Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gor  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2008 04:21:30(UTC)
gor

Sorry if my english is not correct(its not my main language)

When i'm checking other forums, there's so many negative vibes about 3 track system, mostly because of the unrealistic look, price and that it's not so flexible as other systems.

Also if i'm looking many big layouts, its not marklin.....WHY?

I would like US to have a little debate, and arguments <u>FOR</u> why we are using MARKLIN, and 3 track system, even its more expencive, less flexible, and the not so realistic look.

best regards
Gor

marklin c-track user
Best regards
Gor

Marklin c-track, ms
Offline countrylink  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2008 04:34:43(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
It's simple really you can't go past Marklin for quality
and relability
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2008 04:47:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
and with 3 rail you do not need to worry about creating loops etc that would otherwise short out a 2 rail system.
plus an additional rail to provide extra wheel contact.

When someone was viewing my layout some months ago as they walked out they said that their childhood layout had been 3 rail and so I said so was mine, they turned around to come back and look again - after some 20 minutes looking at it they had not even seen the center studs (I use K-track). So some of the attitude based on visual looks is just bull. I have seen many a 2-rail layout that looks like sh-tty toys and they want to complain about some center studs...

(Posted with Chrome!)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Macfire  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2008 04:50:27(UTC)
Macfire

Hi Gor
Welcome to the forum.

Yep - Can't beat 3 rail.

Dale's comments summed up the situation nicely.

Regards
Tony
(Chrome Dome)
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline Westfield Depot  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2008 04:52:38(UTC)
Westfield Depot

Gor,

In the US, I think many model railroaders are becoming increasingly concerned with exact prototypical correctness. They would refer to Marklin as a "toy train" and hence not worthy of their interest. I understand where this is coming from. The level of detail on many plastic locomotives and cars these days is extraordinary - even exceeding brass. Many manufacturers are producing cars with details specific to a given road not just one generic car painted for a multitude of roads. This allows modelers to focus on a specific road in a specific time period and really get the smallest details right. I meet a lot of "rivet counters" out there. Marklin is just not a rivet counters brand.

I still think there's a place for a solid, reliable toy train. And, I have no problem calling Marklin the best toy train in the world. What attracted me to Marklin was that I can turn off the rivet counter side of my brain and just enjoy running trains. Enjoying running trains requires quality and, for the most part, Marklin's quality is the best of the mass manufacturers. How many other makers can you buy an old engine 30, 40 or 50 years old, add some oil, and presto you have a fine running train? Not many.

Price is an issue. Prototypical modelers would argue that you could buy brass for the price of some Marklin engines. True, but they are missing the point. The point is playing fun. Sometimes that's all I want. No worries, just fun.

Chris
Chris
Modeling Märklin Epoch I K.W.St.E. in Ohio USA
Offline rschaffr  
#6 Posted : 03 September 2008 05:05:37(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Many(MANY) moons ago when I was a 2-railer, I used to cut my own ties our of balsa wood, and handspike my rails with the ends soldered together (no rail joiners). There are many who really like that level of achievement but for me at my age I really like being able to construct a really nice layout without worries of reverse loop connectivity and turnout polarity. I really don't mind the pukos (in fact on modern K and C track they are virtually invisible unless you really look as Dale and others have stated) and I don't mind the 1:100 and 1:93 length coaches. If that makes it a toy in some others eyes, that, in my opinion, is their problem, not mine. I love my Marklin trains.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline lokbraz  
#7 Posted : 03 September 2008 05:46:49(UTC)
lokbraz

IMHO

Marklin= (mostly) reliable, sturdy (mostly well built), (mostly) straight forward digital, good assortment of german trains and pricey.

DC/DCC/2 rail= Very large offer ( the other 99% of brands). You can find model trains of brazilian, russian, chinese and even finish prototypes. Quality varies greatly, but mostly bellow M* with exceptions to modern brass. Digital systems in DC is most universally DCC. You may find some incompatibility among various brands. Perhaps not much with newer products. Cheaper.

