Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pavle  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2009 23:36:37(UTC)
Pavle

Hi all,

Is that english, "how to shuttle"? biggrin

Anyway, I have been away from mrr for some 6 months, because I bought a new house (with a bigger trainroom, too) and spent most of my time with painting, moving, and all that jazz. I did suffer from mrr withdrawal symptoms lately, so last week I made a small test layout to have some trains running again.
But in the mean time my dealer helped me with updating my CS-1 (60212), which was not functioning very well, to a CS-2 (60213). That really is a joy to play with![:p]. I've learnt the basics in just a few hours (special thanks to Lutz for his technical info), and I'm loving it.

So now I'm trying to make a shuttle train. Two contact rails, one S88, one train (Lint 37730) defined as shuttle (very easy), and things should work, right? Not quite, but after some playing around I got to it. Here are the things I encountered, comments are most wellcome.

1. At first the Lint did not react at the contact rail at all, just kept running. To test the contact rails, I made them change a switch. After a while, I got that working ok.
2. AFAIK, the S88 should be grounded - just as it was with 60212. But that does not work. When I "ungrounded" it, it did work.
3. Back to the shuttle. I defined the waiting time for the Lint-shuttle on 5 seconds. When the Lint passed the contact rail, it started braking (Cool). But for this train the brake delay is defined at some 10 seconds, so halfway it made a sudden stop and changed direction.
4. That's easy to fix (longer waiting time), but now the Lint passed the contact rail, came to a beautiful stop, changed direction, passed the contact rail again, came to a beautiful stop again, changed direction again, etc.
5. So my conclusion: each time the contact rail is passed, in whichever direction, is seen as an endpoint for the shuttle.
6. I fixed that by disabling the accelaration and brake delay for the Lint. Now it works perfectly as a shuttle, going from contact rail 1 to contact rail 2 and back. But with sudden stops and not with it's beautiful brake-delay.
7. Defining a mid-point for the shuttle works perfectly as well. Works the same as an end-point, without changing direction.
8. Should I make the contact rail for the end-points 2 meters long, so the train can brake within that section without passing it?
9. I am thinking of designing a layout with a dogbone for the big trains and a single-track shuttle line for some local trains. Did any of you incorporate a shuttle line on your layout?
10. Such a shuttle-line would be more interesting if it could be combined with a small shadow station at each end, so several trains can run on it. Anyone tried that yet?

Peter

Peter
Offline efel  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2009 00:26:35(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

There are answers to many questions concerning shuttle + CS on this forum.
Just make a search with those words.
Good luck
Fred