Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2009 14:36:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
As you know, most models produced for the British market are at a scale of 1:76, which is 14% larger model than HO (1:87). Both HO and OO models run on the same track gauge of 16.5mm. There are some differences in wheel and flange standards.

In my opinion, HO models are more compatible with home railways, because of reduced size.

How many Märklin users would be interested in purchasing a model of this locomotive in HO scale?
UserPostedImage

This picture was reproduced with permission of http://www.freefoto.com/preview/24-12-5?ffid=24-12-5. It shows A4 class Mallard (restored), built in 1938 for the London and North Eastern Railway.

There have been models produced in HO scale for the English market, including Lima, Fleischmann, and Rivarossi, but they never seemed to make it beyond one or two years.

However, Märklin models are in my opinion unique. The metal die-casting they use is superb. That precision appears to be possible in other brands, only in plastic. I prefer a metal model.

Would you buy an A4 Märklin in metal?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline al_pignolo  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2009 14:54:19(UTC)
al_pignolo

For what I've learned about Marklin, they are not interested in exploring new ways to increase their customers.
In last 50 years M* H0 marketing strategy has ever been the same: mainly German models, some swiss ones, and only a few of other European countries and of USA.

I don't agree with this, but as I wrote in other topics, I've bought locos from other manifacturers in order to vary my rolling stock.

Sorry, but I find very hard that M* will be interested on british trains.

Pietro
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2009 14:57:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Pietro,
I might share your pessimism.
But the question is, would you buy one?
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline DamonKelly  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2009 15:13:53(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
I'd be interested, too.
I rather like the look of British steam locos, but I don't want the hassle of converting a Hornby OO to 3-rail.

Plus, the Hornby locos still look cheap...

Cheers,
Damon
Offline Legless  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2009 15:54:26(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Maybe it's just an Aussie thing, but I for one, would be very interested in a metal streamlined mallard.
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2009 16:23:43(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Quote:
Originally posted by Legless
<br />Maybe it's just an Aussie thing, but I for one, would be very interested in a metal streamlined mallard.

Ditto for me, with some killer coaches. I am seriously thinking of
including in my eventual layout a track dedicated to a Hornby "live
steam" train.

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jeremy Palmer
Offline davemr  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2009 17:10:24(UTC)
davemr

No chance of Marklin making British outline. They could not compete against Hornby which even in these conditions remains a profitable business.
davemr
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by davemr
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 14 June 2009 21:45:56(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Marklin did make British HO with LMS red and LNER green locomotives in 1938. Both are very rare today.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline TTRExpress  
#9 Posted : 15 June 2009 01:20:50(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hi Kimball,

Many years ago, TRIX (British TRIX) manufactured British prototype models in OO/HO scale. British TRIX (TRIX Twin Railways) stopped production and went out of business in 1975. They never offered the range of models that Hornby-Dublo or Triang produced but the quality was far superior.

I have many beautiful British TRIX Twin models in both AC and DC which bring a beautiful addition to my layout. Now that TRIX is owned by Maerklin I highly doubt that they will offer British prototype models again. They even stopped producing at least one TRIX Express locomotive per year for those of us who are enthusiasts.

Right now our hope is that both brands survive!
Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TTRExpress
Offline TimR  
#10 Posted : 15 June 2009 01:57:10(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I'm more interested in LNER A3. I think that is beautiful.
But chances are slim to none that Marklin would ever make a British model.

At this stage, given their financial performance, I seriously doubt Marklin's ability to even continue churning out new tooling (even European) models for next year - especially considering that at least one would have to be an Insider model anyway.

Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 15 June 2009 02:25:38(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks all.
Yes, but regardless of whether Märklin MIGHT or MIGHT NOT produce such a model, would you buy one?
The reason why you buy one, could be many and varied, from just interest, to the love of beauty, or even curiosity.
regards
Kimball
Offline drstapes  
#12 Posted : 15 June 2009 03:20:23(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Well I would be interested in buying one,particularily if it had the correct coaches.its not impossible if one thinks of the Harry Potter set.
regards
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline TimR  
#13 Posted : 15 June 2009 03:33:08(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by drstapes
<br />its not impossible if one thinks of the Harry Potter set.

