Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Brakepad  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2008 15:14:51(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
Hi group,

Recently I've received a Hamo-lok as a present. The person who gave it to me knew that I liked Märklin trains, but, knowing nothing about them, purchased a Märklin lok in eBay...and the fact is that this is a Hamo-lok.

I'd like to convert it to 3-rail, and I'd like to know if anybody has tried to.

What should I do? I assume that I should install the pickup shoe, but, what about wheels?

Thanks.

check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Brakepad
Offline Pianne  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2008 18:29:28(UTC)
Pianne

Which locomotive did you get? It's nice to get train related items from people who have no interest in them themselves, I think it shows that they appreciate your hobby. Downside is things don't always fit the system/era/country you focus on. Oh well, I guess it's always the thought that counts, eh?

Now back to the conversion at hand:

Yes, the pickup shoe seems like a good place to startwink
On the Hamo locs I've seen, there is a wheel-pickup slider mounted where the 3-rail pickup should be. You can simply remove this and install a regular pickup shoe instead.

You will ofcourse need to install a decoder for DC motors, as the HAMO motor has a permanent magnet. Power comes from the replaced pickupshoe wire and the wheels/chassis.

About the wheels: As the HAMO wheels are insulated and you removed the wheel slider, return current will only go through the wheels on one side of the loco. This should work but it's no good for track occupancy tracks and, naturally, is not as reliable as using all wheels to conduct current to the rails. There are several possibilities here:
1- If possible, turn half the axles around. This way the insulated wheels are not all on the same side of the loco. This will solve the track occupancy issue, but still only half the wheels conduct current.
2- Change the wheels to AC sets. This is ofcourse the best solution but requires ordering part which are not always readily availiable.
3- Connect the insulated wheels yourself. Either by using a wheel slider (original?) and connecting it to the chassis or by directly connecting the wheels themselves (using current-conducting paint, for example).

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Pieter-Jan
Bruges, Belgium.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pianne
Offline MärCo  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2008 19:12:25(UTC)
MärCo

I have rebuilded my Swiss Re 4/4 IV which was original a Hamo modell. I retained the DC wheels, and in front mass is picked up from the right, and behind from the left. I have connected the mass pickup's inside, so railway crossing and track occupancy still works.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MärCo
Offline Brakepad  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2008 20:43:47(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
Many thanks, Pieter & Marco.

Lok is a 8356 krok. I wasn't thinking of replacing axles (which of course is for sure the best solution), I think that current pickup only from one side will be OK as I do not have (by the moment) track occupancy detection devices, and locomotive has a lot of axles. And a Lokpilot 3.0 will fit, I think.

But, what about the distance between wheels? do you think it will be a problem?
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Brakepad
Offline MärCo  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2008 22:09:37(UTC)
MärCo

I run my SBB Re 4/4 IV on M and C tracks, no problem. I did not change the space between the wheels.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MärCo
Offline nevw  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2008 02:39:44(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I have converted a V200 and a V216 from Hammo. No problems. however BE CAREFUL with the lights. Hammo typically used Chassis Earth return. keep them and you will fry the decoder.

You will need the inserts and 2 prong/wired lamps.
I have used ESU Lokpilot 3 locksound 3 and alo ESU MFX with no problems.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline mvd71  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2008 04:59:01(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Its very easy to convert a Hamo loco to 3 rail.

1. Bridge the the two rail pick ups to maximise earthing.
2. Fit pick up shoe from marklin equivilant loco.
3. Fit Lokpilot decoder as per Lokpilot instructions for three rail
DC motored loco.

All the hamo conversions I have done have been that easy, and they have all run well.

Cheers.....

Mike.

Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71