Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline charles Sharpe  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2008 23:10:36(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello. I am about to set up for a shuttle train. I will have a length of c track with a turnout at each end which goes into two tracks at each end this will allow me two run two trains but one at once. Please can you tell me if I am right in thinking that I will need a 24994 circuit track in each of the four sidings if so how far from the buffers do you put the 24994.Smile Any help on setting up of the shuttle train would be very helpful as I find the CS manual hard to follow.winkwink
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline WelshMatt  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2008 23:16:21(UTC)
WelshMatt

I have a similar setup but using a 6600 rather than a CS to control it. I put a 360mm straight (24188/24172) between the 24994 and the buffers, which leaves enough space for the cab cars (as the pickup slider is on the non-cab end of these).

You may well find that you need two 24994s for each track end - mine has one to activate braking, then another to trip the reverser. The end result is something like this: main line/24994/24188/24172/24994/24188/24172/buffers.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline charles Sharpe  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2008 15:10:22(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Matt. many thanks that is very helpful.Smile
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2008 00:33:01(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Charles,

Regardless of using the CS "shuttle" mode or a PC there is inevitably some variation in the response time of the logic to react to the a sensor that has been activated. This may also vary (lengthen) if the CU is processing other commands.
I have also found that, aside from the programmed acc/dec, some locos "warm up" generally resulting in longer stopping distances - which in turn depends on the nominal running speed set.

With a PC , some logic can cater for the different speed curves of different addresses.

For most shuttle or shunting operations I concur with Matt, however I generally use a x172 as a contact track (aka cheaper 24994) followed by the x188 and buffer - so maybe a little shorter. This assumes I am entering the yard "at shunting speeds" AND with DEC disabled or minimal.

I hope the CS will offer some "permutations" in the future.
1) 2 stage slowdown - so that the main line run can be moderately high
2) pause - without reverse - for a main line halt
3) option to invoke functions
- i) disable acceleration for accurate stop
- ii) trigger sound on departure.
4) conditional logic - to (in your case) allow the 2 trains to operate automatically one at a time.
Peter