Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline klinge-germany  
#51 Posted : 27 January 2009 12:06:24(UTC)
klinge-germany

hello mike, i will go for k-track, too.
with the c-track of some startersets in my hands (and they are cautious !) the same happened to me, many clips have broken. but maybe we will get some hints here what to do in order to apply own-build clips to it like the handrails on the swiss locos...and not be so critic to M's products....
for me the biggest disadvantage with c-track is the colour, if you have a look at big layouts built with c-track they look too unique, so they must be treated with colour and then you can use k-track....
maybe i will use my c-track in the hidden parts of the layout....
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline mmrcnzjohn  
#52 Posted : 27 January 2009 12:11:18(UTC)
mmrcnzjohn

New Zealand   
Has anyone tried the Tiligh 3 rail track?

John

Offline klarinettmeister  
#53 Posted : 27 January 2009 14:18:14(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
It seems there are alot of people in here who uses K-track.
I hope this rumor isn´t true. I have a question about the K-track as I only have a few (2200) and lots and lots of C-track.

How are the reliability of the turnouts in K-track?
I have a lots of 74490 (about 20) and when I build a new layout I often have to change them, so I propably have about 10 that doesn´t work. Some are version 1.2 and some are 1.3. I´ve been having them for a while so there's no guarantee. I have 10 74444. I had to change 5 of the motors... The decoders are ok. I don´t dare using C-track turnouts in hidden places anymore. I remember the old reliable 52-series M track turnouts...

Is it easy to get exactly what you want from the flex-track?

If it´s between K and C I seriously consider replacing my C-track with K-track! I have absolutely no money for that so I´ll have to sell the C-track.

/David
Offline spitzenklasse  
#54 Posted : 27 January 2009 14:51:40(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Though I don't use K-track, it is Marklins most realistic track imho.
Offline WelshMatt  
#55 Posted : 27 January 2009 19:44:18(UTC)
WelshMatt

They will make K track for as long as there is a market for it. They may not produce a wider range of sections, depending on sales of the existing range. But the tooling exists, so providing they sell enough to cover raw materials and staff wages it wouldn't make sense to stop.

I have tried M and C track, and feel C track is the better of the two. M has its place (I have seen some very nice "historic" layouts with classic stock using it), but I have in the past tried ballasting Peco track by hand and it was a very tedious process even for an 8ft x 1ft shunting layout. K track would be much the same.

Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline rschaffr  
#56 Posted : 27 January 2009 21:26:41(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
David: My only problem with K switches is the motors. The new series motors tend to fail, in my ex[experience. I use Circuitron Tortoise motors wherever I can for more reliability and the more realistic slow action. As for the switch body itself, I have never had one fail. I have caught a piece of ballast in a few that had to be removed, but that is my own fault.

Interesting thought of Peco producing K track. Peco has a great line of wide radius switches that I would love to use in my layout. I have tried some experiments with third party PUKOs but really didn't like them. If Peco came out with a three rail vdersion of their line I think that would be great.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Goofy  
#57 Posted : 27 January 2009 22:49:43(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />David: My only problem with K switches is the motors. The new series motors tend to fail, in my ex[experience. I use Circuitron Tortoise motors wherever I can for more reliability and the more realistic slow action. As for the switch body itself, I have never had one fail. I have caught a piece of ballast in a few that had to be removed, but that is my own fault.

Interesting thought of Peco producing K track. Peco has a great line of wide radius switches that I would love to use in my layout. I have tried some experiments with third party PUKOs but really didn't like them. If Peco came out with a three rail vdersion of their line I think that would be great.

But the question is if you can using tortoisemotor togehter with CS2 or MS2...
K-track is not the best in the world...!
It does Tillig Elite code 83 instead.
If Peco can start producing 3-railversion...?
Nope...!
Forget it...!!!
Marklin has alone rights to producing 3 railtracks.
Only Marklin...

Goofy
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline xxup  
#58 Posted : 27 January 2009 23:07:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />Of course you realise that the rumoured demise of K track is part of xxup and my plan to once again make M track the dominant Marklin track system.

Now, all we need to do is get rid of that pesky C track system, and our plans for world domination will be complete!

