Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Writhdar  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2009 17:59:39(UTC)
Writhdar

At some point in the future, I may want to add a turntable to a layout I am in the very initial phases of. If the turntable lies flat on the surface, rather than nesting in a cut-out circle on the tabletop, how high above the tabletop are the tracks? I've not been able to find any mention of the vertical dimensions of the turnable. Thank you.

Dan
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2009 18:11:20(UTC)
Goofy

K-tracks and turntable has same height of rail,so you can placement on the same tabletop.
If you are using corkunderlay with K-tracks,you must do it same way with turntable.
If you wish...

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Writhdar  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2009 20:42:19(UTC)
Writhdar

Goofy,

If the turntable is simply put on the bench, its track connections are higher than the bench surface. So, if I have a track layout on the bench surface, how high do I need to raise the tracks that will go from the existing layout to the turntable. Thanks

Dan
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2009 21:22:42(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Dan,

First of all, I can't help you with the exact vertical measurement, but it is in the range of 25 to 30 mm. Hope this helps a little.
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline Writhdar  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2009 02:47:36(UTC)
Writhdar

Sander,

Thank you - that is just the information I was looking for.

Dan
Offline intruder  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2009 03:49:26(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Just as an information, Dan:

If you wish to install TT 7286 on top of the table, you should concider to make a flat ring around the TT. 7286 works absolutely best when it is resting on the 48 elements in it's circumference, as it is designed to be "sunk into" the base plate.

Mine did not work very well when it layed on the table, but it works perfect after cutting a hole in my layout plate.

I hope I managed to make an undersatandable explanation.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Writhdar  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2009 06:26:49(UTC)
Writhdar

Intruder,

Thank you - the turntable, roundhouse, and other structures that I would have with it would be on a plywood or foam sheet - a loco maintenace "plateau" - above the main layout. The turntable would nest in this sheet and a track would rise 25 - 30 mm from the main layout to this area (the grade would be <3%). So the sheet would be supporting the turntable.

I may never do this but I wanted to think about whether it would be feasible. The simple approach - cut out a hole now on the main layout plywood for the turntable - is something I'm not ready to do. I'm not sure I want a turntable and I'm not sure exactly where I would place it if I did get one. Once the layout is built, cutting a hole later may be problematic so I wanted to see if there was an alternative.

Dan
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 13 April 2009 11:20:43(UTC)
Goofy

Last time i did used turntable,i did had only 10 mm plywood table.
It was perfectly too.
It don´t says,that you must using 25-30 mm thick tabletop.
Good luck anyway...!

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 13 April 2009 15:20:10(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
i strongly recommend you set the turntable into the board, trying to raise all the tracks and maintain realistic looking gradients will be a nightmare...
here is how I tackled the problem:
Once I built the base board I temporarily screwed it into place and then I positioned the turntable so that the approach track would line up with it nicely.
http://layout.mixmox.com...triebswerk_engine_yard_2
If you do not have the turntable in hand yet, simply draw and printout a lifesize representation of it on paper and use that.
Then I removed the plywood cut the hole for the turntable.
http://layout.mixmox.com/1/Engine_yard
Note that I did require a small collar to bring the turntable tracks up to the level of my K-Track which are on Merkur/Noch roadbed. This can be made of plywood.
Then the roundhouses can be installed and the ground level brought up to the ballast height:
http://layout.mixmox.com/1/second-roundhouse

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Writhdar  
#10 Posted : 13 April 2009 18:20:01(UTC)
Writhdar

Dale,

Thank you - and I want to add that your work is simply incredible.

I would only have a single track section heading to the "plateau" - everything on the plateau would be level. The limiting factor may be that I won't have enough room on the plateau for a roundhouse and various maintenance structures & associated track - in fact, as I sketch things out in replying, I'm beginning to think that the plateau will be too small - well, this keeps my mind active.

Dan