Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2009 07:27:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
LS Models has photos of the prototypes of the E310/E410 on the lsmodels.com website.

They are also listing the lastest City Night Line and DB Nachtzug models as in delivery. These models are highly detailed and a joy to look at.

All coaches 303mm, exact 1:87 best suited for Roco's Universal Coupler.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2009 02:41:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Did anybody else think that something about the pantographs on the 310/181 and 410/184 are a little off?

Regards

Mike C
Offline al_pignolo  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2009 21:39:44(UTC)
al_pignolo

Hi Mike.
You're right, these are great models! I have an USI coach, it is wonderfully detailed, and runs very well even if it's longer than usual Marklin coaches. Of course I use Roco universal couplers as you suggest.

I'd like to buy SNCF BB16500 from LS, but I don't know how it runs. Someone has any experience about it?

Pietro
Offline WelshMatt  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2009 22:32:21(UTC)
WelshMatt

I think you'll find that LS Models buffer height is to scale, like their coach lengths. wink

Those are just test shots from the tooling to encourage people to pre-order. If you can see a problem, try emailing them and mentioning it. I know a lot of manufacturers release pre-production photos with the idea that people will contact them about any errors before the model goes into full production.

I have a few LS Models SNCF Grand Confort coaches and a pair of the SNCF <s>USI</s> VTU ones in "C1" orange/white stripe livery (now that I've checked the box label I know what type they are). All are excellent, the latter even have the disk brakes represented on the axles despite these being invisible when the coach is on the track. I tend to fit Fleischmann or Roco couplers within the train and keep the original universal ones on the outer ends to couple to locos.

I have been keeping an eye open for a Roco Eurofima in C1 livery with SNCF markings to partner the VTU coaches, but I'm not even sure they've made one?
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2009 22:58:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Lutz,

now that the model is being released, don't you think it better to review/critique the official release model rather than pulling out old photos of early sample/handmuester models that were displayed at the Messe?

As far as the buffer height is concerned, it is Maerklin and not LSM, Roco, ADE, ACME, RailTop, etc that is not keeping to established norms.

I have a full consist of CNL coaches from LSM, along with SNCB coaches and the newest DB UIC-X models. They are among my favorite consists in terms of detail.

I do not have a problem with the buffer height because I don't mix them with Maerklin coaches.

Regards

Mike C
Offline al_pignolo  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2009 01:26:06(UTC)
al_pignolo

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />I do not have a problem with the buffer height because I don't mix them with Maerklin coaches.

You can also mix them, if you substitute in Maerklin coaches the original couplers with a Roco one.

Pietro
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2009 01:34:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by al_pignolo
<br />
Quote:
<br />I do not have a problem with the buffer height because I don't mix them with Maerklin coaches.

You can also mix them, if you substitute in Maerklin coaches the original couplers with a Roco one.

Pietro

Pietro,

Technically, it is possible to mix almost any brand of model RR coaches. You may notice that Maerklin/Trix coaches have a different buffer height, which was modified in order to permit the Maerklin close coupler to pass underneath the buffers.
I, personally, do not combine 1:87 coaches with other scales.
My Maerklin and other 1:93 and 1:100 coaches have their own consists. The 1:87 rolling stock is completely separate.

Regards

Mike C
Offline jeehring  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2009 05:41:18(UTC)
jeehring

Untill now LS Models is mainly producing French models for French market....
( also some Belgian models ...)
THe owner was formerly working for jouef as importer in Belgium of Jouef products...
They have found a very particular situation in France making models that never existed before ....with French enthusiasts having no choice . At this time ( early 2000)no more companies making French models for many years .

Yes LSM models look nice on static showing or on display , although the plastic is poor quality most of the time...Yes the length is true scale . ( rarely the height : many long vehicles with bogies are too high on rails....depending on the shape of the lower part of the body : if more or less "skirty"... )

If you knew how much problems those models are showing as soon as you roll them or use them ...!!!
I stopped my discussion about it just because my english is too poor to come with details....( in spite of the fact that Mister Mike C doesn't look to be well informed about these company and their products....)
Offline jeehring  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2009 06:06:23(UTC)
jeehring

About the BB 16500 : the electronic card with 21 poles has a bad design . You cannot use standard 21 poles decoders.
The Belgian Owner has a deal with Mr Danckaert ( see importer of ESU Loksound for Belgium ) to distribute a pre-formated 21 pole decoder from ESU ...( with special internal mapping of functions )
So if tou want to buy a LSM 16500 you have to ask for the " pre-formated ESU lokpilot for 16500"...).
Don't try to use any other decoder : it won't work !
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2009 07:18:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring
<br />Until now LS Models is mainly producing French models for French market....
( also some Belgian models ...)
THe owner was formerly working for jouef as importer in Belgium of Jouef products...
They have found a very particular situation in France making models that never existed before ....with French enthusiasts having no choice . At this time ( early 2000)no more companies making French models for many years .