I would first choose what country and era I want to model and them make a choice 3 or 2 rails or have them both biggrin.

Ed
My ancestors came from the land of rising sun. I was born in South America. Spent time in Europe. Now I live in California.
So, I am a builder of south american brass models. I read about the railroads on the Sierras. But I play with Marklin and have best time with my Marklin peers. wink
Offline gor  
#8 Posted : 03 September 2008 05:50:47(UTC)
gor

Nice to hear guys!

Best regards
Gor

Marklin c-track, ms
Offline gachar001  
#9 Posted : 03 September 2008 06:20:39(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Nothing to beat German reliability and quality of construction.
I visited a hobby store here in Atlanta that carries the typical American brands and they looked like crap. Fit and finish and the general quality was pathetic. I wouldn't touch them.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline rhtastro  
#10 Posted : 03 September 2008 06:23:54(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
Interesting topic, since I've used 2R systems in the past. The newest 2R are very good and reliable in many cases, but not all. It's been well stated above and the US market in general is 2r, probably 95% at least. It's huge and very diversified.

Local modelers don't scoff at Marklin. It's just foreign to them. They already have digital locos in 2R with great detail in construction and they are much cheaper in price. Also most use American models and the number of those available is amazing. Take a look at the Walthers catalog online. Marklin has very few models for these people and now almost none at all.

Marklin is thought to be oddball and unusual but not necessarliy undesirable. It's mainly considered "European" and it is. I know a number of 2R roaders and they don't hate Marklin, they just don't need it and the higher prices.

I've been on a North American forum for quite a while and love to tout the reliability of Marklin, but it hardly ever gets a response. 2R is less reliable by nature and is more susceptible to rail problems. ie: dirt, dust, grease, etc. I have found M to be far superior in that respect and it hardly ever stalls or fails due to those factors. It's the 3R system. It's just better.

I originally got into M through Z gauge in the early 70's since I had very little space for a layout. My first system was on the kitchen counter, then a small board, then a larger board, then an added room on the house with a really big board for Z, 5x9 feet.

That's almost a whole house full for HO by comparison. I easily ran 7 trains at once for visitors. No problem. Of course it is 2R and has all those liabilities.

Sometime later I succumbed to HO and used 2R for a while. I became disillusioned, however, with the quality of much of the stock. In those days the detail was lacking somewhat. But now with DCC systems available and much better quality they are really good and very competitive with M over here.

I went to M HO a few years ago just for kicks and don't regret it a bit. It's extremely reliable and well designed and manufactured but a bit pricey.

I was able to find good older stock on eBay from Europe. I particularly like the tin plate of the 90s' although the newer plastic models have great detail and are compatible. Things I like about M over the 2R would be as follows: They work anytime I turn them on. C-track is great, maybe not realistic, but very well made. I'm not a stickler for realism. I have no track problems or switch problems. It works and they work. I rarely have to clean any track pieces.

The detail is good enough and the locos are excellent and run every time I need them. The sound systems in the digital are good and realistic. In that respect, DCC has good sound too and even more types of sounds than does M.

Overall I like M for it's reliability and quality. What more can I say. I think that 3R is the way to go, but I'm in the minority around here. Marklin is considered a bit quirky but that fits me anyway. I've never been conventional, whether in politics, religion or model trains. I've been a scientist all my life and that probably says it all. biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Cheers, Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline trainbuff  
#11 Posted : 03 September 2008 07:23:10(UTC)
trainbuff

I often see real rails where years of oil stains on the middle of the ties look like pukos. Pukos should be a feature. :)
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 03 September 2008 09:17:00(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I hate it when I hear people referring to Märklin trains as 'toys'. IMHO they are not toys, they are precision models to be admired, looked after, appreciated, and run on real layouts.

