Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gachar001  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2008 23:37:01(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Hello,
I just installed LED lighting on a consist of 3 cars and now I am facing a strange problem. When I place these cars on the track and supply power via my MS (connected to a 42VA transformer), the lights flicker for a few seconds and then the MS goes to 'Stop' mode. I have 3 other consists with lighting on the layout. Normally, when I turn on the MS, the lighting on all the cars on the layout flicker 3 - 4 times with a slight clicking sound and then, the power comes on.

In this case, the flickering continues much longer and the power shuts off.

I have a pickup shoe and ground spring on car 1. I use a rectifier before the LED strips. Then I use CC couplers to supply power to the other cars. The problem does not happen when I have only car #1 on the track. When car 2 and 3 are connected to the consist, the problem starts. If I add car #2 and 3 after the MS has powered on, it works fine.

I have a similar arrangement on my other consists and they all work just fine. I am not seeing any shorts or anything like that.

Would it be that the MS/42VA transformer has reached it's limit and is unable to power all these things? BTW, I have 10 digital locos on the layout and about 12 cars with lighting, each with 2 strips.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 31 August 2008 04:27:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
here is what I suspect is happening:
if the light strips have capacitors in their circuits to prevent flicker, it is likely that on start up, the capacitors draw too much current when they are charging up. The solution is to place a resistor (not sure how big) in the lines to the capacitors so that they do not draw so much current initially.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline gachar001  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2008 06:48:05(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />here is what I suspect is happening:
if the light strips have capacitors in their circuits to prevent flicker, it is likely that on start up, the capacitors draw too much current when they are charging up. The solution is to place a resistor (not sure how big) in the lines to the capacitors so that they do not draw so much current initially.

I don't have capacitors in any of the lighted cars. Like Lutz mentioned, I suspect that I just exceeded the current limit of the MS. I do have resistors on some of the consists that have LEDs to reduce the brightness of the lights.

Could you please tell me what my options are to boost power to my tracks. Do I need to switch to a CS/Ecost 500001/Commander? Or can I use some kind of booster with my MS?

I was planning to buy a CS/Ecost 500001/Commander but didn't expect to have to buy it so soon considering the fact that my layout is still relatively tiny.

Dumb Question - I have a spare MS. If I use that as a slave, would that help my situation temperorily? I would like to have a temperory solution to my problem so that I can wait for the CS2 and then decide between the CS2/Ecost 500001/Commander after reading the reviews. Before I spend $500 to $800, I would like to see which is the best before buying.

Thanks for your help.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline efel  
#4 Posted : 31 August 2008 10:59:47(UTC)
efel

France   
First of all, be sure that it is an overload problem and not linked to your last consist: remove some locos/cars before putting your last lighted consist on track. If the problem does not appear, it's likely an overload.
You can then use a 66045 delta control as a booster: it's not expensive (generally some tens Euros on ebay). You need also its own transfo (your 42VA transfo can be used for the booster and a small 18VA "transfo" for the MS).

NB: As far as I know, Marklin does not product any booster that allows mfx registration.

Fred
Offline gachar001  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2008 01:48:08(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by efel
<br />First of all, be sure that it is an overload problem and not linked to your last consist: remove some locos/cars before putting your last lighted consist on track. If the problem does not appear, it's likely an overload.
You can then use a 66045 delta control as a booster: it's not expensive (generally some tens Euros on ebay). You need also its own transfo (your 42VA transfo can be used for the booster and a small 18VA "transfo" for the MS).

NB: As far as I know, Marklin does not product any booster that allows mfx registration.

Fred

Fred,
I confirmed that it is an overload problem. If I remove one or 2 locos, then everything works fine.

I do have a spare 66045 and a spare transformer. But I am not able to find the wiring diagram for wiring it along with a MS to act like a booster. Could you please tell me where I can find it?
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Online mmervine  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2008 02:01:07(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
You can use a Delta controller and a transformer as a booster. Otherwise, the new CS2 or ECoS would be good investements.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 01 September 2008 02:41:14(UTC)
H0

Here is a diagram that shows how to use a 66045 as a booster for a MS (blue box at bottom of first page).

One note: you have to use the right stop position on the Delta Control (this is wrong on the drawing).

To enable the booster mode, bridge the two grey connectors and turn the Delta Control to the right stop position.

You should use the ugly box™ only as a programming track where you register mfx locos.
Use center rail insulaters and center rail rocker if you need a connection between the tracks fed from the ugly box™ and the tracks fed from the Delta Control.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline gachar001  
#8 Posted : 01 September 2008 23:57:40(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by h-zero
<br />Here is a diagram that shows how to use a 66045 as a booster for a MS (blue box at bottom of first page).

One note: you have to use the right stop position on the Delta Control (this is wrong on the drawing).

To enable the booster mode, bridge the two grey connectors and turn the Delta Control to the right stop position.

