Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline WelshMatt  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2008 17:01:43(UTC)
WelshMatt

I've just finished a bit of restoration on an old Hornby Dublo Duchess of Montrose, and thought it might be appreciated. The Dublo range had a lot in common with classic Marklin, using three rail track (slightly different appearance to older M track) and with locos and stock made from diecast metal and tinplate.

The loco seen here would have left the Liverpool factory between 1954 and 1958, and was in very rough condition when I paid £5 for it a couple of weeks ago. The bufferbeam was badly bent and fractured while being straightened, so I decided to patch up the existing paintwork rather than stripping, respraying, and using replica transfers. The left hand valve gear was mangled, but responded well to being straightened. It's a smooth quiet runner on a test stand:

UserPostedImage

There should be lining on the cylinders too, but as they were in such poor shape I repainted them and will probably use replica transfers there. The missing body fixing bolt (barely visible in front of the smokebox) and tender drawbar were fabricated from a modern bolt and a bit of scrap brass strip.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2008 17:11:10(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
£5 Very cheaper!
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline WelshMatt  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2008 17:39:13(UTC)
WelshMatt

I know - my response to the dealer was "Seriously?!"

It looked a real mess when I got it. Lots of paint chips, dented tender sides (tinplate), a bent smoke deflector, wavy handrails, and the bent front end. The buffers were pointing down at about 45 degrees.

I was considering buying a spare bodyshell, tender drawbar, pony truck fixing bolt and body fixing bolt from ebay but decided against it. The parts I've fabricated to replace the missing ones do the job perfectly, look fine when it's on the track, and cost me nothing as I already had the materials.
Matt from Wales.

Offline shaygetz  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2008 22:28:19(UTC)
shaygetz

Sweetwink A really nice job there keeping that well loved look.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

---A.W. Tozer

Webpage... www.freewebs.com/shaygetz
Blog... http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com/
Offline Macfire  
#5 Posted : 04 August 2008 12:37:16(UTC)
Macfire

Nice repair Matt
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2008 13:52:04(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi W..t,
Well done. Plenty of classics like that do the model train show circuits in Australia, and are always appreciated by a certain section of the onlookers.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline spitzenklasse  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2008 17:44:13(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Very nice, have not seen anything like it before. Nice condition, a bit of pettina to show it's age. I don't like when someone does a re-paint to an original piece. It looks good, like an antique should.
Offline WelshMatt  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2008 23:28:14(UTC)
WelshMatt

Thanks chaps, yes, I was trying to keep a bit of the history but tidy it up. It won't look too scruffy on the shelf or if I find a test track somewhere. I will be keeping an eye out for a few lengths of Dublo track in good condition to park it on for display, and if I see a couple of decent condition coaches of the type supplied with this loco in sets then I might well snap them up. Obviously I have no idea whether this was part of a set or not, but some matching stock will look good.

Annoying part is that Hornby Dublo used pickup shoes rather than a skate/slider, so I can't run it on the M track as the shoes just jam against the pickup studs on curves.
Matt from Wales.

Offline Bayer  
#9 Posted : 05 August 2008 14:42:11(UTC)
Bayer

Very nice old engine, and very good restoration-job. It's a shame that Märklin didn't produce so many English models, or at least not for the English market only. People with a normal income have no chance for buying an original HR 800 LMS engine or the original 352 and 353 LMS wagons. Then it's good that other model train producers like Hornby Dublo, made those models. Congratulations with your find.

Regards,
Thor
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 05 August 2008 16:50:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Nice one Matt! I love those old Hornby Dublo locos, and the Duchess is the best they made, in my opinion.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline WelshMatt  
#11 Posted : 05 August 2008 17:44:26(UTC)
WelshMatt

It would probably be possible to fit a pickup slider, the only problem then would be that Dublo was 12v DC (one of the first to adopt it IIRC). Digital is out as the motor brushes can't be suitably insulated and the motor is probably a bit amp-hungry.

Matt from Wales.

Offline Markus Schild  
#12 Posted : 06 August 2008 02:55:12(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Matt,

there is no real problem with a mix of Hornby-trains and Marklin on the same rail. At least if you only run traditional Marklin (non digital - solenoid-motors) models on that rail. You can also keep your Marklin-transformer. All you need is a small diy-device consisting of a an AC-DC-converter (min 4 A / 35 VAC - 4A / 400 VAC also works) and a four-pole switch to reverse the polarity for switching the Hornby loco. Total cost lower than EUR 10.

Traditional Marklin-models run on DC as as good than on AC, some people say, that they are runing better on DC. And they are also unimpressed of a polartity-switch. So this device can remain in the circuit also if you run your Marklin-engines. You only should be aware to use the right reverse-switch for the right loco. I think the HORNBY loco will survive the trial to switch it with the MARKLIN-30V-impulse, but I would not test.

Markus

Offline WelshMatt  
#13 Posted : 06 August 2008 03:36:52(UTC)
WelshMatt

Hi Markus

I think I'll just get some Dublo track for this if I see any at sensible prices - the oval supplied in the train sets shouldn't be too expensive to assemble and I have a couple of 12v DC transformers around to run it. At the moment it's sitting on the mantlepiece on a couple of sections of M track.
Matt from Wales.