The 3 rail AC system is technically superior, and the quality of Märklin models is second to none - from what others say only Brawa and Hag match in the quality stakes. We don't have a large range of MRR available in NZ, mostly Hornby is available new, and I would not rate Hornby anywhere near the quality of Märklin. It's a shame that Märklin is not more widely available here than it is - certainly availability is way down on what it was when I was a child.
Offline mmrcnzjohn  
#13 Posted : 03 September 2008 11:07:53(UTC)
mmrcnzjohn

New Zealand   
Peoples perceptions will always vary.

Gotta love those NMRA fans weighing their box cars and adding weight so they hit the NMRA standard. Why the manufacturer does not do it in the first place amazes me and then say our stuff is expensive!

Gotta love those OO guys who use narrow gauge track with standard gauge bodies, and say 3 rail is toy like!

Gotta respect the scratch builders who spend months building something, then months geting it to work, and would never consider buying something you can put straight on the rails and run it.

Yep European modellers have it hard.

John
Offline mvd71  
#14 Posted : 03 September 2008 12:01:42(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Possibly many of the 2r modellers critise marklin because they secrectly know its superior to their own, and cannot bear to admit it
Offline Rowan  
#15 Posted : 03 September 2008 12:05:40(UTC)
Rowan

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by gor
<br />Nice to hear guys!

Nice to hear from you Gor,welcome to the forum with a really good question cobber.wink

I was gunna say IGNORANCE[:(!], but there have been very thought full replys, so I can't get away with that.

We have three very good hobby suppliers in Brisbane that I use;

JJ Hobbies
Austral Modelcraft
Nathans Trains N Toys

Nathans is the Märklin dealer, the other two have lots of model railway stock; huge diversity, and you can see the passion for model railways in there shop and eyes.
With JJ and Austral,start talking three rail and the eyes dim; mention Märklin , the eyes glaze.
JJ and Austral are great people running excellent model railway outlets.
With the two railers, I don't understand; three rail doesn't float![V]
Märklin , well don't mention that company.

There is a really excellent book from Klambach;
" How to build realistic model railroad scenery", and it has some illustrations of a three rail system. This book has only the very best piccys to illustrate great looking model railway scenery.Three rail is up there!
(I contacted Pierre who is a big fan of that book off line the other day to ask if he knew who the company was that manufactured that track system. He didn't know so if any one does, I would love to know who they are.)

It is not realistic; check out Ulf999 who has a current offering on hand layed three rail track.
Relax one day and just have a beer and check out " Me and my layout ".See what the members get up to with three rail;scenary,computers,scratch building,operation,plesure; I think they are having fun with Märklin.
Some of the piccys that members have up are very hard to tell if they have gone down the road, taken a piccy of real railways, and are passing them off as their model railway table.
( Ulf you are exposed)

I love Märklin 'cause I started in 63(?). The neighborhood model railway kids,2 railers, had their mind blown with uncouplers, electric points(turnouts),loops with no polarity issues, signals etc., etc!
When they left my house they were Märklin fanatics. What happened to them?

Gor you were commenting on ,

"Also if i'm looking many big layouts, its not marklin.....WHY?"

Price is one point.It has always been looked on as expensive.

So gor , why not Märklin you were asking.

IGNORANCE!biggrin

Smile

P.S.
I love model railways.
My model railway year is the Ipswich and Brisbane model railway shows.2 rail everywhere,love it.
It is just a bit sad(the glassed eyes) when you mention some thing off the beaten track, models of Queensland railway steam,Australian loks/passenger and goods wagons/buildings,rail side details, and when you want to end the coversation add three rail and [:0] Märklin !

