Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Oscar  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2009 22:07:45(UTC)
Oscar

I spent most of today photographing my models, mostly from an insurance perspective (I need to consider insuring the collection). When I was done, I found that it was big fun to watch those pictures because I noticed details that are not that obvious on the actual model. Given that I love watching photos of the other collectors here, such as Albeto, John and Bill, I thought it might be the same for you guys, so I might as well share the photos I made.

So I'll start at the lowest catalogue number and work my way up, explaining how I acquired the models and telling the story behind it (if there is one).

It will take me quite a while to gradually add all the photos, so you can expect new photos every now and then.

Alrighty, here goes.

About 10 years ago, I was given a collection of used Märklin stuff by a wealthy uncle of mine whose children had grown up, moved up, and did not have the slightest interest in the models. I offered to sell it for him, but he dismissed that notion outright. The collection contained a starter set, rails, various locomotives, coaches and freight cars, as well as some signals, bridges, etc. Most of it was in a very, very, very used and worn-out shape, but I kept most of it and restored some models technically (not optically). That gift is what started me off as a collector.

The lowest catalogue number is a fitting start. It is the 2953 starter set that was part of the collection I was given.

UserPostedImage

I love those old Märklin boxes with the drawings on them, and this big box is just fantastic. This old set contains a small, blue-metal transformer, a small 3029.2 locomotive, two metal 4040.1 coaches and an M-rail oval.

UserPostedImage

The locomotive has been retired. Its axles run through the metal housing (as with all old Märklin locos), and the holes they pass through have been worn out completely (so there is lots of slack in the axles). As a result, the loco "wobbles" over the tracks and has insufficient grip on the rails. The electric motor and the relay are still fine, as is the plastic body (nothing broken or damaged). The transformer and the rails are in fine shape.

These old starter sets are magical and I am glad to own one.

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:53:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Oscar  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2009 22:12:44(UTC)
Oscar

Next up is a Märklin bestseller.

UserPostedImage

The Märklin 3000.5.

What can I say about it? Well, it was part of the gift, it's been used extensively and it still functions. For some reason, it needs massive voltage to run (but it doesn't get hot at all and all the wheels and gears are freely moving)) and it "wobbles" a bit due to play around the axles (as with the 3029.2 in the starter set). It has its own sweet little box and it must have done hundreds and hundreds of miles. It's retired now.

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:53:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oscar
Offline Oscar  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2009 22:19:51(UTC)
Oscar

The next one is one of my favorite models, a true desert-island locomotive.

UserPostedImage

The 3001 (formerly the CE800). This was not part of the gift from my uncle - instead, it was one of the first models I collected myself. I bought it on the internet from an elderly gentleman that I spoke to on the phone after seeing his ad. I wired him the money, he sent me the locomotive. It was perfect. Absolutely, totally perfect.

UserPostedImage

Sadly, the box had been stored in daylight and so the lovely image had faded a bit. Still, I fell in love head over heels with this little locomotive. It's got two of the old '50s lightbulbs at each end that change with the driving direction, and it functions as if new.

I cherish it Smile .

That's it for now. Next up will be the 3003, 3005 and 3016, hopefully tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:53:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline drstapes  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2009 22:59:10(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
lovely to see these classic trains. keep them coming
regards
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline Frostie  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2009 01:59:45(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
Like the caternary !
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline Marty  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2009 02:15:51(UTC)
Marty

United States   
It's amazing how much abuse some models have been subjected to in their lifetimes, and yet keep running...

Thanks for posting the stories and pictures behind your start Smile.
Marty
Offline nevw  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2009 03:25:48(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Thanks Oscar. they are lovely
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2009 03:41:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Very nice Oscar, thanks.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 11 January 2009 05:50:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Oscar,
These models and packages that evoke childhood memories are expecially attractive. They mean a lot to me, although in my case, I had the Fleischmann trainset. I saw a box and a few bits on eBay the other day, and was rather tempted to buy it
Thanks for sharing.
regards
kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Oscar  
#10 Posted : 11 January 2009 13:23:24(UTC)
Oscar

Alrighty, day #2 biggrin. I decided to alternate the locomotives with coaches and freight cars, to prevent having a locomotive-only start and then a non-locomotive ending. In addition, I love coaches and freight cars as much as locomotives!

So today I'll start with the lowest catalogue number for coaches, which is the 4000 (I will treat the 346 series, which are my oldest coaches, by their 40xx number).

UserPostedImage

As you can see, the roof of my 4000 isn't exactly in great shape. It's been on lay-outs all its life, and I still use it regularly. There are tons of these models around so they're not very collectible. But I like them nonetheless: fully metal and with a "Nebenbahn"-vibe that's just great. For the version buffs: it's a 4000.5.

