Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Munich 1860  
#51 Posted : 30 January 2009 22:56:57(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Oscar,

thank you for sharing your photos !!! I have a question for you concerning your approach when collecting passenger cars.

From what you are saying one could gather that you might be perfectly happy when you spot a certain car in mint condition with its box as long as it fits into your collecting scheme (sixties, green or blue box and so on ...). But what happens then ?? Will you buy a second car of the same make ?? Don't you try to get a complete train together ??

And what happens if you have a say grade 3 car in your possession and a grade 1 car comes along ?? Will you then sell the old and worn one (provided it came from an auction and does not contain personal memories) ??

I am just curious !!

Many regards,

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline MARKLIN LOVER  
#52 Posted : 31 January 2009 01:23:58(UTC)
MARKLIN LOVER

Now this here is some GREAT reading, thanks!
Keep em on the rails!

Ivan!
Offline Oscar  
#53 Posted : 31 January 2009 15:15:24(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Munich 1860
<br />But what happens then ?? Will you buy a second car of the same make ?? Don't you try to get a complete train together ??

<font face="Verdana]I'm a collector at heart, albeit one with a very limited budget. If I spend EUR 300,- on Märklin in a single year, then that's a lot for me. During the last few months I've spent a lot more on it, because my iPod offered me a chance to sell off my huge (and by now un-used) CD collection. That enabled me to invest some more money in old Märklin than I usually do. Anyway, my tight budget does not allow me to collect more than 1 copy of a model for the sake of getting a train together to drive on the lay-out. That's not really an issue for me, though. For an old German D-Zug, for example, I will string a 4024, 4026, 4022, 4023 and 4027 together.</font id="Verdana]

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Munich 1860
<br />And what happens if you have a say grade 3 car in your possession and a grade 1 car comes along ?? Will you then sell the old and worn one (provided it came from an auction and does not contain personal memories) ??

<font face="Verdana][size=2]Either that, or I keep the grade-3 for lay-out purposes or as a provider of spare parts.
</font id="Verdana]
Offline seatrains  
#54 Posted : 01 February 2009 05:08:52(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Oscar, very nice. I have many of the same models. Here in the USA is it a little harder to find vintage Ma on a budget, but I am always looking. You have more with the original karton, than I do, which really adds to the photos. I have bought many on ebay us and a few on ebay de, but the shipping can be very high. I also have some models from my uncle and others from swap meets. I too have come across pristine 1980's examples, and grabbed them instead of holding out for a version 1 or 2. I have also started to collect vintage buildings from Faller, Vau-pe and others to compliment the vintage Maerklin. My ultimate dream is to have a vintage tischbahn (all analog) to run these on. Thank you, and please continue posting!!!
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline Oscar  
#55 Posted : 01 February 2009 10:34:10(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seatrains
<br />My ultimate dream is to have a vintage tischbahn (all analog) to run these on. Thank you, and please continue posting!!!

<font face="Verdana][size=2]Hear, hear! I have a small '60s style layo-out that is kind of cute, but like you I long for a big Tischbahn. My house is too small though, so it isn't in the cards. I did buy the C-track sets C1 through C5, so I can make interesting carpet lay-outs with my kids. C-track is great for carpet lay-outs because the connections are nice and snug. No derailments, ever.</font id="Verdana]
Offline dbmike  
#56 Posted : 04 February 2009 07:06:15(UTC)
dbmike

stunning pics Oscar!! I am another of the vintage M fans around here and also stuck in the USA on a limited budget and space. My small layout, with fully functional catenary is over in the layout forum. I have about all the engines I need, now its on to some smaller passenger cars and more beer wagons for my brewery. I will get new pics when I set up the layout at the local show this coming weekend. Keep the pics coming Oscar, did you sell your small layout or end up keeping it? That was a sweet layout, I hated to see you put it up for sale. I have thought about doing the same so I can build a USA style layout, but I think I can build a small shelf layout above my M layout and have both. Cheers Mike
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline Oscar  
#57 Posted : 04 February 2009 09:28:11(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dbmike
<br />Oscar, did you sell your small layout or end up keeping it? That was a sweet layout, I hated to see you put it up for sale.
<font face="Verdana][size=2]I still have it. Smile Transportation is obviously an issue as this lay-out was not designed to be portable. My problem is that due to limited space in my house, the lay-out is in the shed. And the shed does not have heating. That doesn't exactly help to keep things in good shape, and I hate to see it deteriorate. It's still a nice lay-out and it functions as intended, but before too long I will be forced to dismantle it to prevent further climate effects.