Smile

Offline kimballthurlow  
#16 Posted : 03 September 2008 12:24:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Gor,
You've really started something, and welcome.
Everything stated above is correct.
Märklin has always been 10-20-30-40% more expensive than other model railroads. That immediately counts out 80-99% of buyers (outside of Germany).
Many people outside of Germany, can only justify model trains as a hobby, by buying at low prices or second-hand, scratch-building from parts, or spending many hours on do-it-yourself parts of the hobby.
The economics of getting a complete, working model railroad weighs heavily in favour of Märklin, but only if you have the money to afford it.
Any negativity hides a significant jealousy factor, and that is part of human nature.
regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline hxmiesa  
#17 Posted : 03 September 2008 12:38:49(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
My opinion;
For many years, Märklin did not really re-invest in their system. Scale-length 26.4 meter cars are still non existent. The C-track mix is far from complete, and the backward compatibility to M-track is putting strains on new products. Add to that current problems with the new digital system.
Also the strong need to always go solo (segment the market) and deliberatly SEPARATING systems; Different protocol, different wheel-geometry, different tracks, etc. causes people who dont understand /dont want these differences to think that Märklin is "strange". (And indeed it is!)
And once dubbed strange, one has to be bullied, nagged at, turned down, etc. -We all know THAT! ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Rowan  
#18 Posted : 03 September 2008 12:40:07(UTC)
Rowan

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />Hi Gor,
You've really started something, and welcome.
Everything stated above is correct.
Märklin has always been 10-20-30-40% more expensive than other model railroads. That immediately counts out 80% of buyers.
Many people can only justify model trains as a hobby, by buying at low prices or second-hand, scratch-building from parts, or spending many hours on do-it-yourself parts of the hobby.
The economics of getting a complete, working model railroad weighs heavily in favour of Märklin, but only if you have the money to afford it.
Any negativity hides a significant jealousy factor, and that is part of human nature.
regards
Kimball

Cool

Märklin is "strange". True hxmiesabiggrin

Smile
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 03 September 2008 13:51:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
All I say is, "Vive la difference!"

Marklin is different in ways that capture the imagination.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Frostie  
#20 Posted : 03 September 2008 14:35:53(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
Two railers are cheap - that is what a dealer told me one time. They then must be jealous also. This leads to dismissal and to talking down to 3 railers.

I saw the benefits of one set of wires going to the rails and operating several locomotives / turnouts through just two wires. Not so with many two rail layouts.
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline David Dewar  
#21 Posted : 03 September 2008 15:17:51(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Nearly all manufacturers make their locos available for the Marklin system as they see it as the top of the range and the standard by which all others are judged.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline WelshMatt  
#22 Posted : 03 September 2008 16:03:49(UTC)
WelshMatt

Problem is, there is not much available in three rail for railways outside Europe. Very little American and no decent quality British models exist. So if you want a US HO scale layout with locos other than F7s and PAs then you'd have to convert them. Most people will look at that, see the price and difficulty of obtaining Marklin compared to say Lifelike Proto and think "stuff it, I'll stick to 2 rail as that's what everyone else is using and I can run on the local club layout".

Think very carefully before claiming Marklin to be the best - last week I bought a Tomix Japanese N scale loco that will pull anything and can buffer up to a train without jolting the coaches, the slow speed control is that good. 2 rail, plastic body, and made by a subsidiary of the Tomy toy company. But it beats Marklin locos in silence, haulage ability, detailing and control. It was also cheaper than a Marklin Hobby loco despite being delivered from Japan by air mail.

I went to Marklin after noticing that second hand locos can often be cheaper than other brands, as shops tend to mark them down as they're no use to most modellers. However I'm frustrated by the lack of sensibly priced expansion steps for the control systems. I have an MS which is good as far as it goes, but there's no obvious next step as there would be with a Lenz DCC system. I can't get a box to plug in for point control, or a larger booster. The only available upgrade is the CS which is well out of my budget even at ebay prices. Compare that to the basic Lenz system I bought (a Compact) which I was able to add a wireless throttle and a five amp booster to as I needed to. Originally bought for a HO scale switching layout it now controls a garden railway, hence the booster and wireless.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 03 September 2008 16:30:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Matt,

I agree totally with your first paragraph, but this is true about virtually every European manufacturer. If you want US outline, you are best served by US manufacturers, and if you want UK outline, you have Hornby and Bachmann. Japan is a market of its own.

If I modelled anything other than Continental European, I would be crazy to go with Marklin.