Yes LSM models look nice on static showing or on display , although the plastic is poor quality most of the time...Yes the length is true scale . ( rarely the height : many long vehicles with bogies are too high on rails....depending on the shape of the lower part of the body : if more or less "skirty"... )

If you knew how much problems those models are showing as soon as you roll them or use them ...!!!
I stopped my discussion about it just because my english is too poor to come with details....( in spite of the fact that Mister Mike C doesn't look to be well informed about these company and their products....)

Jeehring,

je suis au courant des problemes affectant certains modeles produits par LSM, tel les Mistral PBA/69 et certains autres. Je ne peindrai pas la compagnie en entiere a cause de certains modeles problematiques.
Dans ma collection, j'ai plusieurs voitures de LSM/Heris, LSM/RailTop (RAm) et LSM.
A date, je n'ai pas trouve des voitures qui ne sont pas a la bonne hauteur ou qui n'en ont pas les bonnes dimensions.
Je ne nie pas l'existance de defaillances, mais je peut confirmer que les modeles semblent ne pas cesser de s'ameliorer d'annee en annee et que la plupart des voitures sont parmis mes plus belles voitures/rames. Si vous voulez avoir une discussion en profondeur, contactez-moi.

I am aware of problems affecting certain models (Mistral PBA/69) and other LSM products. I am not going to paint the whole company based on one or two items that have had problems.
I have many models from LSM/Heris, LSM/RT (RAm) and LSM in my collection. To date, I have not encountered any models that have the incorrect height or other dimensions. I am not denying that there are issues with certain models, but I can confirm that IMO the product is improving year after year as the designs and the production improves. Most of these coaches are among my favorite international coaches/trains.
Whether it be Zinkpest, Translucent coach bodies, or missing parts, Maerklin too has had it's shortcomings. As I stated, a few models should not compromise the entirety of the whole company. I hope that you have better experiences in the future. Seeing that you are in France, you are probably better able to inspect your items before you buy them while I must order them sight unseen and rely on the dealer to inspect them before shipping.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 08 July 2009 07:24:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring
<br />About the BB 16500 : the electronic card with 21 poles has a bad design . You cannot use standard 21 poles decoders.
The Belgian Owner has a deal with Mr Danckaert ( see importer of ESU Loksound for Belgium ) to distribute a pre-formated 21 pole decoder from ESU ...( with special internal mapping of functions )
So if tou want to buy a LSM 16500 you have to ask for the " pre-formated ESU lokpilot for 16500"...).
Don't try to use any other decoder : it won't work !

Very interesting report. I am sure that this will be of interest to many modellers who are considering this model, and should perhaps be in it's own thread.

If it is a question of the decoder socket being incorrectly wired, would this not be a warranty issue? It is nice that the Belgian distributor of ESU is offering a special rewired decoder for this model. Shouldn't it be up to LSM to repair the socket so that it corresponds to the standard norms for NEM decoders?

At present, I have no LSM locomotives on order, as my collection is mostly SBB/Swiss. I did pre-order some of the new SBB UIC Coaches and I hope that they rival the DB UIC-X in quality. As long as they are better than the Liliput ones, I will be satisfied with them.

Regards

Mike C
Offline al_pignolo  
#12 Posted : 08 July 2009 08:25:10(UTC)
al_pignolo

Thank you Roland! What you say is not a very good new but... obviously I won't buy it if it has "so many problems..."

About the 21-pin socket... I was talking about the AC version, that should have a built-in decoder! So there shouldn't be any problems about digitalising it...

I would be interested to know more about LS models rolling problems. Can you indicate me a website or a forum where I can read some more? Obviously, even in French... I speak French as bad as English biggrin but I can understand it.

Finally... talking about BB16500: what about the Vitrains model? http://www.vitrains.it/s...arge/2175.jpg?1240736609 Is this appreciated a little more than LS' in France? Do you know if it is easy to convert?

Thank you. Regards!
Pietro
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 12 July 2009 02:28:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The first design drawings of the model of the SBB UIC Coach Models has been posted on the www.lsmodels.com website.

Judging by the design of the model, this series should be as nice as the DB UIC-X or CityNightLine coach series.

I am looking forward to these models.

I am also looking forward to my new CityNightLine couchette coaches in the new red/white livery and wondering when LS Models will release the Sleeperette coaches so I can replace the Heris coaches?

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 25 July 2009 23:38:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello,

just got my 49014 Couchette coach set to go with my other CNL sleepers in the new white/red livery.

