Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline charles Sharpe  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2008 00:27:35(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I am stuck . Please can you help. The problem I have is if I put the loco in between the two stations and press GO the loco goes over the brake point 1 and then stops at station 1 It waits 20secs the lights come on then the loco moves of goes over the NO 2 brake point to station 2 but it will not stop it just wants to keep going. I have 2 S88 as per pic on page 34 and my shuttle train has a name and my screen looks like the pic as on top right of page 34. Were Im I going wrong. The one thing I don't under stand is when you go to the screen to put the S88 in it is always the first module that is got the dark band over it is this right.SmileSmileSmile
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2008 01:31:48(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Charles,
Before chasing the shuttle, Can you please confirm that the sensor itself is operational.
On the "S88 Configuration" panel you should dynamically see the state of a sensor change.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Peter
Offline charles Sharpe  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2008 11:01:14(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Peter. Please can you confirm that if I use socket 2 and 3 on the S88 the tiny squares should be clear. if so I know mine are not. If that is the case how do I go about it.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline frankie  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2008 13:16:25(UTC)
frankie

The squares are normally clear, when the loco or you manually activate them they become dark as in Peter snapshot.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline Caplin  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2008 13:25:31(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by frankie
<br />The squares are normally clear, when the loco or you manually activate them they become dark as in Peter snapshot.
I think you mean the opposite viewing the snapshot wink. One could also say that the squares are normally "empty", when activated they become "filled" (turning white/gray).

Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline charles Sharpe  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2008 14:08:28(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi Yes you are right clear . I have 2 S88 both 16 ports when you are in S 88 configuration the first one looks like the picture but it is the last box that is clear if you turn the red control knob to the second one all the squares are black. I am using ports 1/2 on both of the S88. I hope this makes sence.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline frankie  
#7 Posted : 17 July 2008 15:03:40(UTC)
frankie

Well they should "fill in" only when activated, like the one circled in red, otherwise they should look as an emtpy square.
If they look "filled" there should be something wrong, plus turning the knob shouldn't have nothing to do with it.
Are you using 24994 or the curved equivalent as a contact track?
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline mascagni  
#8 Posted : 17 July 2008 15:24:15(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: I have not played with my S88 for a while, but I did have a shuttle train set up this Xmas, and one thing that I always checked was whether the boxes you circled above filled in when I ran something over the detection track. If that works, and you can dynamically check that in the CS screen you have depicted above. If you cannot, then you cannot expect the shuttle train to do anything but what you are seeing. I would consider swapping the inputs to the S88, possibly doing a test with just a single module, and then building up to where you want to be. Like many technical things when they work out of the box you are golden, otherwise, one must carefully backtrack and test, test, test!!!--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline charles Sharpe  
#9 Posted : 17 July 2008 18:36:20(UTC)
charles Sharpe

HI . Can you tell me what should the S 88 window look like on the CS when you have two S 88 connected, because I have just changed my S 88's around and I now have the opposite to the picture
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Caplin  
#10 Posted : 18 July 2008 01:03:02(UTC)
Caplin

Hej Charles.

You may already have seen this topic where my s88 problem was solved by help from members, but here it is anyway:

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=9107

There are a couple of important steps: grounding of the first s88 and ownership deligation.

Good luck with further investigation.

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#11 Posted : 18 July 2008 01:13:23(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Charles,
Don't quite understand your question.

The "black line" is really just a cursor so that as you turn the dial it scrolls up/down.
The purpose of this is so that you can insert another (non-Marklin) s88/s8.
Unlike the Marlin s88 which have their addresses hardwired based one their position along the cable , some look-a-likes have the ability to set there (module) address
If you are only using Marlkin devices - ignor this destraction.

The cursor simply "inverts" the black/white(Orange).

The picture shows ONE sensor connected to the FIRST s88 is active. if the dial is turned and the cursor moves to the 2nd s88 the only difference is the visual display change from whit/black to black/white. the filled in square of module 1 would still be filled in.
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#12 Posted : 18 July 2008 01:19:38(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by charles Sharpe
<br />Hello Peter. Please can you confirm that if I use socket 2 and 3 on the S88 the tiny squares should be clear. if so I know mine are not. If that is the case how do I go about it.

Simple Test.

With the "s88 configuration" displayed short a wire between the T terminal of the s88 and any/all the numbered sensor inputs.

If the the matching block on the display changes from clear to filled then the s88 is working and your issue is out on the layout.