Some more coaches today. You might have noticed that I prefer the 'Cellonscheiben' coaches, but I do have a couple of other coaches and today I'll show three of those.

UserPostedImage

The first generation of TEE coaches! I've always liked the old TEE trains and it is a shame that they're gone. I vividly remember them departing from Amsterdam station, to places like Zürich or Paris. Anyway, this Märklin model is quite nice. It's a 4055.1.

UserPostedImage

Two very nice Swiss coaches next, the 4066.1 and the 4066.2. The difference between the two is that Märklin used the regular Minden-Deutz bogies for the .1 (which are incorrect) but switched to the genuine Swiss bogies for the .2. It makes a big difference on how the model looks!

UserPostedImage

Normally I do not collect each subversion that was produced of a model (that would be unmanageable and unaffordable), but I could bought these two together once and decided to keep them both. They're fully metal, which is nice. They're in perfect condition, unused.

"Unused" does not apply to my last two coaches at all. I bought them only to drive them on my lay-out.

UserPostedImage

They're run-of-the-mill late-'70s Silberlinge and really nothing special at all. They can do 'Wendezugbetrieb' because there is a cab in the coach. I drive them with a E41, a V100 or a V160. These coaches have logged many a mile, have experienced countless derailings, and have the marks to prove it. They're real battle warriors but still look OK. For the record, it's a 4077.1 and a 4083.2.

That's it for coaches - I'm still hunting for some 'Cellonscheiben' coaches that have so far eluded me, such as the 4033, the 4036, 4037 and some older ones like the 4020. But there's still time, I ain't dead yet biggrin.

Next time I'll continue with the locos 3053, 3064 and 3068.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline Troy Yang  
#58 Posted : 04 February 2009 10:11:03(UTC)
Troy Yang

United States   
You have a fine collection.

On the other hand, they are pretty common stuff. There is nothing we have not seen before. It does get tiring to many of us.
Marklin HO - all eras and everything.
Offline Oscar  
#59 Posted : 04 February 2009 14:21:38(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Troy Yang
<br />It does get tiring to many of us.

<font face="Verdana][size=2]That's fair enough. But what do you want me to do with that remark? There's absolutely nothing I can do with it. I'd say most discussions on a forum like this have been done before to some extent. I can't even remember when I last saw a photo of a model that I had never seen before. So I guess what you can do is to look for discussions that interest you and stay out of the ones that bore you. That's what I do, pick and choose. It's a TV with a heck of a lot of channels, man. Zap away if you don't like it.</font id="Verdana]
Offline DamonKelly  
#60 Posted : 04 February 2009 15:21:36(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Troy Yang
<br />On the other hand, they are pretty common stuff. There is nothing we have not seen before. It does get tiring to many of us.

Not to me!!!

Keep it up Oscar biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Cheers,
Damon
Offline seatrains  
#61 Posted : 04 February 2009 17:39:20(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Troy, you are correct. Everything here, most of us have seen before, but not all of us have all these models in our collection. As a member of this list, who collects vintage Maerklin, that I did not have as a child, I can tell you that Oscar, on a budget, has a remarkable collection!!! It is very difficult to find Silberlinges, in good shape on a budget. Most of them have a lot of play wear, show dirt and rust under the silver band, in my experience. Thanks for sharing and keep posting.
Thom
Offline Renato  
#62 Posted : 04 February 2009 19:20:10(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Oscar,

I fully agree with you.
I usually have a look at new posts and, if interested I read through them.
In any case I like your story as a Marklin collector and your pictures.
Go ahead!