Still waiting for the dining and sleeperette cars and the couchette coach with baggage/bicycle storage compartment.

Looks really sharp behind one of my Re 4/4IIs.

These are the coaches that go behind the ES64F4 CNL that Roco has released. (Amsterdam-Munich/Amsterdam-Basel?)

Prototype Question: What other routes are CNL 189s used on?
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 26 July 2009 02:50:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is very refreshing to see that the trend of bashing a whole company because of the weak points of one particular model or one series that do not necessarily apply to most or all models is still going on.

What if I were to raise the fact that Maerklin coaches have offset bogies, simulated buffers that do not extend out as far as they should, very basic interior details (compared to other brands), just to name a few details that could be improved on some models.

Would you like it if I posted that Maerklin should be avoided because of this?

I respect the fact that some modellers want to model just Maerklin. Do posts like the one being addressed here respect other modellers who may wish to combine AC products of multiple brands on their Maerklin layouts?

Every manufacturer and each of their products has it's positive and negative aspects. It is perfectly acceptable to mention that you don't use a certain brand because it doesn't fit with your Maerklin lok, but you should not use this to tar and feather the whole brand.

For example, you cannot compare the LSM CityNightLine or DB UIC-X coaches to earlier productions. Same way you cannot compare a 37356 Re 4/4II to a 3328 Re 4/4IV. The only thing those models have in common is the name Maerklin (and maybe the motor). In terms of detail and aspect, the two are worlds apart.

There are some of us out here who like some models by other companies and models by Maerklin. We buy the ones we like and forget about those that we don't. You are welcome to share your views about specific models, but please don't blast a whole company based on specific issues with one or two items.

I have had no problems with my LSM DB and CNL consists, nor with my RailTop OBB and SBB Coaches. If there is a slight difference in buffer height, I can use Hag or Roco loks instead of Maerklin and especially with the Roco loks, the loks have a close coupling shaft which makes the consist look even nicer.

Just because I have no problems with the coaches in my collection and have not mentioned any issues, others think this makes me uninformed. Why would I comment on items that I have no interest in or items that I did not buy due to concerns about issues? My comments pertain to models I have and ones I am interested in, and occasionally to models where I believe there may be general interest in within this and other forums.

Respectfully yours,

Mike C
Offline Rinus  
#16 Posted : 03 August 2009 23:12:42(UTC)
Rinus

Quote:
<br /> These are the coaches that go behind the ES64F4 CNL that Roco has released. (Amsterdam-Munich/Amsterdam-Basel?)

Prototype Question: What other routes are CNL 189s used on?

Amsterdam-Munich/Amsterdam-Basel(Milano) is correct! I spotted them on both of my recent trips to Milano and Münich.

They might be on the CNL from Germany to Denmark too, but im not sure.

Question: were do you buy LS modells?
Offline Rinus  
#17 Posted : 03 August 2009 23:20:25(UTC)
Rinus

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />It might be worth while to recall that this forum is called "marklin user-net" which clearly indicates the primary focus compared to "any model train" forums.

Hence also the primary interest of most users here is to share experiences in conjunction with their (existing or planned) Märklin stuff.

Interesting point of view! I regard "Marklin-users-net" more as a forum discussing a system (AC) than a purists site focussed on the M* brand only. But now that you mention it, I wonder how others thing about that.

Maybe we (read: webmaster) can ad a "discuss other manufactuers" tread in order not to disturb the pure Marklin oriented members?

Perhaps worthwhile discussing this in another topic?
Offline Armando  
#18 Posted : 04 August 2009 02:50:03(UTC)
Armando

United States   
I don't understand why the Leitmotiv of "not being able to run 303mm coaches on Märklin layouts" keeps coming up again and again, endlessly! When will this myth end, for God's sake? Of course, no one in his/her sound mind will try to run these coaches on R1 curves! It's like trying to insert square pegs into round holes. I have run consists of exquisite ROCO (long live ROCO!)1:87 coaches coupled to Märklin BR-01, BR-03, E-03, V-200, etc, and running on C track (minimun radius used was R3, with R2 turnouts), and I have never experienced any problems.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 04 August 2009 05:35:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Evil R

Mr R,
can I call you Evil?

I do quite a bit of my LSM shopping in your neck of the woods (relatively speaking). Huenerbein in Aachen carries one of the most comprehensive selection of LSM/RT/ACME etc.

I also order from TEE-USA in New York (when I only want one or two items) and from a few sources in Germany/Switzerland/France when I can't find it at my usual suppliers.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#20 Posted : 04 August 2009 05:54:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
It is of little to no interest or value if a model has buffer height or length "exact to scale" when this "feature" impacts its usability on a normal/typical Märklin layout together with other Märklin stuff.

