Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline elinkjoe  
#1 Posted : 31 August 2008 21:09:58(UTC)
elinkjoe

Does anyone have experience with LS Models passenger coaches? Are they comparable to M or Roco? Are they easy to light?

Any info would be appreciated as I have my eye on two CNL coaches on ebay that look really good.

Thanks in advance, Joe
elinkjoe
Offline al_pignolo  
#2 Posted : 31 August 2008 23:16:10(UTC)
al_pignolo

I own a SNCF USI passenger car. The detailing is very good, better than M or roco, I think. I didn't light it.
The circulation gives no trouble (I never tested R1) because the bogies pivot is asymmetric.
Pietro
Offline mmervine  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2008 23:22:18(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Joe:

LS model cars are usually full length. I would not recommnend them if you have R1 curves on your layout.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2008 06:14:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
So far, I have a few of the WLAB 30 sleeping coaches (SNCB, OBB) that were made by LS Models and LSM/RailTop. I also have the ex-TUI coaches in the CNL livery. I am waiting for the delivery of the new blue and white & red CNL Sets and coaches, as well as the DB Nachtzug couchette Bcvmz Set.
If they are nice, I will probably add the OBB ex-CNL sleepers to my collection.
I might sell my Heris CNL Coach Sets, as I am not sure I will need both sets.
The LSM (along with the RT and ACME) coaches are as detailed as any coach that I have by Roco. They look good in combination with Roco, Lima, Rivarossi and even ADE coaches. The couchette and sleeper coaches, for example, have accessories that enable you to outfit the coach for day (seats) or night (bed) operations.
Installing lighting appears no more complicated than on a Roco coach.

If you want to test the water, you should order one coach. I am sure that you will then decide to order a few more, and that you will be happy with them. The larger the radii, the better they (and other 1:87 coaches) will look.

Regards

Mike C
Offline elinkjoe  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2008 07:26:39(UTC)
elinkjoe

Thanks. I am going to order one set of OBB Night coaches to start. I'll post pics when I get them.
elinkjoe
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2008 06:28:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was thinking about the OBB ex-CNL coach as well. I already have the RailTop, Liliput and Heris coaches to make the EN Wiener Walzer or Zuerichsee. My only concern is that I only require the WLABm and not the WLBm that comes with the set. Hopefully someone will offer the models separately on eBay in the near future.

I found that Roco's Universal Coupler is the coupler to use with the LSM and other coaches, because they offer an extra mm or two per coupler vis a vis the Maerklin 7203. They also do not interfere with the buffers like the Maerklin ones can.

I just got confirmation that my ordered LSM models have arrived at my office and I will be able to check them out in more detail later this week.

Regards

Mike C
Offline elinkjoe  
#7 Posted : 02 September 2008 10:36:26(UTC)
elinkjoe

I thought the Roco Universal couplers are no longer available, is that correct? Either way, my layout is point to point so curves are not a problem. The lack of space is a problem.
elinkjoe
Offline al_pignolo  
#8 Posted : 02 September 2008 16:36:44(UTC)
al_pignolo

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by elinkjoe
<br />I thought the Roco Universal couplers are no longer available, is that correct? Either way, my layout is point to point so curves are not a problem. The lack of space is a problem.

They weren't, but now they are avaliable again (roco #40395 or #40397).
My layout has large radii (not so much:R2 as I said) but short sidings. But IMHO a train with four full lenght coaches looks better than another one with five shortened ones. But, in this fourm we realized that opinions are different. Smile
Pietro
Offline WelshMatt  
#9 Posted : 02 September 2008 16:37:12(UTC)
WelshMatt

I have a few of their SNCF GC coaches which are first class. My only complaint would be that they seem to be impossible to get into to add lighting (at least, I suspect they would get damaged in the attempt) and that they don't come with close couplers. I used Fleischmann Profi-couplers between them with standard loop-type couplers on the outer ends of the set.

Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 03 September 2008 03:38:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />I have a few of their SNCF GC coaches which are first class. My only complaint would be that they seem to be impossible to get into to add lighting (at least, I suspect they would get damaged in the attempt) and that they don't come with close couplers. I used Fleischmann Profi-couplers between them with standard loop-type couplers on the outer ends of the set.

In saying "they don't come with close couplers", you are being misleading. All LS Models coaches come equipped with close couping mechanisms. The coaches are delivered with normal NEM coupling heads. Since LSM does not make it's own close couplers, the buyer can choose which type of close coupler to install.

I have found that LS Models coaches, and several other brands have close coupling shafts that are up to a mm shorter than Roco or Maerklin. For this reason, I have found that Roco's Universal Couplers provide the best connection with the added bonus of being compatible with Maerklin's 7203 (on the loks) and regular hook couplings as well.

I am in process of examining my latest acquisitions, which I picked up at my office today, several blue and the new red and white CNL coaches. I will try to post a review and a comparison with the earlier Heris models later tonight or tomorrow.

Regards

Mike C
Offline lokbraz  
#11 Posted : 03 September 2008 05:22:09(UTC)
lokbraz

Quote:
<br />I have a few of their SNCF GC coaches which are first class. My only complaint would be that they seem to be impossible to get into to add lighting (at least, I suspect they would get damaged in the attempt) ...

Hello WelshMatt,

I own 3 of SNCF inox Mistral cars and I run them together with Marklin's PBA "Etoile du Nord" car sets. They match very well. IMHO the LSM cars have a little bit more details than M*s such separated color seats. Also the stainless steel finish looks better.

Here are the minus, and these apply to most other LS models: Lighter and much more delicate body. The later is noted when the undercarriage is separated from body and roof. The regular NEM coupler that leaves a bigger gap between cars. That can be easily remedy with Roco's universal coupler.

One particular problem with Mistral inox cars is that if you install a substantial bright LED light strip, some light it will bleed through the corrugated roof. Again with a little of modeler's skill wink, I just added a piece of aluminum foil on the roof's underside.

You may think that is impossible to install any lights, but unlike M* cars the LSM cars as well as, Roco, Liliput and Sachsenmodelle cars are usually made of body and roof separated pieces. A lot of times, you will not notice that because these parts are joined very tightly. A clue is that once you separate the undercarriage of body and roof pieces, you will find that there are some transversal reinforcing plastic under the roof. If you look closely where this reinforcing panel meets with the top side of body , the sill between sides and roof, you will find locking tabs.

You will need to separate both pieces in order to install a light strip in the space bellow roof. First, you can do it either by locating the tabs from inside and using a Xacto flat blade carefully pry from outside between roof and side pieces. The other way is to use a mid size flat head screw, inset and push towards the body centerline it between the side wall and tabs. That is not always possible.

Using your modeler skills, patience and some thinking you will get there. Nothing is impossible in HO biggrin.

Ed
My ancestors came from the land of rising sun. I was born in South America. Spent time in Europe. Now I live in California.
So, I am a builder of south american brass models. I read about the railroads on the Sierras. But I play with Marklin and have best time with my Marklin peers. wink
Offline WelshMatt  
#12 Posted : 03 September 2008 20:19:08(UTC)
WelshMatt

That's the problem. LS Models fit the mechanism but let themselves down by fitting the universal couplers. I cannot believe that they could not have bought in Roco couplers for example.

"The buyer can choose" is all very well, but I feel that when we're paying this sort of money there should be a couple of choices included in the box.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 04 September 2008 04:11:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
<br />That's the problem. LS Models fit the mechanism but let themselves down by fitting the universal couplers. I cannot believe that they could not have bought in Roco couplers for example.

"The buyer can choose" is all very well, but I feel that when we're paying this sort of money there should be a couple of choices included in the box.

Matt,

I just equipped some of my new Citynightline rolling stock with Maerklin 7203. All that I had to do was remove the imitation coupling hook from the models with a pair of tweezers. The models now run perfectly close coupled and can be used with any other coaches.

Roco, Fleischmann and Maerklin all invented their own close coupling concepts. Why would they want to share with other companies?
Even Roco's Universal Coupler was licensed from the actual inventor. When Roco went bankrupt, that deal was abrogated and Modelleisenbahn GmBH had to license the technology again.

No close coupler has been adopted as a MOROP or NEM standard. Unlike the Maerklin loop coupling, which became the standard European coupler, companies can either develop their own, or leave it to the buyer to decide which brand of close coupler he wants to use.

It is the same discussion as with decoders. If a model comes with a decoder, some people complain that it is ESU (for example) and not the one they are using. If it comes without a decoder, they complain about that.

At a cost of 50-75 cents per coupler, I am sure that adding a set Maerklin 7203/Fleischmann 6515 or Roco 40397 to a coach is not a major hardship. Just as you can ask a dealer to change the wheelset for AC or DC, you can ask to have close couplers added, but you will have to pay for the parts.

I just ordered another round of couplers from Roco, Maerklin and Fleischmann, so I should be good to go for the rest of the year.

BTW, the LSM DB Nachtzug and CNL Couchette coaches are amazing. I love the way they incorporated the lavatory tanks without interfering with the coupling mechanism. These are no doubt examples of the best that China can produce.

Regards

Mike C

Regards,

Mike C
Offline elinkjoe  
#14 Posted : 07 September 2008 03:42:03(UTC)
elinkjoe

In case any one else was curious about LS Models, here are the coaches I got today. Very well detailed, the interiors are fantastic with separate floor, wall, bed and chair colors. They come with sinks too. They are scale length and handle R1 turnouts, but just barely. The only draw back is that lighting them does not seem like it will be easy.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
elinkjoe
Offline al_pignolo  
#15 Posted : 07 September 2008 21:10:57(UTC)
al_pignolo

Very nice, Joe!
If a double deck full-lenght coach (that is the most improving kind of car) runs in a R1 turnout we must say that LS models are not born for the cabinet, but they are designed for the layout!
Pietro