Renato
Offline dbmike  
#63 Posted : 04 February 2009 19:35:43(UTC)
dbmike

Keep the posts coming, while I collect vintage Marklin as well, being in the USA, one doesnt get much exposure to the German models. Your pics help me decide what I want to find next for my collection. I never grow tired of viewing vintage M trains. If there wasnt a huge ocean and huge shipping costs, I would give that layout a new home Oscar. Not that I could afford to buy it, let alone ship it. Cheers Mike
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline Philip  
#64 Posted : 04 February 2009 19:42:52(UTC)
Philip

Oscar.
I really like your topic.
It bubbles of nostalgia and collectors' delight.
Just let other collectors enjoy your fine images.
And don´t let the stupid comments get to you.

Philip
Philip.

Let's keep it simple.
MFDWPL
Offline Munich 1860  
#65 Posted : 05 February 2009 01:23:22(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
I also like this topic and I think it is just wonderfül if somebody takes the time and the energy to go on like this, there is a lot of work involved !!

Oscar's approach to collecting is different from mine, hence my question further up there, and I have everything that has been shown here also, but very often in not mint state. So there is a STORY behind his collection which makes it unique and there is a LOGIC behind it, and that makes it comprehensive and lovable.

And the collectors' corner on this forum is for the lovable aspects of Märklin, and I would like to see it remain so. So Oscar please keep up the work ....

@ Troy Yang: What would you like to see here ?? Give me a clue, maybe we could help you ...

Or maybe you could show us some real rareties ....

Many regards from

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline foumaro  
#66 Posted : 05 February 2009 09:20:34(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Just keep posting.biggrin
Offline kariosls37  
#67 Posted : 05 February 2009 10:28:16(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
of all the channels on the net, this one is surely one of the best!
please keep on posting pics of your lovely collection. it is great to see those models in such good hands.
regards,
kariosls
Offline mj  
#68 Posted : 05 February 2009 19:50:22(UTC)
mj

Sweden   
Thank you Oscar for letting us see your beutiful collection! Please, keep them coming! biggrin
Magnus
Offline Oscar  
#69 Posted : 06 February 2009 20:29:29(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]Back to locomotives!

First is the 3053 E03. I love this model Smile.

UserPostedImage

Despite the fact that the loco is mostly plastic, it is surprisingly heavy. I've always favoured the early E03's with just one row of air inlets, somehow it is more pretty than the later version with a double row. Just like its 1:1 example, this locomotive loves to run long and fast. It whizzes around the tracks smoothly and surely, no matter how long you make the trains. The interior lighting in the engine room is a nice little extra.

Next is another Märklin bestseller, a small loco that was sold in great quantities: the 3064. Still, it is a full-fledged real Märklin. The handrails are fully metal, for example.

UserPostedImage

It may seem like a small shunting loco, but I've stood next to real thing in the railbed and if you've never been close to one yourself then I can assure you that in 1:1 it's a lot bigger than you think. It's also a very strong shunter and sometimes ventures out of town on the main line (for quite some time one of these locomotives drove trains between Arnhem in Holland and Emmerich in Germany, and not 50 yrs ago but as recently as 3 yrs ago!!). As for the model, I think it is very nice. It sounds a bit raspy but drives very well indeed. Lots of character, too.

Next, we head up to Norway.

UserPostedImage

Gotta love NOHAB's. Together with the Dutch electric locomotive of the 1200 series, the NOHAB's were pretty much the only American designs on European rails until the Class 66 emerged in the '90s. This model, the 3068, is fantastic. It has so much character and it weighs a ton due to its solid metal cover. Driving characteristics are incredible - this loco holds its own when compared to modern digital locomotives. I rarely drive it, but when I do it is a genuine pleasure!

Too bad that Märklin did not make a new drawing for the box of the 3068. All NOHAB's were sold with the Belgian version on the box - I would have loved to see one of those drawings depict a Norwegian one.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline Renato  
#70 Posted : 06 February 2009 20:43:22(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Oscar
<br /><font face="Verdana][size=2]Back to locomotives!

First is the 3053 E03. I love this model Smile.

Despite the fact that the loco is mostly plastic, it is surprisingly heavy. I've always favoured the early E03's with just one row of air inlets, somehow it is more pretty than the later version with a double row. Just like its 1:1 example, this locomotive loves to run long and fast. It whizzes around the tracks smoothly and surely, no matter how long you make the trains. The interior lighting in the engine room is a nice little extra.

</font id="Verdana]

Me too!

My story is different: when I was at high school in the early 70's, I received one TEE car in the classic red-yellow livery. Then I could not run it with my BR 89 (it was a very strange composition indeed), so I decided to buy the E03. What a model when I saw it for the first time in the box at the store!. Of course I still have it and I love this model very much, even if it is not digital and I do not run. This model was dosplayed several times at the model railways shows of my Club. I have also the Insider model with digitally controlled pantographs, but this is another story...

Renato
Offline mnosal  
#71 Posted : 07 February 2009 02:37:45(UTC)
mnosal

Thanks for sharing your collection with us. I appreciate seeing the boxes as well as the trains. The illustrations on the boxes are quite beautiful.

--Mike
Z-scale, DRG steam from Era 2. See: zscale.tumblr.com
Offline intruder  
#72 Posted : 07 February 2009 02:54:57(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Thanks again, Oscar!

I fully agree with you regarding the NoHABs. Fantastic locomotives.
See my collection at http://www.saebonet.com/svein/T...es/loco_types/NoHABs.htm
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline kariosls37  
#73 Posted : 07 February 2009 06:03:45(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
great models, beautiful pics. keep it up Oscar!
thanks for sharing
Offline Oscar  
#74 Posted : 07 February 2009 09:11:30(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by intruder
<br />See my collection at http://www.saebonet.com/svein/T...es/loco_types/NoHABs.htm

<font face="Verdana][size=2]Whoa! Now that's impressive! In the table I see you've upgraded most of them with new motors and decoders, correct? Awesome!</font id="Verdana]
Offline steventrain  
#75 Posted : 08 February 2009 12:26:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by intruder
<br />

I fully agree with you regarding the NoHABs. Fantastic locomotives.
See my collection at http://www.saebonet.com/svein/T...es/loco_types/NoHABs.htm

Very nice Collector of NOHABs.[:p]
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#76 Posted : 08 February 2009 13:43:36(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Here is my collector of Marklin 1950s.

http://steventrain.fotopic.net/c1650584.html

Sorry for poor picture.
UserPostedImage

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Oscar  
#77 Posted : 08 February 2009 15:00:27(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]Great stuff Steven! I love the crane and the E18 electric loco!</font id="Verdana]
Offline Oscar  
#78 Posted : 09 February 2009 09:56:01(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]Now that I've run out of coaches, it's time to pick up freight cars. My little collection of freight cars is in line with what you have seen so far, i.e. all late-'50s and '60s stuff, mostly with box, usually in good shape, but no models that will fetch a fortune on Ebay (which is to expected, as I don't have a fortune biggrin). I will go through them 4 at a time, and will continue to alternate them on a day-by-day basis with locomotives.

But before I start with freighters, I thought I would show you an original Märklin item that you cannot run on rails. It's pretty rare and I was really lucky to be able to find one. It's a book that commemorates 50 years of Märklin HO scale.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The book details the history of Märklin HO from its conception, with unlimited access to the Märklin factory and its historic models and archives. It's filled with hand-built prototypes that never made it into production, lots and lots of huge colour photographs of legendary models, and plenty of shots from the production process in Göppingen in the '50s and '60s. For example, there are photos of the construction process of the 4024 coach and the manual testing of the first batch of 3053 E03 locos. It's fabulous stuff!

Right, freighters. I won't comment on all of them, only when there is something noteworthy to tell. We're going through them by catalogue number as usual, and the lower numbers aren't all that interesting (sorry, guys). There will be some more interesting items later on.

UserPostedImage

^----4501.3 and 4502.6. They were part of the gift that started my hobby.

UserPostedImage

^----4503.6

UserPostedImage

^----4506.3. It's in bad shape and I will find me a better one. This one was also part of the gift from my uncle. It's been at the rear end of every freight train I've ever run.

