Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MARKLIN LOVER  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2008 01:16:05(UTC)
MARKLIN LOVER

Ok here is my dilema, i have both these smoke generators and feel that the 7226 smokes better and smoother than the 72270, now i have the 7226 installed in my 37883 steam Loco, and the 72270 installed in my 39020 Steam loco, now of course installing them is different for each, one goes thru the top, the other (72270) from the bottom. Well when i first installed the 72270 it barely smoked, i then removed it and straighten the little metal pin so that it made better contact with the metal part of the loco somewhat, and now it smokes great but the smoke barely last around one loop before it appears as though it has ran out, it appears the the 7226 holds more fluid than the 72270, also these smoke generators are a tight fit, and i hate pulling them out and refitting as it is a P.I.A holding the little loco, since i dont want to break anything. One last thing, on the 72270 how much upwards do i have to push it and know it is sitting correctly? Thanks in advance, and if anyone has any tips please feel free to help me out, i am sorry for my dumb question!
Keep em on the rails!

Ivan!
Offline tekin65  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2008 07:48:14(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hello Ivan,

The smoke generator business is more mystic powers than science biggrin

From time to time I have the same problems. One thing I noticed, 72270 tend to work better in digital locos, I think this is due to constant and correct current from the decoder.

As you say 7226 produce more smoke, I think this is due to their wider outlets. But I'm quite happy with the performance of 72270. Their capacity in fact is quite high - next time try 10+ drops.

I install them as to either they contact the body (but the top not portruding), or they are level with the top of the chimney.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline banco  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2008 08:38:13(UTC)
banco

I have had similar experiences with smoke generators : I have had ones which smoke for a good time and ones that last for one 30 seconds or so. Upon careful examination of the ones that last for only a short time I have concluded the following. The ones that smoke for a short time have some damage or fault with the central tube. In a normal situation the tube warms throughout most of its length and thus smokes until the oil is near the bottom of the brass outer tube. In the short smokers, the central tube , only the top part warms and hence when the oil is used up to half way down stops. So much for the observations....... The cure..............That I still have to work out............
C track,6021,large digital loft layout modelled in the legendary European land of "Moresnet"
Offline MARKLIN LOVER  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2008 17:15:37(UTC)
MARKLIN LOVER

Hey guys thanks so much for your answers, Tekin i can only put 3 drops the most, after that it will over flow, in other words at 3 drops it is at the very top, am i doing something wrong?, and you are correct the 7226 is wider, easier to install, and smokes smoother, i will attempt to take out the 72270 look at it and reinsert and see if i can get more fluid in there, again thanks soooooo much, i am happy at how much it smokes but it goes away pretty quickly, i say maybe after like 20 seconds, so maybe its just me!
Keep em on the rails!

Ivan!
Offline tekin65  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2008 20:38:30(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MARKLIN LOVER
<br />i say maybe after like 20 seconds, so maybe its just me!

Hi,

It should last way longer than that! You might try another one, unfortunately is it just mystic powers that makes them work - no joking.

What I do is just stick a syringe needle on top of the smoke oil bottle and count the drops. 72270 normally takes about 8-12 drops.

Have you ever tried to stir the fluid with thin wire ... might help - just place the loco on track, put in oil, turn on the smoke and stir the fluid; there might be an air bubble stuck inside ...

Oh, one last thing: what colour is the bottom of the generator? If it is not red then it is not for digital. I've had a regular one (green) and it just broke leaking fluid.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline MARKLIN LOVER  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2008 21:16:54(UTC)
MARKLIN LOVER

Yes the bottom is red, for sure, i will try and put the needle thru it and see, if that dont work i will buy another and try a different one, again i will keep you posted, i am at work, and wont get to it till Monday! Again thanks a million!
Keep em on the rails!

Ivan!
Offline tekin65  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2008 21:50:44(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
No problem ... would be happy if it will work!

Drop us a note!

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline MARKLIN LOVER  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2008 22:24:48(UTC)
MARKLIN LOVER

Ok i figured it all out, i went out and bought (2) 72270 generators put a new one in and then it still would not smoke, well i took the loco apart and then blew air from an air can and dried it up, i then stuck it back in and waited about 15 seconds and then put 3 -4 drops and bingo now it smokes like the 7226 i was putting in the drops before it kinda of warmed up and then it was too many drops, i now know that i should wait about 10 seconds and then add the drops and she smokes like a chimney biggrin i am now happy again, both my BR 18.3 and BR 64 are also stoked, no pun intended........lol!
Keep em on the rails!

Ivan!
Offline al_pignolo  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2008 23:32:43(UTC)
al_pignolo

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65

Oh, one last thing: what colour is the bottom of the generator? If it is not red then it is not for digital. I've had a regular one (green) and it just broke leaking fluid.

Cem.

Hi Cem!

I didn't know this.
I have a 7226 in my BR50 (#3315) converted Digital with lokpilot, but it doesn't work good. It lasts few seconds. It has the green bottom. Do you think I would have better results with 72270?

Pietro
Offline MARKLIN LOVER  
#10 Posted : 16 December 2008 00:43:40(UTC)
MARKLIN LOVER

Al the 7226 and the 72270 are totally different, one goes in from the bottom the other from the top, i doubt you can mix and match them as they are different, hope this helps!
Keep em on the rails!

Ivan!