Two other, somewhat related models are the 4002 and 4003.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

There was a beat-up, broken 4002 in the gift from my uncle. I liked the model so much that I collected two of them and a 4003 that were in good shape. I bought them on Ebay (as I did with most of my models) and upon arrival the 4003 turned out to be a 4041, which is the version with taillights. They're very nice models, actually. You can put lighting in them and it will look incredibly nostalgic. Version buffs: it's a 4002.6 and a 4041.5.

Lesson learned the hard way: when you put a slider underneath these coaches for interior lighting, then first remove the spring that aligns the couplings!!! If you don't, as I didn't, current will pass through the spring and it will burn up like a piece of paper. Great fireworks underneath the coach, though. If anybody has some spare springs lying around.... I may need some [V] .

Last but not least for today, the wonderful 4004 and 4005.

UserPostedImage

I bought these on Ebay in a single lot. Upon arrival, they turned out to be flawless. They look stunning when put on display with (say) a 3098 P8 steamer in front of it. With interior lighting, they're irresistible. They don't seem to like tight curves all that much, due to the extra wheel in the middle. Even on C-track they sometimes derail. But I love 'em! Versions: 4004.8 and 4005.8.

Tomorrow I'll do the 3003, 3005 and 3016.

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:54:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 11 January 2009 14:04:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great stuff, Oscar.

I look forward to the next installment!

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mmervine  
#12 Posted : 11 January 2009 15:11:33(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Oscar...these are really nice...thanks for sharing!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline ckreling  
#13 Posted : 11 January 2009 22:51:35(UTC)
ckreling

Thanks for sharing - I have a couple of old favorites I will try to photo for everyone as well.

Look forward to seeing more - thanks
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 11 January 2009 22:55:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good, Oscar.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline drstapes  
#15 Posted : 12 January 2009 01:22:29(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
re your 4005 and 4004 carriages. i love these but as you say i have found them unreliable runners and prone to derailments. Some peole remove the centre wheels to improve this.
regards
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline intruder  
#16 Posted : 12 January 2009 02:23:55(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Very nice, Oscar.

Thanks fro the photos.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Oscar  
#17 Posted : 12 January 2009 09:17:35(UTC)
Oscar

Right. Installment #3.

The 3003.

UserPostedImage

This model was also a part of the gift from my uncle. As with the 3000 and 3029 from the starter kit, it has been heavily used. But this one is technically still in very good condition and it is an excellent runner. I prefer to run it with a few 4000's or 4002/4003 "Dönnerbuchsen" and perhaps one or two closed goods cars. That makes for a very nostalgic combination. The Germans call this type of locomotive the "Steppenpferd" and it is a very pretty little locomotive. By the way, Märklin still makes a model of this loco as part of its current Hobby program:

UserPostedImage

(This is an image from marklin.de) As you can see, the present-day version is a lot more detailed and realistic than my old one. Version buffs: mine is a 3003.3.

Next up is the 3005.

UserPostedImage

I bought this locomotive on Ebay some years ago for very little money, i.e. 35 euros plus shipping. That was an amazing deal. The 3005 just oozes old Märklin vibe, as can be seen in this detail:

UserPostedImage

It's got two old-fashioned lightbulbs at the front, like my 3001 that I discussed above. But unlike the 3001, those of the 3005 give off lots of light when driving whereas those of the 3001 don't shine very bright. The 3005 requires a lot more voltage to run - the white transformer that I use is set around 150, which is a setting that makes most other locos whizzing around the track. Anyway, the 3005 is a fantastic model and I'm really proud of mine. It's a 3005.7, by the way.

Last but least (for today) is the 3016.

UserPostedImage

I prefer the 3016.1 first version, but this 3016.3 and matching 4018.2 were part of the gift, so I kept them. It's a mandatory model on any '60s lay-out and it's great in the dark as well, with that warm interior lighting. It runs very well, but it is one of those models that seems to want to drive at high speeds. It doesn't seem to like slower speeds very much, contrary to its scale 1:1 cousin.

Tomorrow it's back to coaches, with the 346 series and some old Swiss models coming up.

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:54:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline foumaro  
#18 Posted : 12 January 2009 09:46:36(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Thank you very much for the nice photos.Cool
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 12 January 2009 12:48:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Lovely!