That's it for now. Next time it's back to locomotives with the 3072, 3075 and 3084.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline intruder  
#79 Posted : 09 February 2009 23:01:13(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Thaks again, Oscar.

It's funny to see the prices written on some of the boxes. Is it Deutsche Mark?
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Oscar  
#80 Posted : 10 February 2009 08:45:16(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by intruder
<br />Thaks again, Oscar.

It's funny to see the prices written on some of the boxes. Is it Deutsche Mark?
<font face="Verdana][size=2]It depends where the models were originally sold. Everything that was part of the original gift from my uncle was sold in Holland, so the price is in Dutch guilders. A lot of the stuff I collected afterwards was originally sold in Germany, so the price is in Deutschmarks.</font id="Verdana]
Offline Oscar  
#81 Posted : 10 February 2009 09:03:01(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]Some more locomotives today!

Next up is a model that is a bit special to me. You know, I have a character trait that looks for beauty in the common things, not just in exceptional things. Many people only go gaga over really special items, but to me it doesn't matter if Märklin sold 1 copy or 1 million copies of a model. Of course as a collector it is nice to have something that is a bit rare, but from a visual perspective, i.e. whether or not a model appeals to me, it doesn't matter at all. Well, Märklin sold a zillion copies of the 3072 V100, and it is not even a full-metal loco, but I love it [:p].

UserPostedImage

Many folks don't understand why I love this model, all they see is a common shunter locomotive. But in my mind I see an old V100 on a German Nebenbahn with two or three Silberlinge, winding through the hills somewhere in the '50s.

UserPostedImage

And I happen to think Märklin did a great job capturing the essence of this locomotive.

UserPostedImage

It is a 3072.1 by the way.

Next is another zillion-seller. I wish I could surprise all of you by showing a super-rare 3075.1 (which has the V160 loco number instead of the 216 number), but I'm afraid I have never even seen one, let alone own one. I'm not sure it exists, to be honest. Anyway, I managed to find a super-clean 3075.2 BR216:

UserPostedImage

I also have a mid-'80s 3075.4 that I use on my lay-out but these are so common that there's no point in showing it here.

Last for today is a big steamer Smile.

UserPostedImage

This is a weird loco in my collection, because (a) it's a '70s model so it is too recent and (b) I bought it without a box. But one day I saw it, the price was right, and I fell in love with it. I use it on my lay-outs and it makes a lot of miles. It's a great locomotive: strong, runs well, looks great.

That's it for today!
</font id="Verdana]
Offline steventrain  
#82 Posted : 10 February 2009 15:33:03(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Another nice collectoon, Oscar.
Offline Osterthun  
#83 Posted : 12 February 2009 22:52:22(UTC)
Osterthun

Netherlands   
Hi Oscar (fellow Dutchman), may I join you in this peculiar and nostalgic interest?!

Just speaking of the Class 01 (3048/3148):

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

More can be found on http://www.osterthun.com/4Einsatz/DB~01.147/DB~01.147.htm

Frits Osterthun

Edited by user 12 October 2011 16:34:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Osterthun
Offline Oscar  
#84 Posted : 13 February 2009 19:35:38(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]Great loco, Frits! Looks like it is in fantastic condition!

Time for some freight cars, next time I will continue with locomotives.

UserPostedImage

^---4510.4 from 1969

UserPostedImage

^---4511.2 from 1959

UserPostedImage

^---4512.4 from 1969. This is a lovely model.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

^---4515.3 from 1963. This is a recent buy and a nice find. Not cheap though, but you get what you pay for I guess. It's in perfect shape.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline kimballthurlow  
#85 Posted : 13 February 2009 21:43:05(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Again Oscar, thanks for the continuing story.
It is a lot of work doing the photos, and then loading those pictures to the forum.
I appreciate it.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline seatrains  
#86 Posted : 14 February 2009 00:02:28(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Oscar & Frits, nice photos. This is one of my favorite parts of this forum. (Did I break forum guidelines?) Keep posting.
Thom
Offline WelshMatt  
#87 Posted : 15 February 2009 00:44:31(UTC)
WelshMatt

I really think the old tinplate Silberlinge captured the atmosphere of the real thing, even if they're not to scale.

