One of my 1'E did just manage 4 bogie wagons on the same curves but another 1'E couldn't even pull the track cleaning wagon. I can only conclude that it is the axle load that governs the adhesion, not the number of wheels.

One thing that is clear, I will never use curved turnouts again. The problems I have been gatting with then are driving me up the wall.

Such is life.

Chris.