The question is, why do UK modellers who want to model German Railways dismiss Marklin out of hand. I think they generally associate Marklin with Hornby Dublo and Trix Twin, seeing it as an old fashioned, technically out of date system.

On the continent there is a better balance between DC and AC, though DC is still far more popular. Here, I think it's more the "snobbishness" talked about before, mainly pushed by the "rivet counters".

In the US, where the modelling scene is overwhelmingly US outline, Marklin has a foothold, but is seen as "strange".

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline ddimas  
#24 Posted : 03 September 2008 16:42:02(UTC)
ddimas

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />and with 3 rail you do not need to worry about creating loops etc that would otherwise short out a 2 rail system.
plus an additional rail to provide extra wheel contact.

This is one of the reason why I chose Marklin. When I started MRR with less collection, I like to try different layout configuration as many as I can, so it was easier for me to use 3 rail. Today, as I have more collection I have less interest in making different layout. I'm very happy with Marklin.
Offline jetson  
#25 Posted : 03 September 2008 17:32:12(UTC)
jetson

Hi All,

I remember when I was a kid staring at those objects of desire, unreachable behind the glass, for many years dreaming just with the catalogs. Then the emotion of my first starter set, the pieces collected over the years, and the same fascination every time I run those "smelly" 3000's.
Best Regards

Javier
Offline dntower85  
#26 Posted : 03 September 2008 18:33:04(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
When I took my layout to the train show a the week before last, I had several people say when did marklin go to two rail. They had completely missed the pukos in the ties.
And I like the fact that my locs the shorter coaches can go around R1 curves and climb steep grades, and have couplers that don't leave cars behind every time they cross a uneven piece of track.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline David Dewar  
#27 Posted : 03 September 2008 18:33:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Ray : UK modellers dont dismiss Marklin it is Marklin that ignores the UK market. They give little support to dealers and as the cost is more than in Germany dealers have no incentive to stock the product. On the other hand Roco and Fleischmann have many UK dealers and give them a good service.
Customers wont buy goods that are not advertised or in stock and are too expensive.
If Marklin was available in the UK it would sell but a few sellers working from their spare room is just not enough.
Gaugemaster gave up and they are a well run firm.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline jeehring  
#28 Posted : 03 September 2008 18:38:34(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring
<br />

Only few words about negative vibes about 3 rails & Marklin

For me the dice are loaded
What i'm going to say is very sad
...but it is real and true : in my country it is a kind of jealousy with a lack of Knowledge + prejudice...
Prejudice is still strong , for example : many describe as unique advantage of 3 rails : the reversal loop is easy to do ! That's all .
Many people still think that Marklin = old M track .
Many of them had Marklin when they were children and they just associate Marklin with the Miniature train of their chilhood...
Many many other cases , other reasons , other facts I can't describe here ( also due to Marklin "marketing philosophy" )( excuse my poor english )
To summarize :
I would say 1/ prejudice , 2/lack of knowledge about Marklin products and 3/ from people realizing what is Marklin : jealousy . In this third category : when they realize what is really Marklin some of them stop to criticize , so we are out of the thread !

I'd like to add a new phenomenon concerning the internet ( new kind of manifestations ). In matter of public opinion Internet is becoming less & less trustworthy or reliable .
At least we have to learn how to read it , how to read some special opened areas & opened forums , blogs , etc...
Why ?
Just have a look here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_mouth

Or " Viral marketing " too, etc...

Word of mouth/ Word of mouth marketing/viral marketing/ etc..etc...
At least : one origin = internet access .

Through a new kind of "professionnal trolls" . Those trolls could sometimes be sent to pollute forums, blogs , and all kinds of internet discussions...They even may be paid for it...
Difficult to detect them in a short term...
In MRR small world , Marklin is also the prime target...( but not too much as long as Marklin is still a lokomotive on the market , in matter of distribution layout...)

Also : in giving access to virtual representations of the world , the internet has its own problematic...I can't say anymore because of my poor english it's too difficult to express myself..