The closest I have are a pair of 4256 and a 4257, which are probably amongst the last made from that tooling judging by when I bought them. I'd like a 4255 to complete the set but they don't seem to come up that often - obviously everyone else likes these too!
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline Oscar  
#88 Posted : 16 February 2009 19:29:42(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />I really think the old tinplate Silberlinge captured the atmosphere of the real thing, even if they're not to scale.

<font face="Verdana][size=2]I totally agree!</font id="Verdana]
Offline Oscar  
#89 Posted : 16 February 2009 19:37:28(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]More freighters!

UserPostedImage

^---This a nice one, the 4516. Fully metal, including the little rings. Great stuff, has Märklin written all over it.

UserPostedImage

^---And obviously this one really has Märklin written all over it biggrin. It's the 4517 and I always have a freighter running around with this car in it.

UserPostedImage

^---The 4600 freight train conductor car. Its doors can slide open. A very nostalgic little car.

UserPostedImage

^---This is a remarkably heavy, sturdy car. It's the 4601. They don't make 'em like that any more. And if things continue to go as bad with Märklin as they are going now, they won't make anything at all soon. I still can't get used to that idea.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline steventrain  
#90 Posted : 16 February 2009 22:26:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice freights, Oscar.
Offline Oscar  
#91 Posted : 20 February 2009 08:27:29(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]We're getting to the end of it, just 2 or 3 more episodes I guess. More locomotives today, the last locomotive episode!

The 3098 P8. I've lusted after this model but bought it only recently, another occasion where I happened to stumble over an item in pristine condition.

UserPostedImage

It's a first-version 3098.1 from 1967, the first year they were produced. The box code indicates June '67. This loco drives really well, it loves to run. It's traction tyres are not on the rear wheel, but on the forward wheel. That's a bit strange but it has to do with the weight distribution of the model. Many people think this is a plastic loco like the 3003, but it's not. There's a lot of metal on this thing and I like it a lot!

Well folks, that was the last item in my current collection of the 3000 series! There will be more, as I still need to find me quite a few models. The most notable ones that I intend to collect in the next few years are the other NOHAB's from this era, the 3036, the 3011 and (ultimately) the 3015.

Just two weeks ago I went to a shop and bought two new Märklin locomotives. That is a first-time for me, I've never done that before. But there are several models in the current catalogue that I really like and they spark the same kind of emotion in me as the old models. I still had some money left after selling off my huge CD collection and I thought I might as well buy these two.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This 36080 is a thing of beauty. Fully metal, heavy, sturdy, and capturing the essence of the 1:1 model very well indeed. A lovely model.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"Ludmilla", the 36421, closes off my loco collection. As with the V80, it is completely metal, heavy as lead, very nicely detailed and it runs fantastically. This sucker is BIG. It's just as long as a 24-cm coach! Having this loco pull a very long freight train at low speeds is a thing of beauty.

You might notice that both of these locos are from the Hobby range. I could've bought other models, but didn't. These fit into my collection nicely because the 1:1 originals are from the same era. And I want the full-metal thing and a surprising number of new Märklin models are plastic these days.

Next time some more freighters and finally some accessories, and then "Schluss".

</font id="Verdana]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oscar
Offline john black  
#92 Posted : 20 February 2009 21:54:28(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DamonKelly
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Troy Yang
<br />On the other hand, they are pretty common stuff.
There is nothing we have not seen before.
It does get tiring to many of us.

Not to me !!! Keep it up Oscar biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Damon is right, Oscar - please never stop it !!!
Yours is one of the very best topics, here CoolSmile[:p][^]

And then there's also your wonderful collection of catalogs and books [:p][:p][:p]
F.E. - I never knew they made 15 million pieces of M-track per year ... [:0]
Thank you Oscar I do know, now Smile[^]

And for those tired of it - Sesame Street oughta give ya da kick ... [xx(]biggrin[}:)]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Oscar  
#93 Posted : 24 February 2009 08:37:31(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]Next up is the 4605. I rather like this model. It's a baggage car of the Swiss railways.

