Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2009 10:30:10(UTC)
James

Canada   
Hello All:

I would like to inquire if anyone knows if the CS1 and CS2 can be used on my layout without any special connection cable?

That is, if I have my layout running between two rooms, and if I completely isolate the tracks between the two rooms, (both the third rail and the main rails) can I operate a Central Station 1 in one room with a transformer and a Central Station 2 in a second room with a seperate transformer?

I'm told that with a booster, that I have to run two transformers (one for the CS2 and one for the booster, each requiring seperate transformer, but that the two sections being controlled must be completely isolated)

I know that with Digital, running two transformers on the layout together is wrong, but the info about using two transformers with the booster would suggest that if the sections (blocks) are isolated then there is no problem... seems to me to be the same difference?

Am I wrong?

Thanks
James
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2009 11:09:39(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
You can run the two Central Stations separately if the layout is totally divided between them (like when it is located in two rooms). The only problem is when you cross the border sections the train stops if it is not running on the other central. So you have to select each loco in both rooms, give them a speed and direction command and then they can pass between the two sections. Because both CS's are indipendent and can't communicate with each other. But if you have only a few trains passing through or if you are two persons operating one room each it is possible to handle.

Märklin announced a device for connecting a CS1 together with a CS2, but it is uncertain if it will ever hit the market. Two CS2's can be hooked up together through the can-bus. Then you have communication between the units and possibility to control every train from your own unit.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline James  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2009 19:40:35(UTC)
James

Canada   
Karl:

Thanks for the information. You are correct in wondering if the proposed connector box will ever hit the market.

One question that I have is... wouldn't there be a problem with the two transformers? With Marklin's third rail, complete seperation could never be guaranteed. Any lighted coaches would just add to the problem.

I guess if I could find a long extension cord for the Mobile Station, that would work as well Smile.

Thanks for your reply.

Sincerely
James

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2009 21:39:12(UTC)
H0

If you try this (two digital controllers on one layout) make sure to use a center rail rocker.
And don't use vehicles with two connected sliders (e.g. some old BR 50 locos). No problem with new M* trains like ICE.

See also here:
https://www.marklin-user...Terms=center,rail,rocker
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage