Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Breitenfurt  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2008 01:48:07(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hello.

Does anyone here have any experience of running trains through trailing points that are set for the other route? It would be a great help to me if I can do that on my proposed layout. I recall having read somewhere that locos and coaches have no problem but I am wondering if some of the lighter stock (e.g. low sided open wagons) can cope with it. I am, of course, talking about the Marklin Z scale points.

Best wishes to all,
Chris.
Offline spitzenklasse  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2008 05:57:46(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Greetings Chris! You are correct for the most part. It is more of an issue with M track than with K or C.
Try a couple out and test it. With M track, the center stud rises higher in the points.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2008 09:19:33(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thank you for responding.

I presume that K, C and M are all HO scale where the stock is much heavier. Some of the Z scale stock is VERY light (less than 25gr). Unfortunately I am not in a position at the moment to be able to test the idea as most of my stock is packed away and inaccessible.

All the best,
Chris.
Offline ozzman  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2008 15:41:09(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Chris, I've seen a recent post on another forum in which it was suggested that this works reasonably well. However the writer was talking about US style freight cars, which of course are larger and heavier. Is it possible that small European style freight cars should be weighted a bit anyway to improve their tracking?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Breitenfurt  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2008 20:51:32(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thank you your comments spitzenklasse and ozzman..

Actually, I am unable to check anything at the moment as I am moving rooms (10 years of hoarding junk - cables everywhere - re-routing home network - squeezing quart into pint pot - you get the idea) so trains are inaccessible. While doing the move I am still developing my layout routing logic and trailing through certain points will make matters much simpler. To give you an idea of where I am coming from you can see the layout on my webspace at http://trains.manvell.or...Z-trackplan-20080713.jpg . The points in question are: 2 between signal L2 (rt end of platforms) and detector BA(IR), 1 adjacent to relief road's R2 and 1 at the other end of the relief road adjacent to detectors RA and DC. As you will realise, there will be times when the points will need to be set the 'wrong' way, e.g. to accommodate locomotive access to the turntable, but for normal operation they will only be used to direct trains one way.

All the best,

Chris.

Edited by user 17 April 2011 21:42:35(UTC)  | Reason: Addition of a space after link.

Offline Breitenfurt  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2008 20:55:37(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Pother. If you click on tat address it won't work as the forum software has included the full stop in the URL. So, try this:
http://trains.manvell.or...Z-trackplan-20080713.jpg
Chris.
Offline hgk  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2008 08:39:40(UTC)
hgk

Real nice looking layout. What's the real world size of the squares?
thanks,
-George
Offline Breitenfurt  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2008 13:57:21(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi George. The squares are just 10cm across, so the whole layout, on which I have just laid the first length of track, is 180cm by 61cm (6ft by 2ft for those who don't do metric!), i.e. just right to fit in my car. There are not nearly enough storage tracks but the idea was to test out the station layout before applying the same principles to my yet-to-be-built N scale layout. If it gets good enough, I might exhibit it as one or two minor model rail exhibitions.

All the best,
Chris
Offline ozzman  
#9 Posted : 14 July 2008 15:50:40(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Yes, it is an interesting layout, with lots of operational possibilities. I wish you joy of it!
Gary
Z Scale
Offline ztrack  
#10 Posted : 14 July 2008 17:00:56(UTC)
ztrack

Chris,

Yes, you can run trains through Marklin turnouts, even if they are set the wrong way. This is a great feature, even though it is not prototypical. On my layout, I use the powered turnouts on the entry tracks of my yards and the manual turnouts at the exit (I always run trains the same direction). I can save money by using the manuals at the end of the yard, and not have to worry how they are set since the trains will roll through them.

Micro-Trains is now offering turnouts. But, these will have to be set. Trains will not roll through them if the points are not open to the direction of travel.

Rob Kluz
Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
The Magazine For Z Scale Model Railroading.
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com
Offline Breitenfurt  
#11 Posted : 14 July 2008 21:18:43(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thanks Rob.

I found a flat truck and tacked it onto the back of a passenger train with excellent results (as long as the train was travelling at a reasonable speed). But, I will only be happy once I have run a train of two-axle wagons through curved trailing points.

So, unless I get problems, I think the answer is "Yes".

All the best to you all,
Chris.
Offline ozzman  
#12 Posted : 15 July 2008 02:36:35(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ztrack
<br />Chris,

Yes, you can run trains through Marklin turnouts, even if they are set the wrong way. This is a great feature, even though it is not prototypical. On my layout, I use the powered turnouts on the entry tracks of my yards and the manual turnouts at the exit (I always run trains the same direction). I can save money by using the manuals at the end of the yard, and not have to worry how they are set since the trains will roll through them.

Rob Kluz

Thanks Rob, that's a really neat idea. Not only do you save money on the turnouts themselves, but also on the control apparatus.
Gary
Z Scale
Offline jooka  
#13 Posted : 15 July 2008 09:25:48(UTC)
jooka

very clever idea. thanks rob!
Offline ozzman  
#14 Posted : 16 July 2008 15:57:28(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Official endorsement:
Marklin Cat # 0296 is the multi-lingual version of the track planning book. On page 35 it is categorically stated "A car or locomotive can be run through against the setting for the exit turnout thanks to its non-derailing sprung switch rails". The illustration is of a straight turnout, not curved.

Mind you, I'd be hesitent to try that in a shadow station, especially if the tracks were a bit hard to reach.
Gary
Z Scale
Offline Breitenfurt  
#15 Posted : 16 July 2008 19:56:14(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thanks for that. I do have that book but it is hidden away in piles of boxes at the moment. I also have 0294 (in German) but as a non-German reading person, I didn't spot that. (Incidentally, the two books are not the same as page 35 is the start of the track plans.)

Chris.
Offline ozzman  
#16 Posted : 17 July 2008 06:48:53(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Perhaps the 0294 is shorter overall, seeing that it's only in one language. The 0296 is in four. When I get the time next week I'll carry out a few experiments myself.
Gary
Z Scale
Offline ozzman  
#17 Posted : 28 July 2008 15:39:34(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Well, it's now the week after, but better late than never.

Not only could I pull (using my trusty Krokodil) a string of three four-wheel freight cars over a trailing turnout set for the other route, but I was able to push them through it too. A most satisfactory result!
Gary
Z Scale
Offline Breitenfurt  
#18 Posted : 28 July 2008 19:33:10(UTC)
Breitenfurt

All good stuff. I found some 4-wheelers and had six of them hauled through two curved points (both inner and outer curve) with no derailment s, so I guess I have answered my own question. The points concerned will still have to be switchable for occasional shunting operations but having the ability to leave them in the one position most of the time will make things easier. Having said that, I am looking at the idea of using a CDU with a route selection diode matrix which would mean that the points would be set anyway as part of the process of setting a route.

Best wishes,
Chris.
Offline ozzman  
#19 Posted : 29 July 2008 02:55:00(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Chris, what is a CDU? For me the virtue of going through a turnout set the wrong way is at the exit from staging tracks. On my "ultimate" layout (as yet not even planned) the trains will always go through those turnouts in the same direction.
Gary
Z Scale