Offline spitzenklasse  
#29 Posted : 03 September 2008 18:50:59(UTC)
spitzenklasse

I began in the hobby with DC 2 rail. As my finances improved, I discovered Marklin. I could not resist a starter set. Since I had aquired some very nice Roco DC trains, I have incorporated them into one nice layout. Even M track is attractive when nicely landscaped, and sceniced.
Kato came out with Unitrack, a plastic integral roadbedded track in 2 rail before any others. Atlas, and Bachmann followed, so Marklin joined the band wagon to compete, and possibly cut costs. Notice that it does come in 2 rail from Trix. There used to be Trix Express DC which was 3 rail DC. With an open mind, you can achieve a great work of art with any system.
Offline jeehring  
#30 Posted : 03 September 2008 18:55:55(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
<br />
...(...)... the not so realistic look...(...)....

best regards
Gor

marklin c-track user

This is absolutely untrue .If you take actual production do you really find that Marklin models are less realistic than productions from other industrial manufacturers ?

I just invite you to put a BR 01 , a Serie 18 ( or 40100 sncf) beside another same model from another industrial manufacturer . Just do it real .No photo , no internet .
I'm sure many people never has done the experience ....because they can't !
Only one word : prejudice . I said : too much prejudice !(similar to lack of real & concrete knowledge) .
That's only internet : too much "talkin & blablabla" .
Offline DaleSchultz  
#31 Posted : 03 September 2008 19:07:44(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
for perspective, one of our members (and a good friend) here even went over to that 'dark side' of 2-rail and he describes his reasoning here...
http://www.coralfringe.com/two_rail_journal.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline rschaffr  
#32 Posted : 03 September 2008 19:23:03(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Interesting article, Dale. A few points, though. I agree that there are not many options for turnouts in K track, but I would not call the switches delicate or fragile, anymore than an Atlas switch is. As to use of Tortoise motors, that is what I use almost exclusively (except where space is an issue). Since the author is apparently using code 100 track in 2 rail the rail size of K is not an issue. The big issue here aside from track cost, to me, are the pukos. They are the one thing that caused me to hesitate before I dove into Marklin in the 70's. I have grown to accept them but they are still a detraction to me.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline rschaffr  
#33 Posted : 03 September 2008 19:28:11(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring
<br />
Quote:
<br />
...(...)... the not so realistic look...(...)....

best regards
Gor

marklin c-track user

This is absolutely untrue .If you take actual production do you really find that Marklin models are less realistic than productions from other industrial manufacturers ?

As a matter of fact, I do. Take, for example, the movable skirts on the VT08 and the Gottardo. Also the shortened coaches. I know I have argued in favor of these things in the past and I do, in fact, accept them as a compromise to allow R1 curves, however they are certainly not realistic.
-Ron
Offline rschaffr  
#34 Posted : 03 September 2008 19:36:12(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Actually, I have for some time been considering digging out my old (1960's) Athearn F7 ABA and doing a small 2 rail layout just for comparison. Just haven't had time to follow through. If I do, I will report my observations and experiences here.
-Ron
Offline Goofy  
#35 Posted : 03 September 2008 21:11:06(UTC)
Goofy

I myself like both 2 and 3 rail trainhobby...!

It´s all question about to been satisfaction by using modelrailway as an trainhobby.

2 rail has become reached against 3 rail in about technology and good contact too in the rail...!

The most important to thinking about,is that to enjoyment in the trainhobby for all people.

Nothing else...!

Goofy Cool
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline ulf999  
#36 Posted : 03 September 2008 21:13:16(UTC)
ulf999

Welcome to the forum Gor!
The 2-railers probably also want heavy metal locos biggrin.

Thanks for the kind words Rowan Smile
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 03 September 2008 21:21:33(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ulf999
<br />Welcome to the forum Gor!
The 2-railers probably also want heavy metal locos biggrin.

Thanks for the kind words Rowan Smile

You beat it,Ulf...!

Heavy metal locomotivs are good for 2 rail joiners too...!