If you never see a filled in block then check your s88 to CS wiring
Peter
Offline charles Sharpe  
#13 Posted : 18 July 2008 18:16:46(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Peter. I have tested the two s88's as you suggested with a piece of wire from the t to the number 1 plug socket on both s88,s and the box on the far right goes black on Modul 1 and Modul 2. Both have 16 ports. In the shuttle train window is as follows
Name of route ESPERANTO 99

Station 1s 88 Contact Modul 1 Port 1

Duration 20secs

Station 2 s88 Contact Modul 2 Port 1.
Is this correct and I have made shore the box is ticked for ENABLE TRANSFER OF CONTACT TO OTHER OPS. My set up is short length of track then a contact track then three feet of c track and the a contact track then more track. I run the train from station A over both contact tracks to station B and then press stop and I do as per instructions in the manual.I must admit. I have changed the s88 flat cables around and changed the s88 around and it makes no difference.Do you have any ideas were I mite be going wrong .
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Caplin  
#14 Posted : 19 July 2008 02:12:24(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by charles Sharpe
<br />.... I run the train from station A over both contact tracks to station B and then press stop ...
Charles, just to make sure, you are pressing the Stop button at lower left and not one of the big red knobs? I remember making that error, when I set mine up.

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline charles Sharpe  
#15 Posted : 19 July 2008 09:41:49(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi Caplin. The first time I did it I also pressed the big red control knob but know I make shore I only press the bottom left stop button. Please can you tell me is it normal for the first s88 to show a marked little box and not the second one to show all clear boxes. This is in the s88 configuration window.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Caplin  
#16 Posted : 19 July 2008 13:15:08(UTC)
Caplin

Ehh... I seem to have lost understanding of what you are asking. I can't really tell you much because my layout is packed away now and I can't remember the Shuttle setup by heart, but as suggsted by Michael earlier - make the simplest setup possible separated from your main layout. As for the s88 Configuration screen (Peters picture above) Module 1 is selected ("cursor" turning the line black) and port 5 (red circled) is activated - shown as a white square. If a running loco is activating port 5 you will hardly notice the short change of state, so in order to take this photo, Peter has parked the loco on the circuit/contact track to keep the changed state. For the unselected module 2 the colour scheme is just the opposite. If say port 1 of module 2 was connected and activated (assuming module 1 still selected) the outmost right hand square would turn black - either as a blip or a constant change depending of how you activate it. Port numbers are counted from right to left. Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline charles Sharpe  
#17 Posted : 19 July 2008 23:54:48(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi Caplin.

One last go at this as I will be on holiday from monday. I have set up 2 s88 as manual and set up the shuttle train as manual. I have run the train as per 3.4 in the manual when that is all complete. I set the shuttle to go on it's run all it wants to do is keep going back and forth over d] and station c] it will not go all the way back to station a] then return. I hope that makes . Many thanks Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Caplin  
#18 Posted : 20 July 2008 01:57:54(UTC)
Caplin

Hej Charles,

So you have a change of behaviour from that of the beginning. Just to understand it correctly: You are running the loco from station a) through both contact tracks b) and d) to station c). Then after a delay you have determined the loco starts the travel in the opposite direction, but after passing contact track d) it reverses again and go back to station c) and so on.

On the very first travel from a) does the brake cycle initiate at point d) as it should?

What exactly happens when the loc hits point d) the second time – ie. coming from c)?

Does the loco immediately reverse and go opposite back to c) or does it stop and wait as if it was back at point a)?

Can you see a change of state on port 1 on the config. screen? You probably do with this behaviour, but nothing should happen here when the contact is moved towards point a) only.
You could try and move the contact at d) by hand just after the loc has left point c). If the loco reverses, something seems to be shorting inside the contact track. Have you tried to swap the two contact tracks? If yes and you have the same behaviour at the same place the contact tracks should be OK.

An idea comes to mind. Would it be possible to put the loco upside down next to the track and connect the two track power wires. Then when starting from a) the wheels should run until you move the switch by hand at point d) (observe to move the switch in the travel direction only) - then slow down and stop - wait and run in the reverse. They should then again run until you move the switch at point b). If the wheels do that, your setup is OK. IF, however, the wheels do change direction for no reason maybe a bad timer in the CS is sending rubbish down the line, but it seems unlikely. I think the error lies in the contact track at d).

A bit long winded, but I hope it helps a little.

Edited: just a random thought. You do realize that the two circuits of the contact track are dependent of the travel direction. Only one circuit is to be used on each of the two contact tracks i the shuttle set-up. You havn't by any chance shorted the two tabs together?

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline charles Sharpe  
#19 Posted : 03 August 2008 01:02:23(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello . At last I have got the shuttle to work and don't faint I have also with a help of a friend put it in a route to switch the turnouts as it goes. It was the last two lines of text in blue that did it. Many thanks Caplin.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline pa-pauls  
#20 Posted : 03 August 2008 02:23:04(UTC)
pa-pauls

Very good Charles Smile I'm happy for you...
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Caplin  
#21 Posted : 04 August 2008 01:34:24(UTC)
Caplin

Happy that you got it fixed, Charles. Smile
Regards,

UserPostedImage