This old stuff has such character!
Ray
Offline john black  
#20 Posted : 12 January 2009 15:18:22(UTC)
john black

United States   
Many thanks, Oscar - I like your idea with the "Illustrated Diary" Smile[:p]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline WelshMatt  
#21 Posted : 12 January 2009 23:30:14(UTC)
WelshMatt

You could easily sort the roof out on the 4000. It's metal, so stripping the old paint and giving it a fresh coat wouldn't be hard at all. Just make sure you find the best match you can before removing the original paint.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline Oscar  
#22 Posted : 13 January 2009 08:49:21(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
[id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />You could easily sort the roof out on the 4000. It's metal, so stripping the old paint and giving it a fresh coat wouldn't be hard at all. Just make sure you find the best match you can before removing the original paint.
I've toyed with that idea a number of times, but the puritanic collector in me says that the models need to be original.

Right, installment #4. To keep it varied, we're back to coaches today. Next up are the 4006, 4010 and 4012 coaches, who are better known by their "old" name: the 346 series "Schürzenwagen". For me, these coaches are a bit left-field because (a) not all of them have boxes and I tend to collect only stuff that still has its original box and (b) they're too old, as I only collect stuff that comes in a box with a drawing on it. But I still bought three Schürzenwagen, simply because I love the way they look.

UserPostedImage

This is the usual 4006 or 346/1 coach. It's a lovely green with yellow lettering. I bought it on Ebay once for about 20 euros. It's used and has a lot of minor and not-so-minor scratches, but it has tons of character. When it comes to coaches, I love to watch for the lettering and the small details:

UserPostedImage

Ain't it grand [:p] ? I'd love to have 3 or 4 of those, plus the sleeper car and the baggage car, and run them on a large lay-out. But alas, I'm limiting myself to one of each. Version buffs: it's a 4006.2.

Next is the 4010 or 346/3 sleeper car. This one still has its original box, and I cherish it.

UserPostedImage

It's in decent condition, not nearly as good as some of my 4027's for example, but still decent when you take the age of these things into account. The colours that Märklin used are fantastic, they're very warm and radiant.

UserPostedImage

Version buffs: it's a 4010.3.

Last up for today is the 4012 or 346/4 baggage car. This is another lesson-learned-the-hard-way.

Lesson-learned-the-hard-way #2: if something looks to good to be true, then it usually is.

UserPostedImage

This was one of the first coaches I ever collected myself, shortly after I was given the collection that started me off. It was on Ebay and it was priced very low. The picture in the auction was small and did not show a lot of detail. I put a bid on it of 19,99 and won it. Upon arrival, I had spent another 15 euros on postage and shipping and now I was the not-so-proud owner of a piece of junk. The roof has been crudely re-painted with gray paint, the sides are very rusty and there are Schlieren all over. I kept it as a constant reminder to be alert when you buy stuff on the web. I do intend to have it professionally restored one day, if the cost of that is not too extravagant. Version buffs: it's a 4012.3.

That's it for today. Tomorrow I've got some big locomotives coming up: the legendary 3021 V200 and two freight monsters, i.e. the 3022 E94 and the recently acquired 3027 BR44.

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:55:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tony  
#23 Posted : 13 January 2009 10:20:15(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Hey Oscar thanks for the pics. - nice to see the old stuff and a good idea to get to review your collection like this.

Perhaps one day I hope to also go through all the M stuff I have all over the place (Bahrain, Jhb and Cape Town) and catalogue and photograph each piece - that will be a fun, nostagic project.Smile

Good job.
Regards Tony
Offline Redd  
#24 Posted : 14 January 2009 02:43:49(UTC)
Redd

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Oscar
<br />[font=Verdana][size=2]

SNIP

There was a beat-up, broken 4002 in the gift from my uncle. I liked the model so much that I collected two of them and a 4003 that were in good shape. I bought them on Ebay (as I did with most of my models) and upon arrival the 4003 turned out to be a 4041, which is the version with taillights. They're very nice models, actually. You can put lighting in them and it will look incredibly nostalgic. Version buffs: it's a 4002.6 and a 4041.5.

Lesson learned the hard way: when you put a slider underneath these coaches for interior lighting, then first remove the spring that aligns the couplings!!! If you don't, as I didn't, current will pass through the spring and it will burn up like a piece of paper. Great fireworks underneath the coach, though. If anybody has some spare springs lying around.... I may need some [V] . SNIP

I love your pictures, Oscar, thanks! You take me back to a mis-spent youth when I was stationed in France and Germany between 1960-3 and NEVER bought a single Maerklin item! I did make it to Goeppingen and the Maerklin museum in 1960, though. The rest of the time I was bedding dames and getting drunk up in Eindhoven, Holland, on weekends, with a few French girls in between. To make up for all this fol-de-rol, I seriously began to collect Maerklin after hitting the land of round doorknobs again in 1963 and finding all the Maerklin stuff my Dad had bought for us kids between 1947-51.