Curses.. Foiled again.. Come on mutley we must now go to plan B... Snigger snigger... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline klarinettmeister  
#59 Posted : 28 January 2009 00:04:55(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />David: My only problem with K switches is the motors. The new series motors tend to fail, in my ex[experience. I use Circuitron Tortoise motors wherever I can for more reliability and the more realistic slow action. As for the switch body itself, I have never had one fail. I have caught a piece of ballast in a few that had to be removed, but that is my own fault.

So they have not improved... that´s bad. the motors are expensive so they should work. How do yours fail?
My faulty C turnouts motors only reacts when you want to go straight. But what´s the use of a turnout if you can´t turn...
Offline rschaffr  
#60 Posted : 28 January 2009 00:10:54(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I find that they do not switch reliably. As to using Tortoise with any controller, that is not a problem. It is hooked up to a K84 type decoder or a K83 with a relay.

Goofy, I do not think any patent rights exist for making three rail track...lionel has been making it for many decades. The only reason no one else makes it is that they don't want to.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline LeoArietis  
#61 Posted : 28 January 2009 00:57:44(UTC)
LeoArietis

Sweden   
Maybe a K2 (next generation K) with code 90 or even lower?

Either way, C-track need to be expanded a lot!
Slim double switches, wider-radius curved turnouts, flexi-C, (just need to flex +600 mm radius, smaller is covered by regular program), turntable, 33-mm long straigt, a few more shorter wide-radius, an intermediate turnout-angle, a wye.

The available second-hand market of K-track is tiny.
Current layout:
http://www.svensktmjforu.../index.php?topic=10990.0
The former project:
http://www.svensktmjforu...forum_posts.asp?TID=1097
With Pictures and trackplans, but in Swedish
Transitation-curves in C-track:
https://www.marklin-user...9-on-75-cm.aspx#post9281
Offline laalves  
#62 Posted : 28 January 2009 01:31:08(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by LeoArietis
<br />The available second-hand market of K-track is tiny.

That's because it is usually installed permanently and it doesn't hold well the dismantling operation from a permanent, landscaped and ballasted layout.

I'm also a k-track user, I'm currently laying my 6 track station with k-track. I have about 2500€ worth of it to use in the layout in stock. If it gets discontinued, it won't be a problem for me!

Besides, there are solutions, just check ulf's stunning work with Peco and pukos strips.
Offline FMS  
#63 Posted : 28 January 2009 01:39:59(UTC)
FMS

Start a race to get k-track! The Brent Barrel is going down K-track is going up!!Smile
Regards
FMS
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#64 Posted : 28 January 2009 02:12:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />Of course you realise that the rumoured demise of K track is part of xxup and my plan to once again make M track the dominant Marklin track system.

Now, all we need to do is get rid of that pesky C track system, and our plans for world domination will be complete!

Curses.. Foiled again.. Come on mutley we must now go to plan B... Snigger snigger... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Zincpest anyone??
Offline mvd71  
#65 Posted : 28 January 2009 07:11:43(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
The only thing I can say in terms of point motors, is that the are at least easy to change.

I would love to see the K track range expanded, and if they changed the rail code to fall in line with the C track they would also be able to save in rail stock.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline Goofy  
#66 Posted : 28 January 2009 19:10:48(UTC)
Goofy

And this time not rostfree steel anymore time at K-tracks...!!!
I prefer nickelsilver instead...!

Goofy Cool
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline WelshMatt  
#67 Posted : 28 January 2009 23:11:52(UTC)
WelshMatt

I can't see Peco producing any AC track (apart from their brass centre stud strip to fit to normal track). There just isn't enough of a market for them. It has taken years to get them to make some types of 2 rail track!

Their standard point motors are good, if a bit agricultural. They have a pair of solenoids about 1cm in diameter powered by 16v AC and last for years. I have some that were originally used by my father on his 1970s-built GWR layout and have since been used on about three other layouts. They still work perfectly!
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline mvd71  
#68 Posted : 29 January 2009 07:32:00(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:And this time not rostfree steel anymore time at K-tracks...!!!
I prefer nickelsilver instead...!

The K track rails are made of Nickel silver.[^]