Offline drstapes  
#14 Posted : 06 August 2008 03:38:08(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
[ I think the HORNBY loco will survive the trial to switch it with the MARKLIN-30V-impulse, but I would not test.]

The old 3 rail hornby ran well but faster with a Marklin controller but the marklin reverse 30v impulse would propel the loco into outer space!
regards
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline davpadlee  
#15 Posted : 19 October 2008 23:45:14(UTC)
davpadlee

Hey Matt,
I have one of these too.
Man it runs like a top i resently got a rake of teaks for it.
I love the Hornby stuff as much and it runs on my Marklin 3400 track
just fine abeit i had to make a rectifier to convert the AC to DC
Best Dave
Offline MARKLIN LOVER  
#16 Posted : 27 October 2008 22:57:40(UTC)
MARKLIN LOVER

Now thats nice!
Keep em on the rails!

Ivan!
Offline WelshMatt  
#17 Posted : 28 October 2008 00:06:59(UTC)
WelshMatt

The teak stock is really intended for the LNER "A4" locos (like Mallard) and the little N2 0-6-2 tank which would have worked with them on shorter runs. The Duchess is an LMS (or in this case ex-LMS) loco so you can use the Stanier-type coaches or Dublo's attempt at the BR MK1 coach - these were superb models for their day and now attract high prices in good condition.

If you take a look here http://www.modelfair.com...talog/Dublo_Coaches.html you can see the two types I mention and others.
Matt from Wales.

Offline davpadlee  
#18 Posted : 28 October 2008 07:37:09(UTC)
davpadlee

Yeah i know that the teaks are for the A4 Pacific
But i love them soo much I have a rake of Ace Trans ones as well
The teaks are a class act with any engine Eisinhower had a A4 with Greasly teak sleepers, The Brits gave it to him after the war It is
in a museum here in the States. Can't remember the museum just now.
Best Dave[:p]Smile
Offline WelshMatt  
#19 Posted : 28 October 2008 15:53:27(UTC)
WelshMatt

Well you have a great excuse to buy an A4... biggrin

I fancy an A4 for my next rebuild, will have to see what the dealer the Duchess came from can dig up. I have a 2-6-4 tank loco bought at the same time but it isn't really worth doing anything with as both bogies and a load of other bits are missing. The body is in good shape though and there are useful spares on the chassis.
Matt from Wales.

Offline steventrain  
#20 Posted : 28 October 2008 18:53:06(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />The teak stock is really intended for the LNER "A4" locos (like Mallard) and the little N2 0-6-2 tank which would have worked with them on shorter runs. The Duchess is an LMS (or in this case ex-LMS) loco so you can use the Stanier-type coaches or Dublo's attempt at the BR MK1 coach - these were superb models for their day and now attract high prices in good condition.

If you take a look here http://www.modelfair.com...talog/Dublo_Coaches.html you can see the two types I mention and others.

There is cheaper on ebay price from £5 each.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline WelshMatt  
#21 Posted : 28 October 2008 19:44:19(UTC)
WelshMatt

Yep, but quite often the ebay lots are worn and in poor condition. Modelfair always underestimate the condition of their stock and the prices tend to be fair.
Matt from Wales.

Offline davpadlee  
#22 Posted : 01 November 2008 21:15:55(UTC)
davpadlee

Hey Matt,
Yes I do Moost are in the U.K. I will get one at some point.
I would like to get The Mallard Love the blue with the red wheels.
Dave
Offline WelshMatt  
#23 Posted : 01 November 2008 22:27:32(UTC)
WelshMatt

Good A4s seem to fetch big sums. The modern Hornby do an amazingly detailed and sweet-running A4, along with a cheaper and slightly less detailed version in their "Railroad" range (perfect for those who moan about Brawa being "too fragile" because it has fine detail).

I would guess that you should expect to pay between £40 and over £100 for a good Dublo A4. I've seen the LMS version of the Duchess go for £20 in worse condition than the model I restored above.
Matt from Wales.

Offline jvuye  
#24 Posted : 02 November 2008 12:34:52(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hats off...excellent restoration.*
I do like Hornby myself and have a few, running them occasionally along my older Marklin, despite the 1:76 scale (after all, the CCS 800 is more like 1:80...)
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline WelshMatt  
#25 Posted : 01 December 2008 01:57:38(UTC)
WelshMatt

Just picked up an oval of track and a matching coach on ebay for £11.49 and £4.96 respectively, the track is apparently in great shape, sounds like the coach may need a little cleaning to remove the remains of coach destination boards and possibly a respray of the roof. As this is tinplate I can easily strip the old paint off after matching it if that proves necessary. Can't wait to let the Duchess have a proper run after all those years stuffed in a box in the back of the model shop.

I did consider finding some M track with solid centre rail but it seems to be more expensive than Dublo track. Sort of trying to reassemble a starter set here as the loco was most likely originally sold as part of one. I'll need another coach and a couple of bits of track to complete that.
Matt from Wales.