UserPostedImage

The box code says January 1962. It's a 4605.3. Very nice little car, it has character. Then we get to the 4610, which is a very detailed car for its era. Lovely stuff - I wish I had 30 of these to put my Ludmilla in front of biggrin.

UserPostedImage

Again, the boxcode says January '62 and it is a 4610.3. The next one is a model that can be a bit pricey, depending on the sub version you have.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

It's the 4613.4, boxcode January '65. Definitely not the cheapest freight car I have - I paid 50 euros for it. Never regretted it. This model is completely made of metal (except for the toy cars, which are plastic) which also makes it quite heavy. As with the previous model, I'd love to have 30 of these stringed up [:p]!!

The 4614 is pretty much the only freight car I own that does not have its original box anymore.

UserPostedImage

It's a first-version 4614.1 and originates from the late '50s. I love the level of detail of this model. I've seen photos of goods trains in Germany in the '50s with a bunch of these cars in 'em - very nice indeed.

I'll finish up today with two big ones, the "Tiefladewagen" 4617 and 4618.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The metal frames of these models are impressive. Note that the handrails on the little platform and the brake lever are also 100% metal. That's the way to do it, and they don't make them quite like this anymore.
</font id="Verdana]
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#94 Posted : 24 February 2009 11:11:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You've got a fantastic collection of Marklin there Oscar. Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories.
Offline nevw  
#95 Posted : 24 February 2009 11:32:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Great Oscar, thanks for showing.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline steventrain  
#96 Posted : 24 February 2009 23:12:22(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice collection, You must have more that hundreds of marklin.
Offline Oscar  
#97 Posted : 25 February 2009 09:04:52(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />You've got a fantastic collection of Marklin there Oscar. Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Very nice collection, You must have more that hundreds of marklin.

<font face="Verdana][size=2]Thanks guys biggrin. Actually, my collection is peanuts compared to most "really serious" collectors I know. And when I say peanuts then I mean peanuts in 3 different ways:
-size (# of items)
-worth (money invested)
-historic relevance (unique and/or rare pieces)
Most collectors have 3 or 4 times the number of items, have spent a multiple of what I have spent, and have much more historically unique pieces. Having said that, I feel that I am fortunate to have found the items that I have found, as I love them all. And I have bought most of them for very reasonable prices, which meant that sometimes I have waited for years to find a particular model in very good condition, for a price that I was willing to pay.
</font id="Verdana]
Offline Oscar  
#98 Posted : 02 March 2009 10:13:23(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]
More freighters (about 12 more to go so that's 3 installments, including today - after that, some other Märklin stuff and books, then it's over).

UserPostedImage

^---The 4619 "Schiebedachwagen". It's mostly plastic, but in true Märklin spirit the sliding roofs are metal.

UserPostedImage

^---The 4621 "Großraumkesselwagen". I've always loved this one, even though it's all plastic. It oozes character.

UserPostedImage

^---The handrails, ladders and other details on this 4622 model are all metal! Märklin apparently decided that plastic handrails would be too fragile and did it the way it should be done. A great model!

UserPostedImage

^---The first version of this great freight car, the 4624. With this model, I really have to resist the urge to collect 30 of them. That would look absolutely fantastic behind the 3027 BR44 or Ludmilla! Alas, I force myself not to collect multiple copies of the same model, so a big, fat ore train will remain a fantasy I guess.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline Roman  
#99 Posted : 03 March 2009 06:59:53(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Oscar,
Have you been in my closet again? Seriously. We must collect with the same interests in mind. The only concessions I can think of today are the V80 and Ludmilla as well. Nice photos. Thanks for taking the time. Now put them back neatly when you're done.biggrin
Offline seatrains  
#100 Posted : 03 March 2009 07:47:29(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Oscar, what a wonderful thread. Thanks for the new pix!! I just won on ebay, a Ma #4950, FS freight wagon. Do you have one also? I am also working on my Ma 3011, restoring one I found at a swap meet, in many pieces.
Thom