Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roger E  
#1 Posted : 31 August 2008 15:33:43(UTC)
Roger E

I have had 2 of the 74490 switch-motors fail completely - and that is a very high failure rate since I only have 4 such motors in total. The problem is that the end stop micro-switches go open circuit (have measured this with a multimeter). When I move the switch forth and back a few times it may start to work again, but do eventually fail again.

I use the Viessmann 5231 decoder for digital operation. When replacing the switch motor with a new one, it works just fine.

Have anyone else experienced such problems?

-Roger
Offline charles Sharpe  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2008 09:42:24(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Roger.

In the last 18 mouths I have fitted 54 of these and I have had 1 fail on me, and that was my stupid fault , when I was laying my ballast I got the PVA glue too thin and too close to the turnout and it got under neath and got into the 74490 and locked it up solid. If you bought the 4 / 74490 from the same place you might have got part off a faulty batch.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Roger E  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2008 04:00:14(UTC)
Roger E

Thanks for your feedback Charles. I did buy the switches at the same store, but they came from different batches according to the date and revision codes on the internal circuit board.

I have investigated the problem further and found that the micro-switch contacts were badly burnt. The picture below shows the internal parts of the turnout switch, with insets of the open micro-switch and the burned contact. I fixed the problem by sanding the contact points lightly and then assemble the micro-switch and solder it back in place. So far it works fine.

So why did the contacts get damaged? Thinking of it I actually find it quite strange that this does not happen more often. The current trough the coil is around 1 A and when the contact opens there will certainly be some arching across the contacts due to the inductance of the coil. And 1 A is quite high current trough such a small switch.

Since I use a decoder the current trough the coil is DC. This is probably a bit worse than using AC, which I assume is normally used for wired switchboard operation. Could this be part of the problem?

UserPostedImage
Open Turnout Motor with burned micro-switch contact
Offline rschaffr  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2008 04:21:35(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Roger: Two thoughts. One, how are you energizing them? The duration of the signal should not exceed 750ms. If it does, it WILL burn out the contacts or the coil (I know).
Secondly, I se the Viessmann decoders where I can supply the switch furrent with 16vAC, not the digital power. This has two advantages, One, it doesn't waste expensive digital power moving switches, and two, it is better for the switch coil.

I have lost quite a number of them ( a few when I was doing my computer program and didn't de-energize them). I now use Tortoise motors wherever I have room.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline efel  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2008 16:22:32(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

I don't quite share Ron analysis.
In fact, after making some measurements, it appears that the current in the coil is switched off after 20 to 40 ms. So, even if the energizing time is limited to some hundreds of ms, it's the end position switch that switches off the current. Then if the switch can't withstand a 1A -or so- switching current, the problem will appear soon or later.
(I agree with Ron on the fact that if the microswitch doesn't work and stays in the "ON" position, the coil will burn (or the plastic close to) if it is not de-energized)
I personnally have not had this problem for 3 years with my 74490 (energized with 16V AC), and AFAIK this problem is not often (if any) reported on this forum.
So it's may be a quality problem on new micro switch?
(Hope it never appears in my hidden station!)
If it's really a quality problem, and if it is not seriously solved by Marklin, I see only 1 solution (except not using 74490): it's to remove (or shunt) the microswitches, and use, of course, a pulse to drive the coils.
It's for sure the way I'll go in my next (?) layout.

Using a non-reliable turnout in a layout is not acceptable.

Roger, if you were kind enough to send back the burnt switches to Marklin, and try to get from them an explanation, it would really be profitable to the whole Marklin community.

Thanks and best regards

Fred
Offline Roger E  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2008 02:28:24(UTC)
Roger E

Good point about power feeding. I use digital track power and the pulse length from the Viessmann decoder is 200 mS. This will actually be somewhat different than using separate AC power to the decoder, but it is not clear to me that one is better than the other. As Fred points out the pulse length should not matter as long as the micro-switch is working properly. Heating of the coil should also only be a problem if the micro-switch fails in the "ON" position, or the actuator arm is blocked from moving to the end positions.

I returned the first failing motor to the local dealer, but since the problem was somewhat intermittent it worked again when tested in the store. The dealer did only very reluctantly replace it with a new motor, and it is not at all likely that he sent the old one back to Marklin. When the second motor failed I decided I wasn't going back there and just repaired it myself.

I need a few more turnout motors, but think I will wait a bit and see if the Viessmann 4554 slow moving motor will materialize. I heard rumors it will be available this fall - any other info on this?

Thanks and regards
Roger

Edit: corrected Viessmann part number
Offline leo  
#7 Posted : 31 October 2009 12:15:10(UTC)
leo

Viessmann posted a video on youtube showing 4554 slow moving motor in action.

The design is impressive, can't wait to see it working with the C-track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbbQTgquiNg

Leo
Online foumaro  
#8 Posted : 31 October 2009 19:18:03(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have 16 74490 turnouts motors working for over 10 years and i had
never had any proplem.The motors working on 52VA transformer and marklin
keyboards.