After seeing your lovely pictures, I pulled out my green CM800 and the 3000.1. Both are still in fine condition (no "Zinkpest" on the chasses). Next, I found a lighted 4002/329 coach and had a look at the bottom of the lighted 4002. The coupler spring was there, and nothing was burned. I had to scratch my head at that one because of the problem you reported. From what I can see, the spring on your car should not have fried unless there was another problem. I have a few of these 3/8" long springs (not counting the end loops) that you're welcome to. Contact me any way possible to you and they are yours.

Keep those photos coming - my 2004 Koll's is getting outdated. It doesn't show all the variants of the 4002.

Redd
The scenery never changes if you're not the lead dog.
Offline Oscar  
#25 Posted : 14 January 2009 09:39:23(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
[id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Redd
<br />The rest of the time I was bedding dames and getting drunk up in Eindhoven, Holland, on weekends, with a few French girls in between. To make up for all this fol-de-rol...

I dunno if that's as good as collecting Märklin, but it sure sounds like quality time to me biggrin !!

Quote:
<br />Next, I found a lighted 4002/329 coach and had a look at the bottom of the lighted 4002. The coupler spring was there, and nothing was burned. I had to scratch my head at that one because of the problem you reported. From what I can see, the spring on your car should not have fried unless there was another problem. I have a few of these 3/8" long springs (not counting the end loops) that you're welcome to. Contact me any way possible to you and they are yours.

The springs on mine ran from coupling to coupling, alla cross the length of the coach. They're connected to the frame of the coach, i.e. to mass. If you put a slider in the bottom of the that coach, it will be right in the middle of the coach and it will make contact with the spring. That's what caused the fireworks. There are also shorter springs, about the length of penny, that attach to the coupling and to a small metal lip near the axle. Those are the springs I should have put on there, two for each coach, before putting the slider in. If you have some of those long springs lying around, I'll be glad to buy them from you!

Quote:
<br />Keep those photos coming!

You bet!

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:56:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Oscar  
#26 Posted : 14 January 2009 10:07:21(UTC)
Oscar

Alrighty, installment #5. You'll need to be patient after this one, because I'm off on a business trip and won't be back behind my laptop until Sunday or so.

Next up are two fantastic vintage Märklin locomotives. They not at all rare or special. Instead, you could find them on almost every old lay-out and to this day you can get them relatively cheap on Ebay. I'm talking about the 3021 / 3921 V200.

UserPostedImage

This, of course, is the 3021 (version buffs: it's a 3021.12 so one of the later, mass-produced ones). I bought it unused, brand new, for around 50 euros some years back. It is still unused, what the Germans call Ladenneu. In absolutely perfect shape, great stuff!

UserPostedImage

This, however, is another matter. This is the 3921, i.e. the building kit of the 3021. Its subversion is 3921.4, which is pretty much identical to the 3021.6. It was produced in 1961 and 1962. This locomotive was part of the original gift from my uncle. It has done so many miles that the flanges of the wheels on the motor bogie are almost completely worn away (I'm currently looking for spares). Therefore the locomotive tends to lose its traction tyres. Other than that, though, it is still a fantastic runner. It takes on any kind of ramp, no matter how steep. It makes very little noise and its motor sounds very smooth, not at all rough. And I've yet to make a train so long that this old, abused workhorse refuses to pull it.

Tip: when buying an old Märklin locomotive, be mindful of locos that might have been sold as a building kit originally, but which are sold to you as a complete, non-building kit loco. Many building kit locos ended up in non-original boxes. You can tell the building kit locos apart from the splint they used to attach the couplings. If you study the two photos above, you can see the shiney ball end of the splint on the 3921 but not on the 3021.

Next up is the 3022 E94, affectionately known as the German Crocodile.

UserPostedImage

It weighs a ton and as with its 1:1 example, its noses move when the loco goes through a curve. I once saw this particular loco for sale on the internet and made an appointment with the seller to pick it up. When I pressed the doorbell and the guy appeared, all my alarm signals screamed "Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!". The guy was huge, fat, bald-shaven head, tattoos all over, his arms as big as my legs, his car was a pimped up big Mercedes with shaded windows, etc etc. He looked as if he walked right out of an episode of Miami Vice. He turned out to be a rough-but-nice guy. Somehow he seems to fit this locomotive....

Anyway, the 3022 is a great model. It runs fantastically and is very, very strong. A must-have. Version buffs: it is a 3022.3.

