Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline FMS  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2009 03:14:18(UTC)
FMS

Hi You all!
I bought a plastic kit from Marklin (no produced by them, but anyway) Bausatz Bahnhof „Lachenheim“ Art.Nr. 72798.
I did it because my Father told me to try one instead of building my own structures.
Ok, the point is, I do everything with lots of care and detail. I did the same with this plastic kit, it's almost done but there are a few things that make me frustrated, like after being paying atention to perfect cuts, tunning certain parts, in the end some edges just don't match with perfection!!!![:(]
Is it Me or this is just normal and sometimes this plastic kits are not that perfect?
Regards
FMS
Offline mmrcnzjohn  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2009 03:23:55(UTC)
mmrcnzjohn

New Zealand   
most are ok, but it always pays to have some Tamya modelling putty or such like on hand

John
Offline rcorreia  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2009 12:30:40(UTC)
rcorreia

~Most plastic kits have that problem... but it's not a "real problem"... you can get advantage from that misperfects, if you weather the structure... if you want something weatheres, try gluing some herbs, or something like that.

If you want a really new looking building, you must go with tamiya putty, place it, let it to dry and then try to sculp it to make it look better. In the end a coat of paint and you have a perfect model...
Ricardo Correia
Lisboa, Portugal
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Meinburg/123173834418570
Offline gachar001  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2009 19:59:20(UTC)
gachar001

India   
The biggest problem I find with plastic kits are some of the latger panels will be warped slightly. This makes it a pain to build.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline dntower85  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2009 20:00:19(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
The bad thing is that the quality varies from kit to kit and not by the maker. So its hard to pick one brand over another. I don't mind bad aliment of edges as much as missing parts.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline WelshMatt  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2009 20:15:13(UTC)
WelshMatt

Some brands of kit are much better than others. Tamiya for example are great - all the parts fit together. Same goes with Parkside Dundas in the railway world. But some kits appear to have been designed by people who didn't realise that they were supposed to fit together.

The sad part is that so many people respond with phrases like "Proper modellers will cope". Why should they have to? A well-designed kit is a pleasure for anyone to build and produces a better result. I'd far rather spend my time on adding extra detailing than on making the basic structure fit together in the right shape.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline spitzenklasse  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2009 20:21:21(UTC)
spitzenklasse

I have had some of the same issues. I thought I was assembling incorrectly. I guess with models, as with prototype building, nothing is always plumb perfect. Some extra sanding/filing makes for a better fit.
Offline rhtastro  
#8 Posted : 13 April 2009 21:07:43(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
There's a huge variability in kits and brands. Some fit better than others but really they're just models anyway. And they're just plastic so we can't expect perfection. However, when finished, they do look a little like their prototypes. That's the main thing. Actually I find the detail in most kits to be very good. It's a lot better than building from scratch out of wood like we use to. Now those were the days when models looked really junky.

Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline WelshMatt  
#9 Posted : 13 April 2009 23:59:58(UTC)
WelshMatt

We should be able to expect things to fit together well even when they're made of the dreaded plastic. Tamiya manage it with their radio control and static kits. My brother built their USS Enterprise kit a few years ago and had no problems with poor design or misshapen parts, everything "just fitted".
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 14 April 2009 00:42:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have built lots of plastic building kits, mostly Faller, and in the majority of cases the parts have been accurate and fit well together.

When parts are warped, the best solution is usually to hold everything together with elastic bands while the glue sets. Occasionally, you will need some filler to make good an imperfect joint, but in almost every case I can blame myself for having misaligned the parts.

I find it helps if you try to build the main walls with "blu-tack" or similar to check the fit before trying the same with glue.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline FMS  
#11 Posted : 14 April 2009 03:31:40(UTC)
FMS

Hi guys!

I guess that it's also my fault, but I also noticed that Vollmer is nice but there are a few things that they could do better. I tell you all that I did my best to try to fit and match every edge, still ( and I know that I'm also responsible) a few of them just don't match...that's what it seems to me,
Regards
FMS
Offline hxmiesa  
#12 Posted : 14 April 2009 12:47:57(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by FMS
I guess that it's also my fault, but I also noticed that Vollmer is nice but there are a few things that they could do better. I tell you all that I did my best to try to fit and match every edge, still ( and I know that I'm also responsible) a few of them just don't match...that's what it seems to me,

My own experience and opinion is that especially Vollmer kits use a more rigid plastic, and parts are thinner/finer.
Add to that that their plastic also seems less tolerant to UV rays.
Almost every Vollmer model I have assembled, has caused me grief either during building or later when finished (or both ;-)
They seem to have the best desingers/most detailed kits though!

I prefer (older) Kibri kits; Thick soft plastic. Nice designs, easy to modify.

It's impossible to generalize with Faller. Their products are all over the place, quality-wise speaking. (Former Pola products seems to me more consistent in quality, and they're not too bad ;-)

Worst fitting I've seen is from Heljan. Märklin used to have several kits produced by Heljan. There are pieces which are really physically impossible to join, although the instructions states so...

I've never used any filler. I usually cut and meassure several times until the parts fit. -Also if it means cutting away extensive parts.
By using rubber-bands and adhesive tape, you can normally force warped parts together, but the result can warp the WHOLE structure.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline davemr  
#13 Posted : 14 April 2009 15:35:09(UTC)
davemr

Faller is usually excellent. If you are prepared to spend more time ensuring that the parts fit correctly before using glue then you should get a perfect model. I agree with a post above that some Vollmer models are poor fitting.
One point is to make sure you have good lighting and a magnifier for the smaller parts.
davemr