Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhobson1968  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2009 06:46:30(UTC)
rhobson1968

I just recently went from 100% analog to 100% digital through the purchase of an entire digital setup. My problem is I have 20+ engines that are analog. I don't want to sell them as I have had them for many years, but my entire layout is setup to run digital now. Can someone give me some pointers on which decoders I can get and where without spending a mint.
Never quit building.
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2009 07:03:54(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Ralph

See the following topic
Lists the parts necessary. FOr decoders ESU Lokpilot, loksound and ESU MFX decoders and and Magnets.
You can try
www.euromodeltrains.com and www.ajckids.com both members here.

https://www.marklin-user...ult.aspx?g=posts&t=10807

Nev

PS:
Welcome
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2009 13:10:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Ralph,

An alternative to Nev's suggestion, but only for those locos with DCM motors, is the Marklin 60760 kit, which has a decoder and parts to convert a DCM motor to 5 pole high efficiency propulsion. It's a bit cheaper than getting the seperate motor bits and a Lokpilot decoder, though the LP is a bit better, performance wise, than the supplied Marklin decoder.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Caplin  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2009 14:06:15(UTC)
Caplin

Ralph,

Welcome to THE Forum biggrin.

If you are not familiar with the types of motor in your locos look here (Märklin only):
http://www.bahn.hfkern.de/Maerklin/Menue.html

.. and here for decoder kits descriptions:
http://www.hamst.de/html/umbausatze.html
http://decoder.x-train.de/

Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline Writhdar  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2009 17:38:38(UTC)
Writhdar

Benny,

The locomotive list is wonderful - I have been looking for something like this. I notice it seems to only go to 2005 - do you know of an updated list? Thank you.

Dan
Offline rhobson1968  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2009 19:18:59(UTC)
rhobson1968

Thanks for the input. This will help.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />Ralph

See the following topic
Lists the parts necessary. FOr decoders ESU Lokpilot, loksound and ESU MFX decoders and and Magnets.
You can try
www.euromodeltrains.com and www.ajckids.com both members here.

https://www.marklin-user...ult.aspx?g=posts&t=10807

Nev

PS:
Welcome
Never quit building.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2009 20:58:07(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I would suggest using ESU LokPilot decoders with a permanent magnet also from ESU.
I do not bother upgrading the armature from 3 pole to 5 pole as the performance of a 3 pole motor with EMF load regulation and many speed steps provides excellent slow running characteristics IMHO.

Be very certain that you actually want expensive features such as sound and MFX before paying a lot of money fo such features. Sound decoders - you only need one to two to demonstrate the technology. Having more than one running just makes a din. mFx - you will spend at least 30 minutes installing whatever decoder you install... so spend an extra 3 minutes registering your non-mfx loco address and you won't need mfx.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Caplin  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2009 22:50:36(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Writhdar
<br />The locomotive list is wonderful - I have been looking for something like this. I notice it seems to only go to 2005 - do you know of an updated list? Thank you.
No, I am not aware of later updates. Sorry.

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Writhdar  
#9 Posted : 23 February 2009 00:50:27(UTC)
Writhdar

Excuse my ignorance but what is "Koll"? You mention it as a source of locomotive information. Thank you.

Dan
Offline drwhitl  
#10 Posted : 23 February 2009 04:41:39(UTC)
drwhitl

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />I would suggest using ESU LokPilot decoders with a permanent magnet also from ESU.
I do not bother upgrading the armature from 3 pole to 5 pole as the performance of a 3 pole motor with EMF load regulation and many speed steps provides excellent slow running characteristics IMHO.

Be very certain that you actually want expensive features such as sound and MFX before paying a lot of money fo such features. Sound decoders - you only need one to two to demonstrate the technology. Having more than one running just makes a din. mFx - you will spend at least 30 minutes installing whatever decoder you install... so spend an extra 3 minutes registering your non-mfx loco address and you won't need mfx.

The ESU MFX decoders also perform reasonably well with the original 3 pole motor + Hamo magnet (unsurprising, considering that they are virtually lokpilots anyway), although 5 pole motors tend to be smoother. The price difference between ESU MFX and ESU lokpilot is negligible. Marklin MFX decoders are considerably more expensive

cheers
Dennis
Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2009 04:48:43(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Koll is actually
KOLLS Price Catalogue a definative reference book on Marklin HO. Gives a description of different variations of a Model and estimated prices (In German)

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Caplin  
#12 Posted : 23 February 2009 11:47:14(UTC)
Caplin

If you Google Kolls Price Catalog there is an entry for 2006 catalog coming soon (out of stock). How often is Kolls issued? The pricebooks also looks rather costly.
Regards,

UserPostedImage