Last but not least (for today), my recently acquired and very rare 3027 BR44.

UserPostedImage

As you can read in another discussion in Collector's Corner, I bought it last week from a seasoned collector/trader. At first, it looks like a normal 3027, i.e. beautiful, rugged, strong, fantastic.

UserPostedImage

It appears to be a 3027.3 and comes in a matching 1959 box. These boxes did not yet have styrofoam inside, but stiff carton where the loco fitted into tightly. When I came home, I put the locomotive on display. When doing so, I noticed the number on its tender:

UserPostedImage

I immediately checked the other letterings on the tender. Sure enough, on the left side it said "3027" and on the right side it said "Märklin". Phew - this a 3027.4 with a wrong tender number ( "falsche Tenderaufschrift"). Made only during a brief period in 1959. It's precise worth is anyone's guess - there aren't enough of them around to calculate an average price. As fate will have it, there's one of them on Ebay right now that will end on Friday January 16 2009. We'll see how much it fetches. As for mine, I'll never part with it. As a collector, finding this stuff is the greatest thrill. I don't care about the money I might fetch with it - it's a unique piece and it'll stay right where it is now: on proud display! I've already run it a little bit. Its motor needed some lubrication, but the brushes and all technical parts are in great condition. It runs fantastic and the Telex functions exactly as intended. In short, a great piece.

That's it for now. I'll be gone for a few days.

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:57:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Oscar  
#27 Posted : 18 January 2009 20:57:59(UTC)
Oscar

Time for another one I guess. It's back to coaches today. Next up is the 4017 SBB CFF bagage coach. I will make a little jump in catalogue number here and also include the 4035 restaurant coach and 4038 passenger coach.

These 3 coaches were sold separately back in the day, but also as part of a Swiss Zugpäckung with a 3014 locomotive. The catalogue number of that Zugpäckung was 3214. In my Dutch catalogue of 1965, this train set was offered for f 94.50, i.e. almost one hundred Dutch guilders (appr. 80 Deutschmarks at the last exchange rate before the Euro came). For 1965, that's quite a lot of money!

Anyway, I suspect that my coaches came from a 3214 train set because I bought all 3 coaches at once, in a single buy, and none of them have boxes.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

These are very "simple" coaches in terms of details and features. Nowadays, a mint example with ditto box can fetch considerable prices, but as you can see mine are far from mint. The roofs of the 4035 and 4038 are bad there is a small part missing from the 4035 (I wonder if some of you notice it). I bought them quite a few years ago, and I do not think I would have bought this lot today if had to do it again. I came across them by accident, the price was low, so I bought 'em.

Lesson-learned-the-hard-way #3: be critical. Don't just buy stuff because you don't have it yet or because it is cheap.

I should have just left them and hunted for better ones, but that's how you learn I guess. Version buffs: 4017.8, 4035.1 and 4038.2. The expensive 4015 with doors that can open has so far eluded me.

Next is the first model of a string of coaches that I really, really love: the 4022 - 4033 range. I'll show my 4022's today and save the other ones for a later date.

UserPostedImage

I absolutely love these Cellonscheiben coaches and they're pretty much the only ones I collect (you'll get so see a few amazingly well preserved ones the next time I discuss coaches). As you can see, my 4022's have been outfitted with original Märklin interiors (catalogue number 0225) and ditto passengers (catalogue number 0226).

UserPostedImage

The paintwork, colours and lettering of these coaches were spectacular, although the green ones such as the 4022 and 4023 were a bit less striking than the blue 4027, red 4024 or silver 4043. If you look at the doorhandle on the second image, it looks very 3-dimensional but in fact it is simply painted on.

Version buffs: both the 4022's are 4022.1's.

That's it for now. I'll try to do another one tomorrow to discuss the 3029, 3031 and 3037 locomotives.

Edited by user 25 January 2010 10:57:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bayer  
#28 Posted : 18 January 2009 22:05:12(UTC)
Bayer

Stunning pictures, Oscar

You got a very nice collection of vintage Märklin. I can really understand why you want to document your collection. I'm a doing it myself, but that is mostly because, I think it is funny to take pictures of my trainswink

Can't wait to see more!

Thor
Offline foumaro  
#29 Posted : 19 January 2009 09:45:46(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Thank you for the wonderful photos.biggrin
Offline jvuye  
#30 Posted : 19 January 2009 10:05:38(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Oscar
Nice collection indeed.
Yes on the 4035, there is a small metal plate missing between the roof and the pantograph.
No biggie, you could easliy make one.
If you need a picture and dimensions I'll take pictures of mine so you can reproduce it.
I do like these SBB coaches a lot myself, they were sort of my "Holy Grail" when I was a kid in the 50's...
In the meantime there is a long string of them behind my beloved RE 800...
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline RayF  
#31 Posted : 19 January 2009 19:50:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Nevertheless, Lutz, the pantos on Oscar's model are the right ones for his version of the 3001.

