Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tompall  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2008 02:52:55(UTC)
tompall

G'day.

Does anyone know where in Australia (or online)I can get longer wood screws for M-track?

7299 (old screw) is 2mmx15mm, but my layour rebild is using Noch foam insulation inside the track, then laid on 3mm cork and then onto 15mm ply, so 7299 does not have enough bite. C track screws are finer, down to 1.6mm dia, so they are no good.

I'd really like slotted head screws if possible to keep with the '60's theme of the layout.

Help!

Tom.
Online mmervine  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2008 03:43:27(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Tom:

I used C track screws on my M track with no problems.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2008 03:49:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hmmm, I was never able to find any 2mm screws locally, they just don't make them. Because I have a layer of cork underneath the M Track, I needed something longer. I ended up using 4mm x 25mm pozidrive bronze coloured screws which are readily available. This meant I had to drill the mounting hole in the track for the screws to fit, but the bronze colour makes them fairly invisible.

Viessmann do some screws for M Track, item 4178, but these are 2mm x 15mm.
Offline Graham HO  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2008 04:19:33(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Hi Ross - thanks for the link to your decoder/control modules, this is really good stuff.
It has been interesting to compare the schematics with other proprietory brands.

I have built and continue to run both Viessmann and Conrad kit-set modules - both of which are very cheap when you have direct access to them in Europe. Freight costs are a crippling factor, so it is good to have an "Antipodean" supply source.
Offline tonyfh  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2008 13:33:12(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello Tom, all,

About two years ago my local hardware shop (a small one) was able to buy slothead 2 x 16 mm woodscrews for me from a brand named Fabory.

I did a search for you, in the Fabory export webshop they have 2x20 screws in brass. In their Dutch webshop they have this size also in zinc plated steel (ref nr. 25130020.020).
In case you need longer screws, you have to go to 2,5 mm diameter.

Please note, I cannot remember the price back then, but I thought it was something like 5 or 6 euro's for a box of 200 screws.

Greetings, Tony.
Offline Tom Jessop  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2008 07:43:17(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Hi Tom, all,

I went thru this episode last year ended up using underlay from Trackrite [in Albury -J & K Hobbies 02 6041 4098] it is almost the same stuff plumbers wrap round pipes for insulation except it has been profiled for 2 rail runners. various profiles & guages available, I had to modify the underlay to fit under M profile but very good sound deadner, Screw's are another problem I ended up using 2 g x 5/8 & 2g x 3/4 but these are very hard to find , I tried numerous bulk supplier's untill I found & brought the last lot on shelves in Melbourne, a mate near by has some left over from his layout but Im not sure if he would want to sell at the moment as he has mentioned more expansion in the near future. Noel @ Nathans trains in Brissy may know of a supplier,

Regards Tom In Oz [ Blue mtns to be exact.]