... or the Marklin "Thomas & Friends" set biggrin

Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 15 June 2009 03:35:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Yes Geoff, the correct coaches would present an altogether different problem. They could only be made for one moment in time.
It could be said that the A4 engines might have hauled 6 different representative coach sets, in their lifetimes from 1935-65.
regards
Kimball
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 15 June 2009 05:22:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Was the Harry Potter engine done in metal?
Sorry I am such a metal freak.
regards
Kimball
Offline James  
#16 Posted : 15 June 2009 06:17:04(UTC)
James

Canada   
Kimball:

My father used to run North American stock with German, and for me it didn't seem quite right.

I'm trying to establish a semi-protypical era and frankly, a British Locomotive just wouldn't fit into the overall layout. While it would be nice to have a model of a British Locomotive for display purposes, with the price of engines and cars these day, I don't think I justify a $1000.00 CAN plus wall display[:o)].

So I would have to say no to buying one of these engines, but only due to the cost factor.

If I were to win a lottery, then maybebiggrin

Cheers
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by James
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 15 June 2009 06:28:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Agreed James. My layout is quite German.

I would buy one of these locos out of sheer interest in the prototype, and run it on my layout.
Regards the HO English coaches from Lima, Rivarossi and Fleischmann. Only the Lima ones would have suited the A4 in reality, and then only for the 1950's and 60's.
regards
Kimball
Offline WelshMatt  
#18 Posted : 15 June 2009 15:24:24(UTC)
WelshMatt

Hogwarts Castle is plastic. It's also very old tooling,dating back to Airfix's train range from the 1970s. Hornby acquired the tooling from Dapol in the 1990s, so don't think that their new locos are as bad!

British HO has never caught on in a big way, simply because of inertia. There is so much second hand OO out there that nobody wants to change. Lima had a go, but gave up rapidly. Fleischmann produced a rather odd combination of a BR "Warship" diesel hydraulic (known for their work in the west country) and Bulleid-designed coaches which were generally only found on the southern region.

IIRC the Trix British models weren't made to HO or OO, but to a strange halfway scale. This didn't help their sales. I have the major components for one of their Trans-Pennine DMUs, as Dapol acquired the tooling to produce a limited edition run of them a few years ago and ended up selling off piles of spare parts to people wanting to build their own. I really need four of the old Trix restaurant cars to convert into the centre cars, as the Trans-Pennines were six car sets. Of the limited selection of MK1 coaches Trix offered the buffet car has the most useful window layout, which will keep the amount of hacking needed down.

I often wonder if "looks cheap" would still be the case if you saw a model and knew nothing about the manufacturer or purchase price? Certainly in large scale I see Bachmann models with far better detailing and looking a lot less toy-like than some LGB efforts costing the same or more.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by WelshMatt
Offline kimballthurlow  
#19 Posted : 15 June 2009 15:34:31(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Matt for your contribution, interesting reading, and on-song.
regards
Kimball
Offline gachar001  
#20 Posted : 15 June 2009 18:34:27(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />As you know, most models produced for the British market are at a scale of 1:76, which is 14% larger model than HO (1:87). Both HO and OO models run on the same track gauge of 16.5mm. There are some differences in wheel and flange standards.

In my opinion, HO models are more compatible with home railways, because of reduced size.

How many Märklin users would be interested in purchasing a model of this locomotive in HO scale?
UserPostedImage

This picture was reproduced with permission of http://www.freefoto.com/preview/24-12-5?ffid=24-12-5. It shows A4 class Mallard (restored), built in 1938 for the London and North Eastern Railway.

There have been models produced in HO scale for the English market, including Lima, Fleischmann, and Rivarossi, but they never seemed to make it beyond one or two years.