You will notice that on your version, the roof has some raised silver bits that support the older style of pantograph. On Oscar's, as on my own, the roof does not have the raised bits. The newer type of pantograph is the correct one here.

Ray
Ray
Offline FMS  
#32 Posted : 19 January 2009 21:19:10(UTC)
FMS

Oscar, Thank you for sharing. Very nice collection.
Regards
FMS
Offline Marty  
#33 Posted : 19 January 2009 22:10:09(UTC)
Marty

United States   
Oscar,
What a fun thread! Amazing the stories this old stuff brings up...
Informative, too! I have a 3027 handed down from my Dad; I'll have to have a look at the tender, and see what version mine is. Also, I didn't know the 4003/4041 baggage car was offered with tail lights on the opposite end of the cupola. Mine (4041) has the tail lights on the same end as the cupola...
Marty
Offline Ladislas  
#34 Posted : 19 January 2009 22:19:58(UTC)
Ladislas

Thanks for taking the time to share all these beautiful photos!
Offline Webmaster  
#35 Posted : 19 January 2009 22:24:35(UTC)
Webmaster

Up to the 3005, I had to check the cupboard so my own childhood locos & boxes were still here and not in the Netherlands... wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline steventrain  
#36 Posted : 19 January 2009 22:38:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Nice collection, Oscar.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Oscar  
#37 Posted : 20 January 2009 09:06:01(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]I prefer the old-style panto that Lutz showed over the newer ones, but the 3001 I found was in such stunning condition that I just had to buy it.

Some smaller locomotives today, the first one being the 3029.

UserPostedImage

I already had a 3029 as part of the starter set that I started this discussion with, but that one is battered. So at some point I decided to get another one in its original box. Most 3029's were sold as part of a starter set I think, and I do not see these boxes that often (though they are by no means rare). I payed 28 euros for this locomotive, on Ebay and it is pristine. The 3029 is pretty much a "toy" in terms of details, but technically it is as robust as any Märklin. It is a 3029.1, by the way. The box code indicates it was built in 1960, its first year of production.

Next up is a steamer that I have always liked very much, a really handsome locomotive with tons of character. This machine means business Smile.

UserPostedImage

I'm talking about the 3031 and 3032 BR81 (the difference being that one has Telex and the other hasn't).

UserPostedImage

These locomotives are really strong, sturdy and with lots of pulling power. I love them. This one is a 3031.2 by the way. Some years ago I bought a 29187 C-rail starter set for 50 euros, just because it contained a 30321 Delta version of the BR81....

UserPostedImage

...it is basically identical to my old 3031 except it has a decoder and no Telex. This is the one I run on lay-outs all the time. When I bought it, it had been on display on the store for 3 weeks. During all that time, it had been whizzing around the oval day and night, 24*7, at high speeds. Took it home, oiled it, put new brushes in it, it's perfect. That's Märklin.

Last one for today is the first of the Einheitslokomotiven that replaced the old pre-war machines: the 3034 / 3037 BR41. The 3034 is blue, the 3037 is green. Other than that, they're identical.

UserPostedImage

Technically, these machines are top-notch and are fantastic runners. They differ only from the more expensive 3039 and 3040 in the level of detail. The 3037 was also sold as a building kit by the way, with catalogue number 3937. The 3037 in the picture is a 3037.1 in very good condition. It is unused, has a little bit of rust on the handrails though. Bought it on Ebay for 60 euros.

That's it for now. Next time it's back to coaches!

</font id="Verdana]
Offline mjrallare  
#38 Posted : 20 January 2009 10:48:44(UTC)
mjrallare

Very nice locos and waggons Oscar! Smile

/Torbjörn
Offline Oscar  
#39 Posted : 21 January 2009 09:22:50(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]

Next up are some of my favorite models, first of which is the 4024 Speisewagen.

UserPostedImage

What a lovely red it is! It's a 4024.1, by the way. Next is the 4026 D-Zug Bagagewagen.

UserPostedImage

This is a great coach! It is also a first version, i.e. a 4026.1.

Next is one of two coaches that I own which is in stunning condition. The first one is a 4027 D-Zugwagen, the other one a 4043 (which I'll show later on).

UserPostedImage

This coach never leaves the display. I just love that deep blue colour. It's a 4027.1.