You should use the ugly box™ only as a programming track where you register mfx locos.
Use center rail insulaters and center rail rocker if you need a connection between the tracks fed from the ugly box™ and the tracks fed from the Delta Control.

Tom,
Thanks for the information. I was trying to wire the booster and had some questions.
In the diagram, there is a set of red and brown wires going to the track connected to the MS. There is an other set of red and brown wires going to the other set of tracks.
1. Can these two sets of track (one with the MS and the other) be on the same circuit or should they be insulated from each other?
2. If they have to be insulated from each other, what benifit is the transformer attached to the MS going to provide?
3. If they are on the same circuit, can the red plug in the delta controller be connected directly to the blue plug on the Delta controller since that is what it looks like in the diagram.

Thanks.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline hemau  
#9 Posted : 02 September 2008 00:23:32(UTC)
hemau

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
1. Can these two sets of track (one with the MS and the other) be on the same circuit or should they be insulated from each other?
2. If they have to be insulated from each other, what benifit is the transformer attached to the MS going to provide?

Thanks.

MS and boosted section should be isolated. In the scheme there is an elaborate transition section; I've no experience with that. I have never combined MS and 66045 boosted sections. I would'nt take risks in that combination. What I did was have the MS powering a program track and feed the signal (red and brown) from that to the 66045 booster(s). Before I had a CS I used 2 66045 boosters; each on their own section, isolated, but no special things as rockers.
BTW: the power deliverence by 66045 is much better than MS (be it 1.2 or 1.9 A).
Q 2: the MS has to be fed somehow, by a trafo separeted from anything else. But you don't need much power. I fed my 2 MS with an old 16 VA trafo regulated down to exact 16 V; MS kept working even on 13 V!
QW 3: red plug and blue plug can not be connected as the blue plug is the signal input and the red plug is the signal output!
Regards, Henk.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 02 September 2008 00:33:31(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Hello Gautham.

1: No, they can not be connected, and just isolating them isn't enough,
the short-circiut made by the pickup-shoe will destroy your Mobile Station.

2: The transformer going to the MS provides power for the MS and the programming / registrering track.

3: No no no wink

If you have MFX loks, and want them to register in the MS by themselves,
you have to put them on the track connected to the MS first, wait until
they are registered, and then lift them to the tracks powered by the boosters.

If you use the second diagram, you can make trains run by themselves from one track to the other.

I prefer the first solution, simple and safe.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Or:

UserPostedImage

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline gachar001  
#11 Posted : 02 September 2008 01:01:56(UTC)
gachar001

India   
So if I understand this correctly, the track connected to the MS should not even be attached to the layout and used only to register MFX loks. And I am guessing that while I control the trains using the MS, the signals go via the Delta controller to the track.

I think I finally understood it. Thanks for all your help.

Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 02 September 2008 01:04:02(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:So if I understand this correctly, the track connected to the MS should not even be attached to the layout
and used only to register MFX loks. And I am guessing that while I control the trains using the MS,
the signals go via the Delta controller to the track.

You are correct wink

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline gachar001  
#13 Posted : 02 September 2008 01:07:55(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
<br />Cool

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:So if I understand this correctly, the track connected to the MS should not even be attached to the layout
and used only to register MFX loks. And I am guessing that while I control the trains using the MS,
the signals go via the Delta controller to the track.

You are correct wink

Per.

Cool

Really appreciate your help and the clear explaination with the pictures.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline hemau  
#14 Posted : 02 September 2008 01:19:12(UTC)
hemau

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
<br />Hello Gautham.

I prefer the first solution, simple and safe.

Per.

I totally agree. Great pictures!
I suppose left on pic is uglybox/program track/ right is layout.
Connection by colors.
Why do you have yellow and brown together ? That's the power input, isn't it?
And note that the 6604(5) has common ground with the rest of the tracks (excl. MS feed)
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 02 September 2008 01:32:53(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Why do you have yellow and brown together ? That's the power input, isn't it?

I do not! biggrin The terminal block is just to show where the connetion to the trafo is. wink

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I suppose left on pic is uglybox/program track/ right is layout.
Correct.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline gachar001  
#16 Posted : 02 September 2008 02:28:44(UTC)
gachar001

India   
I just completed the connections and everything works fine. When I start up the MS, there is no flickering at all.
I have a question, my mfx locos are flashing when I pull them up on the MS. Even though the locos work fine, there arrow flashes constantly. The one that looks like this ||||||||||||||||&gt;
Is this normal?
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Purellum  
#17 Posted : 02 September 2008 03:03:55(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I don't know if it should be considered normal; but mine does the same biggrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Online mmervine  
#18 Posted : 02 September 2008 03:23:18(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
My guess is that, since the booster does not support MFX, the MS is indicating a loss of two way communication.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/