Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline john black  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2004 20:15:51(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi all:

Reading the posts about M's Harry Potter train was an shocking experience [:0][:0][:0]
CHEAP PLASTIC GEARS, CRUMMY MOTORS - where do you go M, is that our future ? [xx(][xx(][xx(]

What can we M addicted do, for preserving quality standards confused
Your opinions, please

John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline john black  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2004 20:20:01(UTC)
john black

United States   
If such junk will take place I'll be outa there hunting old classic metal locos biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2004 01:11:30(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, let's hope this was just a Christmas 2003 sales special, since it was a "foreign" product repackaged & labelled as Märklin...

What we can do is to buy the "real stuff"... Expensive, but good...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Frostie  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2004 03:52:09(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
What about the 37450 Insider locomotive. when I opened it up, I was surprised to find at least one plastic gear in the drive train.

I was very surprised. can anyone verify the fact of a plastic gear on the 37450 Insider.
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 08 May 2004 04:49:46(UTC)
Webmaster

I suppose the 37450 has the same gearbox that the other Faulhaber locos from Märklin have, with conical gears to convert the high speed of the motor into torque at the wheels... This is a reliable construction unless you get some cat/dog hairs into it...

It's is not the same as the poor quality of plastic worm gears or straight cut plastic sprockets in cheap(er) starter sets... I have a 3094 BR03.10 from some starter set which has one plastic gear that has worn out... The loc just stands still and makes noise... Another old BR 03.10 (not from a starter set) has all metal gears and has no problems...

The problem with the HP set is that it was not a Märklin construction from the beginning....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Frostie  
#6 Posted : 08 May 2004 14:44:45(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
I have to agree on the 37450 that it is a quality locomotive. I wanted some confirmation of "why" it had a plastic gear in the drive train.

Thanks Juhan for answering my question.

Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline john black  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2004 17:05:42(UTC)
john black

United States   
Gentlemen, that's exactly why I love my old (solo buy from 1984) 03.10 steamer 3089 (for example) so much: ALL METAL (inside & out), 20 years of troublefree playing SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

John