That would depend on what you called typical. Different people have different layouts. If you can use full scale, why not? If you are limited by space or for other reason, then stick with the shortened models.

As far as compatibility, if there are differences in the buffer height between LSM and Maerklin models, then I can run the LSM coaches with a Roco, Hag or other lok. So far, I have been able to combine most 303mm coaches without a problem (buffer height, etc).

Once a modeller makes the decision to enter the world of exact 1:87, they normally accept that they have to make some changes in order to operate those models.

We should be happy that they have decided to stick with the 3 Rail AC system, as this maintains some revenue for Maerklin in terms of track, power system and locomotives in many cases.

Would you prefer that those people switched completely to DC and stopped supporting Maerklin altogether?

Yes, I know that I can't use the 303mm coaches on my Start Set/Test Oval. But wow, do they look fantastic on my teppichbahn when I set it up every few months.

Eventually, I will have a complete layout set up with a mainline using R4 and R5 where I can run my exact scale trains full time.
In the meantime, they are in my display cases and ever so often they end up taking over the basement for a day or two.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Rinus  
#21 Posted : 04 August 2009 19:58:07(UTC)
Rinus

Quote:
<br />
Quote:

Mr R,
can I call you Evil?

Regards

Mike C

You sure can! Or R or by my firstname 'Rinus', whatever suits you best!

Aachen? Ok. Must remember that. I also noticed a few ACME and LS modells in a train Shop on platform 11 on Munich Hbf. Unfortunately it was closed during the evening hours and I had an appointment during the day. Better luck next September when I plan another trip to Münich.
Offline mike c  
#22 Posted : 04 August 2009 22:09:10(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
<br />
Quote:

Mr R,
can I call you Evil?

Regards

Mike C

You sure can! Or R or by my firstname 'Rinus', whatever suits you best!

Aachen? Ok. Must remember that. I also noticed a few ACME and LS modells in a train Shop on platform 11 on Munich Hbf. Unfortunately it was closed during the evening hours and I had an appointment during the day. Better luck next September when I plan another trip to Münich.

Rinus,

check out Huenerbein321 on eBay (.de and .nl)

Regards

Mike C
Offline WelshMatt  
#23 Posted : 04 August 2009 22:50:46(UTC)
WelshMatt

In my experience the LSM coaches will go through an R1 curve perfectly well. They just look horrible doing so and will "collect" any scenery that's too close.

I tend to agree with making models able to traverse R1 curves, as that enables modellers to use them in hidden areas. You can use larger curves where people can see them and tighter ones to save space where they don't show.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline mike c  
#24 Posted : 06 August 2009 02:49:24(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Off to the bank I go...

Trenietreni has just posted both the SBB-FS EN "Luna" Sets as available

http://www.trenietreni.i...1-4cd5-8bb9-09ca3f50eb76

http://www.trenietreni.i...a-4583-a312-42d9c704bacc

Visually, the SBB Eurofima Couchette coaches look very nicely done.

This is a limited production run (standard for ACME) so get yours asap.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#25 Posted : 06 August 2009 02:57:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
I tend to agree with making models able to traverse R1 curves, as that enables modellers to use them in hidden areas. You can use larger curves where people can see them and tighter ones to save space where they don't show.

Many modellers have adopted the solution of having a dual track mainline on the outside of the layout (main line or high speed line) and a regional or local track set up on the inside of the layout.

You can then operate full exact 1:87 on the main line and have the 1:93 and smaller coaches and cars on the inside of the layout.

Some interesting modifications to this theme include a narrow gauge Bemo layout on the inside, which allows for the operation of a large station where passengers can transfer from the mainline to the narrow gauge trains and then climb into the alps on the narrow gauge line on the inside of the layout. This would recreate, for example, the stations at Landquart, Chur, Brig or Goeschenen where this kind of operation can be seen in prototype.

Another concept would be to have a tourist railroad (steamers, etc) using smaller radii while the mainline would be an oval with storage and passing sidings in the station and at the back of the layout.

It has also been my experience that many people using R1 and R2 curves have a set up where there is a straight track or two between quarter curves or between curved segments. If your set up is like this, you can easily replace your existing curves and straights with larger radii curves w/o the straights and not use up any more space than right now.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Armando  
#26 Posted : 06 August 2009 03:17:34(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:

Many modellers have adopted the solution of having a dual track mainline on the outside of the layout (main line or high speed line) and a regional or local track set up on the inside of the layout.

I have actually thought about this possibility, but instead it will be a DDC circuit where I can run all the fantastic US models that are offered by other manufacturers, mainly for two-rail operation. Given that Trix manufactures C-track for two-rail operation, the difference will be almost imperceptible between the two lines.
Best regards,
Armando García