No coach, no matter who made it or how detailed it may be, strikes me as much as these old "Cellonscheiben" coaches. In comparison, I think the later versions with plastic windows are ugly. In addition, they don't stand the test of time as well because I have seen countless coaches where the plastic windows had been cracked, deformed or otherwise damaged. I don't even collect these, even though they fall within the period in which I'm interested.

I'll try to show some close-up photos of the 4027 that brings out the fantastic lettering Smile.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Great stuff! I'll finish up with a photo of my 4032.2. It's pretty much the same coach as a 4027, except it has taillights and because it is a second version (.2) it has machinery underneath the carriage.

UserPostedImage

I'm going to be away from home for a few days again for work, so the next installment will be over the weekend. Then it is back to locomotives, and next up are the 3039, 3040 and 4043.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline RayF  
#40 Posted : 21 January 2009 11:17:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
lovely pics, Oscar. You have a great collection of these old coaches.

I have quite a few of the 24cm coaches, but most of mine are the later ones with plastic windows. None of mine show the problems you mention though, and I'm very happy with them.

I also have a 4024 like yours, though it's not in such a good condition. The roof is a bit battered, and the cellon on one side is loose. I need to glue that back in, but not sure what glue to use. When I run it in a train, I borrow the roof from another coach in better condition.

Ray
Ray
Offline Marty  
#41 Posted : 22 January 2009 05:43:11(UTC)
Marty

United States   
Hi Oscar,
I'm with Ray on this one; I have 15 24cm coaches that are all about 30-35 years old, and none of them have cracked plastic windows. Of couse, I have always prized them. At the time, they were so much better than anything else on the market. Although they are not to scale, and don't have close coupling, I wouldn't trade them for anything! I love the deep color finish that the plastic coaches can't match. Thanks for posting the nice pictures of the classics!
Marty
Offline john black  
#42 Posted : 22 January 2009 23:32:36(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />had to check the cupboard so my own childhood locos & boxes
were still here and not in the Netherlands ... wink

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin ... (one never can know)
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Oscar  
#43 Posted : 25 January 2009 12:02:16(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]
Next up are the 3039 E10 and 3040 E40. My 3039 is an oddball in my collection, because it is an '80s example instead of '60s. It caught my eye on Ebay because it was in stunning condition, basically unused, and even a few minutes before the auction was scheduled to end the price was still very low. I put a bid on it just for the heck of it and to my surprise I won it. When it arrived, it turned out to be perfect. It's a 3039.4 by the way.

UserPostedImage

I decided to keep it, because whereas my 3040 shows the first incarnation of these locos, the 3039 shows the last. Märklin put darker panto's on it, for example. The details on these locos are beautiful.

UserPostedImage

As for the 3040, here it is.

UserPostedImage

This one is also in very, very good condition. I do run it sometimes, and it loves to run. It's funny how some locos will give you the impression that they love to run, whereas others seem reluctant to get into motion. This 3040 is a fantastic runner. It's a first version 3040.1.

Next up is another oddball, because its box is not the light-blue variety that I normally collect but instead a "Bunter Karton" from the '70s. I bought this loco for one reason only: I think it is beautiful biggrin. I've always been attracted to some Scandinavian trains, and I remember when this type of loco first emerged on the Swedish rails.

UserPostedImage

I think Märklin's model nicely captures the essence of this locomotive, even though regrettably they decided to make it a plastic model.

UserPostedImage

That's it for today. Speaking of Sweden, next time I'll do the 4030 and 4031 Swedish coaches as well as the 4029.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline Nightowl4933  
#44 Posted : 25 January 2009 15:18:16(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:

The lowest catalogue number is a fitting start. It is the 2953 starter set that was part of the collection I was given.

UserPostedImage

I love those old Märklin boxes with the drawings on them, and this big box is just fantastic. This old set contains a small, blue-metal transformer, a small 3029.2 locomotive, two metal 4040.1 coaches and an M-rail oval.

UserPostedImage

The locomotive has been retired. Its axles run through the metal housing (as with all old Märklin locos), and the holes they pass through have been worn out completely (so there is lots of slack in the axles). As a result, the loco "wobbles" over the tracks and has insufficient grip on the rails. The electric motor and the relay are still fine, as is the plastic body (nothing broken or damaged). The transformer and the rails are in fine shape.

These old starter sets are magical and I am glad to own one.

[/size=2][/font=Verdana]

Have you thought/Would it be possible to put bushes in the axle holes? If the hole is quite big and the axle shafts are OK, you might be able to do it.