Goofy biggrin
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Bayer  
#38 Posted : 03 September 2008 21:26:38(UTC)
Bayer

When I began collecting, Märklin was the only brand I knew, or sort of. At the time I didn't knew the different between 3-rail or 2-rail and AC and DC, just that the Märklin start package I found on a market was great and funny to play with. Since then, I know that it was the right choice to use 3-rail, simply because Märklin has the best quality, and I'm mainly collecting old model train from before the sixties, where Märklin was the most dominating toy firm in Europe.

Regards,
Thor
Offline metpo  
#39 Posted : 03 September 2008 22:32:57(UTC)
metpo

2 rail and 3 rail bot have good and bad sides..and I have to admit I ve seen more professional railroads/nicer layouts in general in 2 rail..but 2 rail is running i guess lesser smooth/powerful.. + i hate the electronic problems with 2 rail..
+ in generalmarklin locs are totally strong.. roco has maybe sme better details but the plastic parts breakoff sometimes too easy.. I prefer something strong.. I prefer metal models in general...

I guess 2railers in general are able to work more "low budget"...

anyways 2railers (and 3 railers too) should not fight..marklin is also making 2 rail stuff (z scale f example)... we can all learn from each other...
Offline intruder  
#40 Posted : 03 September 2008 22:41:03(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
A lot of good comments, folks.

For me 2-rail was never an option.
When I started my hobby, the 2-rail locomotives and cars I knew of did not have the samy heavy quality feeling as Märklin. Märklin was the only option. Later in life I have never concidered converting to 2-rail.
I do not care if a model is too long or too short, if number of rivets one the tender side is wrong, or if the lamps are a little bit too big. It is important, though, that "normal people" can recognize the model.
It is also important to me that the model runs well and is easy to maintain.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline gor  
#41 Posted : 03 September 2008 23:07:00(UTC)
gor

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:This is absolutely untrue .If you take actual production do you really find that Marklin models are less realistic than productions from other industrial manufacturers ?

when i say not so realistic.....i'm talking about that marklin's HO many times is 1:100 and not the correct 1:87, that means my Dannish MY 1114 is 11 mm shorter from marklin than the one i have from Hobbytrade(danish producer). The benefits is of course it runs better in R1 curves.

I love marklin, and buy mostly marklin, but unfortunately, they don't produce enough danish material, so i need to add on with products from Roco and Hobbytrade.

Best regards
Gor

Marklin c-track, ms
Offline intruder  
#42 Posted : 03 September 2008 23:17:58(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
BTW, welcome to us, gor.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline gor  
#43 Posted : 03 September 2008 23:58:03(UTC)
gor

Thanks to all, for your warm welcome

Best regards
Gor
Best regards
Gor

Marklin c-track, ms
Offline Marty  
#44 Posted : 04 September 2008 00:29:28(UTC)
Marty

United States   
The Schwarzwald Modellbahn in Hausach is a Roco DC layout. Because it is a "show layout" reliability is very important. They use current conducting couplers on all the rolling stock to allow all the wheels of a given train to pick up power for the locomotive. I'm not sure if the large Märklin show layouts, like Minitur Wunderland, do anything like this (or need to with the 3-rail system). But that says something about 2-rail DC, in my opinion.Smile
Marty
Offline Westfield Depot  
#45 Posted : 04 September 2008 01:04:59(UTC)
Westfield Depot

This is an amazing discussion. So many people from around the world trying to put their finger on that intangible quality that drew each of us to Marklin trains. For me, as a recent convert, all the technical and quality arguments mentioned above were certainly important and the high price was a consideration but there was something else that was more important then all of that. I don't know the word but it's the same thing that keeps me going back and looking through the catalog for the 100th time. The same thing that keeps me browsing time and time again through my dealer's stock just to see the trains.

