Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Writhdar  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2009 02:05:55(UTC)
Writhdar

I've attached a layout plan I am working on and am trying to identify reverse loop situations - is there only one and is it identified correctly?

UserPostedImage

(This is an attempt to do Layout 27 from Marklin's HO layout book 0700 using MTL Z track - with 8993 reversing sections from Marklin used where needed. I've left out elevations, sidings, yards, etc. I am considering MTL track because it appears more durable for my "multiple connect & disconnect" style of layout building. I should add that I used to have an M track layout 20 years ago and really liked the robustness of the M track.)

Thank you.

Dan
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2009 13:34:09(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Agreed. the lower track pointed out, reverses.

/Lars

Offline Writhdar  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2009 16:44:17(UTC)
Writhdar

Lars,

Thank you very much. Just so I'm sure I understand this, if I use the Marklin 8993 three track sections just above the words "reversing loop...", that is coming out left from the straight section of the switch, there will not be any short circuiting problems?

Dan
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2009 21:01:00(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

That's my opinion, yes, but I'm not sure exactly how the 8993 works. It might need a longer section; sometimes the "reverse loop" should be longer than the longest train set.
/Lars
Offline southernkiwi  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2009 22:02:55(UTC)
southernkiwi

The 8993 just requires the 3 track sections. In operation, the engine will stop half way along the 8993 track section, and you will have to turn your controller in the other direction to re-restart the engine. Be aware that while it works well for single engines, it doesn't work so well for large rail cars (i.e. Flying Hamburger or old ICE) They stop and don't restart until manually moved off the 8993 track section. This is probably what Lars is refering too.

Mark.
Z-Gauge: Engines - 5 steam, 7 Diesel, 9 Electric.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2009 22:09:15(UTC)
Breitenfurt

The wiring diagram for the three lengths of track is as shown at http://trains.manvell.or...gDiagram-ReverseLoop.jpg. Note that the vertical lines between the two rails represent the track breaks. Assuming that left rail positive drives the loco from left to right, as a loco enters from the left it will pass the first set of diodes and stop after crossing the double break. The operator then reverses the controller to bring the loco out of the track set and back onto the layout. As far as I can see, you have to go round the reverse loop in the right direction otherwise teh loco will stall before it gets to the double break in the track. You could emulate the 8993 set by using normal rails and double insulating the track joints and soldering the diodes across the continuity breaks thus generated.

Chris.

Edited by user 23 November 2012 23:17:02(UTC)  | Reason: Corrections to URLs abbreviated by forum software.

Offline tekin65  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2009 22:10:26(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Don hi,

I don't think the section you refer to is called a "reverse loop", it is a figure of 8.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Breitenfurt  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2009 22:11:53(UTC)
Breitenfurt

NB: The full stop/period at he end of the URL has tacked itself onto the end of the link. The correct link is:
http://trains.manvell.or...gDiagram-ReverseLoop.jpg .
Offline Breitenfurt  
#9 Posted : 08 January 2009 22:17:55(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Cem.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65I don't think the section you refer to is called a "reverse loop", it is a figure of 8.

The term 'reverse loop' is misleading here. the lower set of rails (three straights) in the box are, functionally, a reverse loop inasmuch as they reverse the direction of travel if you return to the outer loop.

Chris.
Offline Rowan  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2009 00:41:53(UTC)
Rowan

Cool , Chris!

Smile
Offline Writhdar  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2009 00:44:18(UTC)
Writhdar

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I think I will get rid of the switch (and its connection to the "inner loop") on the far left of the layout. The effort (& cost) to eliminate short circuit possibilities by using 8993 or soldering diodes for a relatively minor aspect of the layout seems excessive. Again, thank you all.

Dan
Offline Nightowl4933  
#12 Posted : 11 January 2009 22:34:53(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
To be honest, if you do want a reverse loop I wouldn't recommend using the 8993 set - using the relay system is a lot better and you don't have to 'bump' start the loco's, making it a much more realistic option. The relays can be difficult to locate, but they're out there - have a look on eBay.

But that's just my opinion.

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline Writhdar  
#13 Posted : 12 January 2009 02:28:26(UTC)
Writhdar

Pete,

Are these the Atlas Snap Relay's? or their Controllers? or both?

Thank you Dan
Offline ozzman  
#14 Posted : 12 January 2009 03:45:03(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Dan, Pete is referring to the 8947 polarity reversing relay. It's a little gizmo that reverses the polarity in the tracks. To make it work you also have to have one of the three Marklin circuit track sections (8529, 8539 or 8589) as part of a reversing loop. They have a little toggle that is tripped by a passing loco and send a pulse to the 8947 to make it reverse the polarity. This solution involves a lot more wiring but it's far more elegant, as Pete points out.

I suppose it's possible that an Atlas relay might do the job, but you'd have to be very careful with voltages etc (you can tell how much I know about electricity!). And if you've got any locos still within warranty and one of them gets fried by your Atlas thingy, well, tough....
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Breitenfurt  
#15 Posted : 12 January 2009 14:22:52(UTC)
Breitenfurt

There seems to be two topics on this subject, not sure why. Anyway, here is my post from the other topic. The second link shows how the relay fits into the scheme of things.

NB. If you did go for the relay option, you would have to remember that the controller now acts as a cab control (as in 3-rail systems) and not as a direction control. I see this as a possible source of confusion for all but the simplest layouts with only one or two locos running.

The two images I posted are:
http://trains.manvell.org.uk/misc/ReverseLoop1.jpg
and
http://trains.manvell.org.uk/misc/ReverseLoop2.jpg

All the best,
Chris.
Offline Writhdar  
#16 Posted : 12 January 2009 16:33:30(UTC)
Writhdar

My apologies for starting a second thread. I had started the first thread with a question about the dimensions for 8993 and started this thread with a question about identifying polarity conflicts in a proposed layout. In the future, I'll keep similar topics within the same thread.

Gary - thank you for the information about 8947.

Dan

Offline Nightowl4933  
#17 Posted : 12 January 2009 22:25:40(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Dan, Ozzman explained it perfectly and the second diagram Chris posted does show how it works - but it does look complicated. If you do use this method you would need to ensure the supply to the relay is within spec, but the track voltage is less critical - as long as your not running more than about 16v, I would suggest. The control supply is independent of the track supply. I'm not sure why Marklin stopped selling the relay's, perhaps the wiring method isn't really conducive to anything other than a permanent layout!
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline Breitenfurt  
#18 Posted : 13 January 2009 01:30:18(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Well Night Owl, my guess is that they just didn't sell. Looking at Marklin's circuit diagram didn't help as it is appalling badly drawn and totally ambiguous. However, as Dan has decided to abandon the 'reverse loop' concept I am not going to waste time investigating further.

Chris.
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#19 Posted : 21 October 2010 17:20:55(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
The loop in itself wasn't a bad idea, since it is always nice to have a place where the trains can change direction on the layout. But I think it needs to be a little longer to enable automatic reverse loop operation. The Märklin 8993 track set allows only one direction of travel, which makes the loop less useful.

Another solution is to isolate the "loop track" from the main power circuits, and connect it through a 2-pole momentary switch button. You have to press the button to get power in the track and when you are in the reverse loop you set the other power circuit in the desired direction and speed before you enter it. Then you can have another button (or even better a 2-way switch) so you connect the loop track to the second track. It does the same job as a solution with relays, but you need less parts and it is probably more reliable. Well, of course there is always a risk that someone pushes the button the wrong way and get a shortcut, but that's what we use fuses for...
K-G / H0 and Z model train user