Just a thought, as it would be fantastice to see this running again!

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline Nightowl4933  
#45 Posted : 25 January 2009 15:20:18(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Marty
<br />It's amazing how much abuse some models have been subjected to in their lifetimes, and yet keep running...

Thanks for posting the stories and pictures behind your start Smile.

It is Marklin, after all biggrin

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline Oscar  
#46 Posted : 27 January 2009 09:06:51(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nightowl4933
<br />Have you thought/Would it be possible to put bushes in the axle holes? If the hole is quite big and the axle shafts are OK, you might be able to do it.

<font face="Verdana][size=2]Yep, I had a good look at that option. Problem is, the worn axle holes are now a-symmetric in shape: they're worn more on the outside than on the inside. The solution would be to fill up the axle holes completely, with polyester for example, then drill new holes, then put bushes in the holes, then put the axles through the bushes. I don't have the machinery to make those bushings, nor am I capable of drilling 3 axle holes at exactly the right place and exactly perpendicular to the locomotive frame. If you're off by half a millemetre, there will be problems. I guess the best thing do to is buy another frame and use that, but I am reluctant to create "mosaic locos". At least now it is totally original.

Alrighty, time for some more coaches Smile. First up is the 4029 sleeper car. This is a very attractive model, I think.

UserPostedImage

It's got a very nice, deep purple/blue colour that you can drown in biggrin. Mine happens to be in very good shape and the details are lovely.

UserPostedImage

They don't make 'em like that anymore. It's a first-version 4029.1.

Next is a somewhat rare Swedish duo, the 4030/4031. It took me a while to find the right compromise between condition and price for these models, I'd say at least three years. I've lost count of how many times I places bids on 4030's and 4031's on Ebay and lost. Eventually I stumbled onto a pair of them and managed to win it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I love these two coaches! They have a warmth and character to them that only metal can give you. They've been played, and it shows, but they're complete, original and intact. Just some minor scratching here and there - I can live with that. The details are just wonderful:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Both are first version, i.e. .1's. I'm still trying to find the much older 4020/4021 Swedish coaches, but those sell for very high prices. It will take me quite a few years more to hunt those down for an acceptable price. But the chase is better than the catch, isn't it?

I'll finish off for today with my favorite coach by far. From my perspective, this is an absolute masterpiece. Märklin really nailed it on this model. It's the 4043 Silberlinge.

UserPostedImage

I'm going to show a lot more detail of this wonderful coach, because it deservers it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The Silberlinge are regarded as run-of-the-mill models, but I disagree. This 4043.1 is magical and Märklin really did a fantastic job with it.

Next time it's back to locomotives - there are three big, heavy, metal ones coming up: the 3048, 3050 and 3051.

</font id="Verdana]
Offline Oscar  
#47 Posted : 30 January 2009 11:02:37(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]
Next up is the 3048 BR01. This is one heck of a big chunk of metal biggrin.

UserPostedImage

I happened to find one in pristine condition and bought it for a very fair price (sometimes you just get lucky - and as a collector, you need a little bit of luck). It's not the best running loco I have. It's a bit noisy and doesn't run as smoothly as some of my other locomotives. But it's such a nice model to see. It's a 3048.5 by the way.

Next up is a model that I really like, because Märklin somehow managed to nail the sturdy-yet-elegant essence of the real thing. I'm talking about the 3050 Ae6/6.

UserPostedImage

I especially like the details on the roof and on the bogeys. This is a fantastic loco to run as well. It easily takes on the longest trains and it just zzzzoooooooms around the lay-out, very smooth. If you switch off the power, the loco will not just stop but will gradually lose speed. Gotta love that. Version buffs: it is a 3050.1.

Last for today is my recently acquired 3051 NS1200. It's one of my more rare models, because it is the 3051.2 with locomotive number 1211. You don't see those all that much. It's a real trip to finally have found one that I am really happy with, because it is in fantastic shape. That L-shape of its front lights brings back fond memories of seeing these beasts drive in the early '70s.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Märklin's model of this locomotive is not on scale, it's certainly not 1:87. The locomotive is too short. Still, the sturdy character of these machines was really captured in the model.

That's it for today!

</font id="Verdana]
Offline foumaro  
#48 Posted : 30 January 2009 19:00:51(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Thank you again for the nice presentation of these great classics.biggrin
Offline steventrain  
#49 Posted : 30 January 2009 19:42:01(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice! I like the 3048.
Offline kariosls37  
#50 Posted : 30 January 2009 22:35:00(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Great pics
You gotta love those 1200's. just the fact that some are still in service 50 years on shows how great they are.
Keep it up!