Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jvuye  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2009 12:44:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello
Since I did not get any response to this msg on the HO forum, I repost it here...hopefully someone can help.
I am considering installing a 7286 turntable on my new layout (currently in the drawing stage).
Installing with the usual 15 deg spacing between track is pretty obvious, but I have not found detailed information or pictures using the 7.5 deg spacing.
I think I may have space to install this, which I also think is a wonderful way of displaying one's steam locos collection
I would really appreciate to hear experiences and recommendations from those here who have true "hands-on" experience with this set up.
What I am specifically after is:
1) which roundhouse to use?
2) overall outside diameter with said roundhouse
3) Any issue? (Functionally, operationally, etc.)
Thanks a lot in advance!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2009 12:48:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Jacques, I know the Marklin catalogs give measurements when using the 7286 with the Marklin 72881 roundhouse.

The measurement shown in the catalog is 600mm from the turntable's centre to the rear end of the roundhouse, with a 15 degree track spacing. The doors of the roundhouse do not accommodate 7.5 degrees.
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2009 15:27:42(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Yes, thanks!
I have those 15 deg values already in my Modellplan layout design software.
I can also draw it at 7.5 deg, and deduct the overall dimensions etc. that is not the issue.
I would like to hear from someone who has the set up installed and would be willing to share his/her experiences.
This is a major decision for me: it takes a lot of space, and I want to do it right, so if I can avoid making mistakes, I'd rellay be grateful!
Thanks again!
Jacques
Offline Nigel Packer  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2009 17:26:27(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Hi Jacques,

I'm glad to hear that you are working on your new layout!

I have installed the Märklin turntable with 7.5 degree spacing, and I think it looks much better than the more usual 15 degree option.

I think the only option for a roundhouse that is designed for 7.5 degrees is the old Pola Freilassing roundhouse, marketed by Faller as model number 120218, though sadly it seems to be missing from the latest Faller catalogue. This is the one I use, and I have twelve loco stalls (though I should have built more!). Overall radius to the back of the roundhouse is 430mm (therefore 860mm diameter), according to the Faller catalogue - I haven't measured my real parts!

Turntable reliability has been perfect for me using the Märklin 7687 decoder (despite what you may have read elsewhere - I think with the recent spec turntables all the problems are sorted out), and it's a joy to watch the turntable automatically finding the right stall every time.

Control with the CS2 is great, as the functions are built in - with the CS1 it's a bit flaky unless you connect a 6040 keyboard via a 6021 to the CS1. With a 6021 or Intellibox you really need a dedicated 6040 keyboard.

Best of luck with the layout. Let us know how you get on!

Best wishes,

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2009 11:42:14(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Nigel and Co!
That's what I needed to know!!Smile
I'll plan a circle of 1000 mm for the turntable and stalls+ ancillary scenery.
Worst case I'll scratch build the stalls if I can't find them commercially.wink
Now I can make my decision and go on with the planning.
I'll show the plan for the station, depot and BW first and will sollicit feedback first.
Don't hold your breath though: I am still laying the new floor!
Many thanks once again!
Offline klinge-germany  
#6 Posted : 24 January 2009 15:05:02(UTC)
klinge-germany

hello jacques,
sounds a good decision for me to use the 7,5 degree option, most prototype turntables/roundhouse combinations have been like that, with space for a long steam loco in front of the shed. the freilassing faller roundhouse was on ebay some time ago for about 60 euros, the fleischmann roundhouse is a little bit more expensive (broken down to the cost of one stall). what you can do if you want to save some money, is to construct and build a 'skeleton' of the roundhouse only without roof and walls, this was the prototype situation after ww2 very often in germany and these sheds weren't reconstructed in full by db. i for myself plan a combination of the faller kits and these skeletons,the kits near the outer border of my layout and the skeletons more away in order to ease the manual access to the tracks in case of problems (derailments). please keep in mind that only k-track fits to the maerklin tt directly, for c or m-track you need the adapter tracks or must construct an own solution for connecting them directly to the tt. for the tracks to the roundhouse i would suggest flex track so you are not dependent on the fixed length pieces.
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline jvuye  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2009 18:08:22(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thanks Alfred!
I know now what to do about it, and may even do the scratch building to my own specification: the shed is supposed to be the central part of a railway museum including "historic trains" operationsSmile(so I can mix eras and RR companies) and need no other excuse to do whatever I want!
I plan to have an overhead "spin" for the electrics too.
Wish me luck!!Coolbiggrin
Offline Macfire  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2009 08:44:42(UTC)
Macfire

I thought that Faller produces a 7,5 degree roundhouse?
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline klinge-germany  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2009 11:12:02(UTC)
klinge-germany

hello tony,
as nigel stated a few answers above, this roundhouse (taken over from the good old POLA programme named 'freilassing',5 stalls per piece), art.no 120218 has vanished fromt their catalogue and (i just checked that) from their online offering. so if i am right, the fleischmann shed (3 stalls per piece) is the only offering for a 7.5 degree supporting roundhouse nowadays.
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline DaleSchultz  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2009 03:32:50(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
while my 6 main roundhouse sheds are at 15° I do have a set of 3 tracks that leave the turntable at 7,5°, 2 of which glide into some straight engine sheds, and then there are the two main entrance and exit tracks that are also at 7,5°
These can be seen at http://layout.mixmox.com/1/Engine_yard and then later with the sheds assembled in the 5th picture at http://layout.mixmox.com/1/second-roundhouse

Its all a matter of geometry, if you try to have engine shed stalls at 7,5° you may need to scratch build all your sheds and then place them quite a long way away from the turntable so that the rails are wide enough to have locos parked on adjacent tracks. This will result in a lot of empty space around the turntable.

What I suggest as a practical alternative is to do a bit of both, have some engine sheds at 15° and then some tracks (without sheds) at 7,5° on which you can store as many locos as there is space - as one typically sees around a rail preservation BW.

Running some tracks off at 7,5°and having them end up in additional (straight) sheds some way off has worked well for me in terms of space usage and aesthetics.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com