Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline al_pignolo  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2008 11:39:31(UTC)
al_pignolo

Hi friends!
I have an italian version of the well-known Kof: #36806 (FS 213 class).

UserPostedImage

I have no problems with zinkpest, but another problem: some times ago, a gear got broken. I ordered the spare part,(the complete axle #322102) and changed it. It took a lot of time to have it because it was sold out.
But after a few weeks of working, the new gear broke eactly the same way!!! In the picture you can see the crack in the gear.

UserPostedImage

The spare part is sold out again (yellow light in Marklin site). Now my suspect is that this model has some bug in the project, so the gear is too fragile and often cracks. Do you have any experirence of mechanical problems with Kof?

Pietro
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2008 12:31:42(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Pietro,

Unfortunately, your problem looks very familiar to me, I've found a similar issue in several other Köffs (36800 and 36821) before. In both cases, the gear has been replaced under warranty and the troubles did not surface again. Therefore, I would conclude that the problem was solved with the new gear, which makes me wonder; where did you get your spare part? (Could it possibly have been one of the "old" series of faulty gears?)
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline al_pignolo  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2008 19:08:40(UTC)
al_pignolo

I don't know... I ordered the spare part from a shop in Germany. but I'll try to change it again.

Even if there are no safety problems, I think M* should warn customers if they make some defective model and give the possibility to replace the part for free before the locomotive "dies" (such as it happens for cars).
I remember also that in some version of 103 the decoder got fried without explaination... these troubles are very sad for the customer!

This is what Roco did some years ago with their E412 (Roco #43287): the cardanic axle was defective and they sent a new (modified) one for free to every customer that asked it.

Pietro
Offline Davy  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2008 21:20:36(UTC)
Davy

I have a mfx accukof which probarly has the same problem.

But I still have warranty.

So Marklin my fixed it.

M-track with a CS2.
Offline pa-pauls  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2008 22:38:04(UTC)
pa-pauls

Thank's for letting us know Pietro Smile

I have 4 Köf's so I must have a closer look tomorrow...[:I]
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline 2fingers  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2008 00:20:15(UTC)
2fingers

My kof went back a couple weeks ago to the dealer and he said it was the third one with the same problem.

HANS
Offline al_pignolo  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2008 20:31:09(UTC)
al_pignolo

Yesterday I wrote an email to Maerklin customer service explaining the problem. They ansvered (very quickly! Smile ) that they don't know any defect about gears of this model!!! [:0]

I don't know whether they really ignore that many of their kof's (HOW many?) can't run without cracking their gears OR ....
But I am VERY surprised!!!

Now I wonder how much this defect is widespread.
How many of us run kof's in their layout without problems? How many had problems with gears?

Pietro
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2008 22:11:05(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Pietro,

Perhaps this helps answering your question a little, working at a shop, I've sold numerous (perhaps over 50) Köf's of various liveries, and two of those coped with this issue. Which is, given the high number sold, still not a problem that a complete series seems to have.
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline john black  
#9 Posted : 09 December 2008 22:11:28(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by al_pignolo
<br />M customer service ... don't know any defect about gears of this model !!! [:0]

Hi Pietro Smile,

reading this topic one comes to think they're playing the goat with you [xx(]
If you have insured private risks get your lawyer and give 'em hell !!! [}:)][}:)][}:)]
In the end their stubborness might cost them way more than a new Köf ...
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline WelshMatt  
#10 Posted : 10 December 2008 01:09:34(UTC)
WelshMatt

This is a common and therefore inexcusable fault with many locos from various manufacturers. The hole in the centre of the gear is not quite big enough, leading to the plastic being stressed when it is pressed onto the axle and the gear eventually splitting. The problem is an old one for model manufacturers and should have been solved by now.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline laalves  
#11 Posted : 10 December 2008 02:07:49(UTC)
laalves

Brawa's Köf have no such problems, having full metal transmissions except for the first pinion.
Offline al_pignolo  
#12 Posted : 11 December 2008 23:40:25(UTC)
al_pignolo

Thank you Sander.

A defect rate of two models every 50 (or more) means that the model IS defective, to me.

Besides, consider that a lot of customers buy trains but don't have a layout, so I think we could estimate more than 5% of defective models. This is much more than the value usually accepted for a mechanical item.

John, I wait for their answer (I wrote a second email).
But I sure will buy much more Roco and Brawa from now on, this will anyhow cost them more than a kof!

Pietro
Offline john black  
#13 Posted : 11 December 2008 23:48:47(UTC)
john black

United States   
Smile
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide