Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2008 01:58:48(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi all,

Has anyone already used this transformer to power the 6021 Control Unit? If so, will the "new" plugs (Märklin article 71411) fit into the two sockets on the back side of the 60055 transformer?

Given that, as usual, the instruction manuals by Märklin are "as clear as mud", I suppose that the feeder cables from the track will have to be connected to the back of the control unit, and then the control unit will need to be connected up with the 60055 transformer, as was the case with the older transformers.

Thank you in advance for your enlightment.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline sudibarba  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2008 04:44:07(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Armando
<br />Hi all,

Has anyone already used this transformer to power the 6021 Control Unit? If so, will the "new" plugs (Märklin article 71411) fit into the two sockets on the back side of the 60055 transformer?

Given that, as usual, the instruction manuals by Märklin are "as clear as mud", I suppose that the feeder cables from the track will have to be connected to the back of the control unit, and then the control unit will need to be connected up with the 60055 transformer, as was the case with the older transformers.

Thank you in advance for your enlightment.

I didn't think that the 6021 could utilize the additional power of the 60va transformer. At any rate, you need the 610718 transformer cable (should have been supplied with the transformer)and cut off the end that goes to the CS1. The plug on the other end will fit into the transformer and you need to take the two bare wires you have created at the other end to the 6021.I guess you have to be concerned about polarity but don't know for sure. Those plugs do not fit.

Hopefully I have understood your question. However, as I said before, I don't think the new transformer will give added power through the 6021.
Eric
Offline Armando  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2008 06:09:24(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sudibarba

I didn't think that the 6021 could utilize the additional power of the 60va transformer. I don't think the new transformer will give added power through the 6021.
Eric

Thanks Eric. Märklin confirmed that it is possible to use the new transformer with the control unit. It might not provide extra power to the control unit, though. There is an extra two-pronged plug that can be purchased to connect the cables. I've already ordered it.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline sudibarba  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2008 07:13:23(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sudibarba

I didn't think that the 6021 could utilize the additional power of the 60va transformer. I don't think the new transformer will give added power through the 6021.
Eric

Thanks Eric. Märklin confirmed that it is possible to use the new transformer with the control unit. It might not provide extra power to the control unit, though. There is an extra two-pronged plug that can be purchased to connect the cables. I've already ordered it.

Good. It must be simply the wire that came with the transformer with bare leads to the 6021.
Eric
Offline Renato  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2008 12:52:30(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Armando and all,

I agree with you when you say "the instruction manuals by Märklin are "as clear as mud"", infact as you know, the output of the transformer is Alternating Current (AC) and Marklin's instructions say to connect the yellow wire to the right connection of the special plug inserted in the transformer socket and the brown cable to the left connection (right and left connections having the transformer socket with the special plug inserted in it).

Everybody knows that the two wires have not to be mixed up otherwise a short circuit occurs, but I do not understand why to write such an imperative instruction. I think this is only for make order in the electical connections.

Any other suggestion?

Bye

Renato
Offline Armando  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2008 18:08:33(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Renato
<br />Hi Armando and all,

I agree with you when you say "the instruction manuals by Märklin are "as clear as mud"", infact as you know, the output of the transformer is Alternating Current (AC) and Marklin's instructions say to connect the yellow wire to the right connection of the special plug inserted in the transformer socket and the brown cable to the left connection (right and left connections having the transformer socket with the special plug inserted in it).

Everybody knows that the two wires have not to be mixed up otherwise a short circuit occurs, but I do not understand why to write such an imperative instruction. I think this is only for make order in the electical connections.

Any other suggestion?

Bye

Renato

Hi Renato,

I usually find the manuals confusing and threadbare. This transformer manual may well be the most confusing of all. I have not yet attempted to connect it up because I'm still waiting for the two-pronged jack. But upon reading your comment, I realize that I have to be very careful, as there seems to be no colour-coded jacks on the transformer's back.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline hemau  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2008 12:09:05(UTC)
hemau

As far as I can judge you can connect any two-wire cable to the plug that is supplied with the 60055 transformer, so no need to buy extra connector (I have the 230 V version). I suppose the 6021 has a yellow and brown input (just like my 66045's have)? If you do not connect this transformer to any other ground, the polarity does not matter either.
Regards, Henk.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline Renato  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2008 19:07:23(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />All correct, Henk!

The transformers #60055 (or #60052) come with a black connector plug for any cables to be connected (actually screwed) there; regardless whether it's the special ones for the MS/CS or simply two wires for the 6021.

Yes, there is a recommendation on which side to connect the brown (or black/white) and yellow (or black) cables; just for consistency and potential phase alignment. The figures and instructions (on pg. 16) are crisp clear.

The plug has part #610662 and has nothing to do with the single pin Märklin plugs #71411 etc.

I agree with you, but if you insert the transformer plug by rotating 180 degrees in the socket, you have the AC polarity inverted.
Do you remember the Marklin recommendation on the connections of two transformers for feeding two electrical isolated circuit tracks (put a lamp across the isolating point connected on the center rail of the two isolated tracks, put the two transformer knobs in a intermediate position and if the lamp burns, insert the plug of only one of the two transformers rotating it by 180 degrees in the socket).
In digital systems the AC voltage is rectified into DC voltage and it does not matter the plug insertion of the transformers (in any case if you have boosters you must isolate the circuit tracks and if you use also the slider rockers you are 100 % sure you will not have problems).

Bye

Renato
Offline hemau  
#9 Posted : 20 November 2008 19:32:01(UTC)
hemau

Very correct Renato! All problems solved for Armando, I hope.
Regards, Henk
Offline Armando  
#10 Posted : 20 November 2008 20:37:02(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hemau
<br />Very correct Renato! All problems solved for Armando, I hope.
Regards, Henk

Thanks, I have already ordered the part, and will test a connection as soon as I get it.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline hemau  
#11 Posted : 21 November 2008 21:35:38(UTC)
hemau

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hemau
<br />Very correct Renato! All problems solved for Armando, I hope.
Regards, Henk

Thanks, I have already ordered the part, and will test a connection as soon as I get it.

Still wonder what part you are missing. A connecting plug (part nr. 610 662) should have been supplied with the transformer and once you have that, you can connect anything.