However, Märklin models are in my opinion unique. The metal die-casting they use is superb. That precision appears to be possible in other brands, only in plastic. I prefer a metal model.

Would you buy an A4 Märklin in metal?

regards
Kimball

I think this loco looks awesome. I would buy one if it is metal and has full sound. But I would not be interested if they price it above US$450
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gachar001
Offline WelshMatt  
#21 Posted : 16 June 2009 00:17:31(UTC)
WelshMatt

Hornby have, of course, offered a live steam OO scale A3 and A4. This uses two rail track, but with a special controller unit that isn't compatible with anything else. However, if you're keen enough to want one you can install a loop with large radius curves just for these.

They run very well and are perfectly controllable, when given time to bed in. Far from a novelty, I have seen people operate scale length trains on garden railways with them.
Matt from Wales.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by WelshMatt
Offline kimballthurlow  
#22 Posted : 16 June 2009 01:32:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Matt,
The live steam locos form Hornby are also plastic bodies?
regards
Kimball
Offline WelshMatt  
#23 Posted : 16 June 2009 02:11:07(UTC)
WelshMatt

I think so, but it's very solid heat-resistant plastic. Given there are big lumps of brass inside the loco and tender I don't think lack of weight for adhesion will be a problem, and they look pretty good to me. They aren't cheap, but considering what you're getting I'd say they're not overpriced either. There are very few good live steam locos in any scale for that sort of money. I have seen it recommended that you get the rolling road to go with them, as this will allow you to do the initial running in without worrying about the loco taking off and derailing. They have a good turn of speed and lack the instant control of normal electric locos, so you probably want to learn to control it on a rolling road before hooking up twelve of their LNER teak coaches and sending it off around the layout.
Matt from Wales.

Offline RayF  
#24 Posted : 16 June 2009 18:37:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I've just seen this thread.

Mallard in Garter blue is a beauty! If Marklin were to make one, I would buy one and run it as a demonstration model with my German trains. It is, after all, a world record holder, and in my "model world" it could have been sent to Germany to show it off! I could even make a little plaque for the front to read "Mallard World Tour".

They did actually do something similar with A3 "Flying Scotsman".
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline banco  
#25 Posted : 16 June 2009 19:16:58(UTC)
banco

I too would love to have an English section in the Marklin catalogue. However I guess Marklin look at the UK market and think that they could not compete with the established firms who make UK locos. However as UK steam heritage has made a large contribution to the world of railways , it seems unfair that Marklin choose to largly ignore it ( Hogwarts Castle excepted !) I feel that it is a shame because the UK train catalogue does have some potential as many of the designs used in the UK are quite unique and would expand Marklin's range considerably
C track,6021,large digital loft layout modelled in the legendary European land of "Moresnet"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by banco
Offline RDRBerry  
#26 Posted : 17 June 2009 01:26:41(UTC)
RDRBerry

I am not sure this would work.

There is the odd Rivarossi Royal Scot in AC you see on e bay with matching coaches it looks nice.It did go to the USA before WW2, as did the Coronation.

In WW1 there were the ROD 2 8 0's and a range of UK engines were made for Holland.

Marklin did do a Warship Diesel hydraulic, a bit crude based on 3021 [as with the real thing].

A possible compromise I would love, has none of the big draw appeal but as my local line re imported one Its bias. The WD 2 8 0 and 2 10 0 locos built for D day ended up running in lot of European railways, Belgium has one on the main line, 2 of the 2 10 0's run in Greece.. Even better would be the USATC 0 60 tank used in France and UK..

In reality the past shabbiness of UK models has gone, I am rally impressed by some of the quality these days, mainly plastic but still afflicted by being over sized and the couplings....

More recently a UK GWR prarie was based at Wolstyn in Poland.
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RDRBerry
Offline WelshMatt  
#27 Posted : 17 June 2009 16:09:20(UTC)
WelshMatt

They are getting better with couplings - a lot of new stock has NEM pockets fitted. The weird one is Bachmann, who fit them but not always at the proper height for some reason best known to them. There's no technical reason that I can see for this, and they end up making strange cranked couplings to fit. Not really how a standardised coupler mount is supposed to work...

