Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dandrikop  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2008 01:32:25(UTC)
dandrikop

Marklin has produced many cheap digital electric locomotives (article numbers 368xx) that have dummy pantographs. I believe that those pantographs are actually current-conducting, i.e. they are the same ones used for locomotives that really have the capability to be operated from the catenary.

Has anybody tried to convert these locomotives so as to be operated from the catenary?

I think that it's not a big deal to connect some wire so as to supply such a locomotive with power from the catenary. However, I'm searching for a stable solution.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2008 02:19:33(UTC)
H0

I never tried it.

These are all digital locos - and it is recommended not to run digital layouts from catenary.

If the pantograph is conducting: remove the slider from the loco and connect the screw that holds the pantograph with the cable that comes from the slider.
It's worth a try for conventional layouts.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline spitzenklasse  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2008 02:38:14(UTC)
spitzenklasse

True, you get better signal transmission via the center rail stud. I do not have one of these 36xxx Locs. to examine the pcb board. If it has the square brass pickup spot for panto. connection, a brass stock can be connected between the body mount screws, and another bent at about 45 degrees to contact the square, just as on a 37, or 39xxx Loc. Then, if you remove the pickup shoe, it should work.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2008 06:06:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by spitzenklasse
<br />True, you get better signal transmission via the center rail stud. I do not have one of these 36xxx Locs. to examine the pcb board. If it has the square brass pickup spot for panto. connection, a brass stock can be connected between the body mount screws, and another bent at about 45 degrees to contact the square, just as on a 37, or 39xxx Loc. Then, if you remove the pickup shoe, it should work.

The main risk is that an intermittent contact will put the lok into progreamming mode, or worse yet, burn out the decoder.

I believe that there was a report in more detail on Stummi or one of the other German forums on converting the model for catenary use.

Regards

Mike C
Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2008 07:56:01(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I ran my digital E-loks for years off the catenary without a problem. The only reason I converted was to eliminate the physical problems I kept having with the hidden catenary. I have removed it all and eliminated 70-80% of the problems I used to have. Operationally, the loks ran great from the catenary. None of the problems cited above. I never had a lok enter programming mode (I have a mix of 6090x, ESU LoPis and LokSonds, and Marklin Mfx loks) and the only decoder I ever burnt out was on a diesel lok running from the pukos.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2008 22:23:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I ran my digital E-loks for years off the catenary without a problem. The only reason I converted was to eliminate the physical problems I kept having with the hidden catenary. I have removed it all and eliminated 70-80% of the problems I used to have. Operationally, the loks ran great from the catenary. None of the problems cited above. I never had a lok enter programming mode (I have a mix of 6090x, ESU LoPis and LokSonds, and Marklin Mfx loks) and the only decoder I ever burnt out was on a diesel lok running from the pukos.

It is normal that you were able to operate digital with catenary for years. The problem only surfaced with newer decoders which can be remotely programmed and especially with the newer ESU and mfx units.

It also depends on the transformer that you are using and the voltage it is putting out. It is for a similar reason that Maerklin advises that mfx loks should only be used with newer transformers. The transformer upgrade project was for this reason as well as for changes in the voltage that the transformer could work with (240 instead of 220, etc).

Loks with 6080/6090 and other Motorola decoders will not have a problem with catenary operation, as the settings cannot be affected remotely.

Regards

Mike C

Regards

Mike C
Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 24 August 2008 23:45:50(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Mike:

This included quite a few new programmable decoders, both mfx and non-mfx. My transformer is a home made 10 output unit using a 35 amp. 16vAC filament transformer. Each tap is individually protected with a 4 amp circuit breaker.

[image]http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/images/pwrsply.jpg[/image]
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html