Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gachar001  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2008 22:29:14(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Hello,
I am trying to find a loco from the MS database that I can use for some of my diesel and electric locos which are either non M* or the ones I installed sound decoders for. Right now, I am iconless for these locos and am able to access only sound on/off, light, horn 1 and horn 2 and I don't have any icons.
I am looking for a loco number in the MS database that gives me all these functions and more that I can use for these locos. I can switch around the functions to match up with the icons using a lokprogrammer.
I have a V160 from a starter set that has all the functions I need activated but this is am MFX loco. So I am not able to use its number from the MS database and clone it for my other locos.
I was told that I will need to use a CS to program my MS to suit my needs but I don't have access to one. So I am trying to work around this problem.
Thanks in advance.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline spitzenklasse  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2008 22:44:55(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Hello again Gautham! I do not own either, so I'm definately no ms, or cs expert. I bet the ecos can do that for you though. By reading threads from ecos user members, it sounds like it. Marklin does not want you to acces all the mfx functions with the ms. They want you to buy both. Just as in your field of expertise, you don't give away applications for free. Granted, I'm not sure Marklin warrants themselves to this level of expertise, although their models are priced like it. I'm sure someone knows a way around it, just as was the case with the uhlenbrock intellibox vs. the 6021 control unit.
Offline gachar001  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2008 22:55:45(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by spitzenklasse
<br />Hello again Gautham! I do not own either, so I'm definately no ms, or cs expert. I bet the ecos can do that for you though. By reading threads from ecos user members, it sounds like it. Marklin does not want you to acces all the mfx functions with the ms. They want you to buy both. Just as in your field of expertise, you don't give away applications for free. Granted, I'm not sure Marklin warrants themselves to this level of expertise, although their models are priced like it. I'm sure someone knows a way around it, just as was the case with the uhlenbrock intellibox vs. the 6021 control unit.

Hello spitzenklasse,
I have no plans to get the ecos since I have my heart set on the viessmann commander. Ofcourse I'll wait for some time until the bugs are ironed out (and I am able to digest the cost Smile).
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2008 01:20:24(UTC)
H0

Hello, Gautham!

To access more than 5 functions with the MS for non-mfx locos, there are only few locos you can use.
One of them is 37540 - it's a steamer (there also is a Big Boy, but I forgot the number).
It works if you activate the secondary address e.g. of an ESU LokSound decoder.

AFAIK you cannot easily change the MS database (icons etc.) with a CS.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline gachar001  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2008 02:06:48(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />There is nothing special to be done with a CS for upating the MS loco database. It is performed automtically whenever a MS is connected to a CS and the CS database level is higher than that of the connected MS.

MS pictograms cannot be changed; they're "hardcoded" and allocated to dedicated function buttons. However, by using a MS under control of a CS it is very easy to assign any icon to a specific function and use this on the MS. I did this with many of my Märklin and non-Märklin models.

There are around 1000 entries in the MS database; take the latest list and look for the best match with your model's functions (http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/sy...ok-Datenbank-2006-12.pdf). With most recent DB versions like 1.8 you can for example choose #60902 which provides the light function f0, f1, f2 and f4 (delays) or #60961 which provides the light function f0 and f1-f4. This is quite convenient also for non-Märklin locos. wink

This list is awesome. I was trying to go through each entry in the MS DB to try and find a loco that works for me. No surprise that I gave up very soon.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2008 04:55:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Lutz for that link, listing of Marklin items and functions.
very useful.
regards
kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.