We're still not quite at the European standard approach with close coupling but it's getting there, a few design faults aside. Hornby's LNER coaches will accept Fleischmann or Roco close couplers, or Kadees for a bit more realism (the real things had drop-head knuckle couplers and retractable buffers, along with pullman type gangways)
Matt from Wales.

Offline TTRExpress  
#28 Posted : 17 June 2009 18:11:36(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
TRIX Twin Railways used to manufacture the TRIX 1190 A4 Mallard LNER Blue, TRIX 1188 A4 Silver Link LNER Grey and the TRIX 1195 A4 Merlin BR Green as 2-rail DC models in the mid to late 1960's. On occassion some come up for sale on E-bay. I am sure you could convert one to operate on Maerklin 3-rail AC.

You could also install a two-rail DC loop on your layout and operate in original condition!
Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TTRExpress
Offline WelshMatt  
#29 Posted : 17 June 2009 21:55:26(UTC)
WelshMatt

If you're willing to add a 2 rail line, take a look at these:

http://railsofsheffield....tive-r2779-JJJA9874.aspx

This loco has had very favourable reviews, it's part of the "Railroad" budget range but I've heard that some of the ultra-finescale kitbuilding crowd think it's a great basic model that wouldn't look out of place anywhere if you added the smaller details. At that price, can you really go wrong? It probably won't like R1 curves though...
Matt from Wales.

Offline tim01433  
#30 Posted : 18 June 2009 21:35:50(UTC)
tim01433

I once asked the same question a couple years ago, but we finally decided to intigrate standard DC HO into our layout so that we can run English model produced by Hornby, as well as Marklin. We were so impressed with the quality of the new Hornby that we decided to become dealers. Here are a few pics of our store layout. It measures 18.5' x 26'. There is over 300' of track currently.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tim01433
Offline Bridgey.  
#31 Posted : 30 March 2024 20:04:11(UTC)
Bridgey.

United Kingdom   

I personally would love to see more British trains manufactured in HO scale, it looks so much better traversing model railway curves than OO scale does. There is less overhang of the rolling stock on these curves.

I recently purchased the 2023 Trix DCC sound version of the Flying Scotsman, and I can say that this model is superb, it just now needs a rake of British Rail mark1 and 2 coaches for it to prototypically haul.

If only the continental manufacturers like Trix, Fleischmann and Roco, would again dip their toes in the water to produce it.

I now think that the British modeller is more wiser to the discrepant anomaly of OO-1/76 scale, than they were back in the 1970s/80s when they produced the likes of the Fleischmann BR class 42 warships, Lima class 33 diesels and the Rivarossi LMS parallel boiler fitted Royal Scots locomotives.

Please have another go Roco, Fleischmann and others, you may be surprised.

All the very best to all.

Bridgey.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bridgey.
Offline David Dewar  
#32 Posted : 30 March 2024 21:05:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: davemr Go to Quoted Post
No chance of Marklin making British outline. They could not compete against Hornby which even in these conditions remains a profitable business.

Hornby have been losing Millions for years and only because of lockdown have they now made a small profit. They will need a lot of luck to keep going into the future.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline cintrans  
#33 Posted : 01 April 2024 14:54:19(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Nice to see the "Mallard" in a post here...
A (Hornby???) model of the Mallard had a small role in the popular TV series "NCIS" a few weeks ago!
The episode dedicated to the passing of David McCallum (Donald “Ducky” Mallard in the series)

Regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline Munich 1860  
#34 Posted : 04 April 2024 12:57:49(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: davemr Go to Quoted Post

Hornby have been losing Millions for years and only because of lockdown have they now made a small profit. They will need a lot of luck to keep going into the future.

Maybe you're right, David, but I think you'll find you answered a post that's 15 year old.... So, things might have changed.
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.