Put another way, there is some quality that makes my totally train disinterested wife say "cool" or "that's cute" when I bring home a new Marklin item (she actually comes and sees it run on the layout) versus total ambivalence when I bring home a 2 rail US prototype model. And I've brought home some spectacular 2 rail brass models! No reaction from her. The Marklin though makes her smile. Marklin has a secret ingredient I now feel compelled to discover. Let's call it Marklinite for lack of a better term.

Chris
Chris
Modeling Märklin Epoch I K.W.St.E. in Ohio USA
Offline WelshMatt  
#46 Posted : 04 September 2008 01:36:33(UTC)
WelshMatt

With relation to huge layouts and reliability, didn't someone post recently about such a setup that has to replace track segments due to the pickup studs wearing down? Two rail may need more cleaning but I bet the track lasts longer.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline jeehring  
#47 Posted : 04 September 2008 02:01:28(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:This is absolutely untrue .If you take actual production do you really find that Marklin models are less realistic than productions from other industrial manufacturers ?

when i say not so realistic.....i'm talking about that marklin's HO many times is 1:100 and not the correct 1:87, that means my Dannish MY 1114 is 11 mm shorter from marklin than the one i have from Hobbytrade(danish producer).

1/Are you sure your Marklin MY 1114 is exactly 11 mm shorter ?

2/ 11mm shorter is not 1:100 scale .As a symetric shape it gives 5.5mm less on each end , it could come from the way they have treated buffers or beam on which buffers are fixed , the way how couplers are guided...It could come from many other reasons .Example : on coaches or wagons Marklin often make buffers in retracted position : it gives 3 mm on each end . For example the Hobby trade model is not reproducing exactly the same version...or...or...

3/ MY 1114 is one of the oldest mould from Marklin still on the catalogue , I don't consider it as a modern creation from Marklin . Marklin have not been producing 1:100 scale locomotive for more than...30 years...may be 40 years...

1:100 scale was for modern long coaches UIC type ONLY .
You'll never find other 1::100 scaled models , excepted those UIC type coaches .ALL wagons & locomotivs and coaches ( coaches until 25 m long )are treated in HO scale with correct 1:87 scale lenght

Here in France ,still many people believe all Marklin is 1::100 . which is completely untrue of course .
Only prejudice ! + big lack of information. 3 rails is another world
Offline mrmarklin  
#48 Posted : 04 September 2008 02:28:14(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />Interesting article, Dale. A few points, though. I agree that there are not many options for turnouts in K track, but I would not call the switches delicate or fragile, anymore than an Atlas switch is. As to use of Tortoise motors, that is what I use almost exclusively (except where space is an issue). Since the author is apparently using code 100 track in 2 rail the rail size of K is not an issue. The big issue here aside from track cost, to me, are the pukos. They are the one thing that caused me to hesitate before I dove into Marklin in the 70's. I have grown to accept them but they are still a detraction to me.

We use weathered K-Track on the ETE modular layout here in the SF Bay Area. It has been displayed many times.

Cool The puko issue is totally bogus. Many many times I have explained to the audience that we are using a third rail to run AC/Marklin trains because the center studs are just not noticable to the layman and even to 2-railers that view the layout.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline shaygetz  
#49 Posted : 04 September 2008 02:29:43(UTC)
shaygetz

I enjoy each for it's unique offerings to the hobby---I even own Tyco and Marx [:p] Marklin has had a place in my collection for a long time, they are an important part of the hobby. Besides, I can run all my rolling stock on Marklin track, just not all my locs.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

---A.W. Tozer

Webpage... www.freewebs.com/shaygetz
Blog... http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com/
Offline jeehring  
#50 Posted : 04 September 2008 02:45:14(UTC)
jeehring

2 rail has become reached against 3 rail in about technology and good contact too in the rail...!

1/ technology : not in reliability ( some tests have been made ; Marklin and Fleischmann are the best . Roco is very far : less than half time .)Unfortunately there were not HAG in test .
2/good contact with rails : only two railers says that ! I'm sorry , for me it's completely untrue .Three rails offers more contacts less chances to be dirty too .
wheels to rails contact is still the Achilles heel of MRR .