Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bill190D  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2003 04:01:46(UTC)
Bill190D

Greetings all! I hope the holidays have been good to everyone. I, myself was lucky enough to get a Schienenbus set(both powered and dummy) and a few pieces of rolling stock which brings me to my question. I won a couple Fleischmann cars on ebay yesterday, and at the time I didn't think as to whether they are even compatible with marklin. So my question is will the couplers mate ok or did I make a boo-boo in getting these. I've only seen pics of various brands rolling stock and while Roco, Lima and Marklin look pretty much the same, the Fleischmann stuff looks a bit different. As usual, thanks for the help and my small layout is coming right along.
Bill
New to Marklin but not the hobby. :)

Bill
Offline McLae  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2003 10:14:35(UTC)
McLae

If the cars have NEM coupler pockets, you can swap for Roco NEM couplers. Roco has three types, all compatible with Marklin Loop couplers. (Some problems with close couplers, but you get that with Marklin also[}:)])
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2003 17:02:35(UTC)
Webmaster

Fleischmann themselves do also have replacement couplers and NEM sockets as extra parts. It is not unusual that also Märklin-compatible loop&hook couplers are provided with older wagons already in the box.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline jcegido  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2003 01:48:57(UTC)
jcegido

Hi Bill, all,
Once you´ve been advised about couplers, I want to tell you something about Fleischmann (and other DC) rolling stock. If you plan to run them on an AC layout (Märklin) and will use now or in future train detection tracks, you´d better change their wheels, cause AC ones are isolated and AC aren´t. (Maybe you knew this)
RegardsCool
Juan Carlos
Offline KLB  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2003 04:37:35(UTC)
KLB

Hi all,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:you can swap for Roco NEM couplers. Roco has three types, all compatible with Marklin Loop couplers.

No only two my friend,....

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jcegido
<br />Hi Bill, all,
Once you´ve been advised about couplers, I want to tell you something about Fleischmann (and other DC) rolling stock. If you plan to run them on an AC layout (Märklin) and will use now or in future train detection tracks, you´d better change their wheels, cause AC ones are isolated and DC aren´t. (Maybe you knew this)
RegardsCool

Well there is a way to fix that and save some $$!biggrin
Kevin!

Moderator,Märklin Bar&Grill

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MarklinBandG/
Offline Bill190D  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2003 05:17:03(UTC)
Bill190D

Thanks for the help! I was aware of the wheel isolation difference so I'll change em when necessary. But isn't it the DC wheels which are isolated and the AC that are not? Anyway, I probably should've stuck with Marklin only which is what I've been trying to do up till now.
Bill
New to Marklin but not the hobby. :)

Bill
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2003 06:27:42(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi Bill, i want to tell you that my experience with non marklin rolling stock is very bad, even when couplers are NEM they don´t work good (mostly roco ones) and they are all very propense to derailments, i solved part of this problems putting marklin wheels on non marklin rolling stock, but i think after getting a few non marklin cars and a lot of troubles i will only use marklin cars in the future
bye
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2003 17:24:52(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi Bill, about 65% of my Locos and 70% of my wagons are Non-Märklin (Brawa, Fleischmann, Kato, Liliput, Roco).
I use only C track, with R3, R4 and R5 radii and R9 turnouts, and I know this is a great advantage.
All my rolling stock has NEM couplers, either factory installed or adapted by myself. I didn´t change the wheels since I don´t use track contacts. I use both Märklin and Roco couplings. I have no derailments at all, DC rolling stock negotiates very well the turnouts.
In the past, when I was an M-track victim, I've adjusted the gauge of some wheels to 14,0mm internal and this brought some relief. After installing C-track I adjusted the gauge back to 14,3mm and now all my problems are gone.
Have a Happy New Year!!!
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline dampf  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2003 17:57:34(UTC)
dampf

If your rolling stock has NEM pockets, the Fleischmann Profi-kupplung are simply the best... really, try them and you will wonder why you ever put up with those pain-in-the-rearside Marklin/Roco couplers (loop and close) all these years... with the Fleischmann, you never have a problem uncoupling them, they are quieter, and quite strong...
jay kempen
Offline jcegido  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2004 04:07:05(UTC)
jcegido

I beg your pardon ladies and gentlemen,
it´s true, AC is not isolated and DC is. It was so late at night.....Christmas celebrations (untill next Jan-6-04)... and so on, you know....biggrinwink
Juan Carlos
Offline jeehring  
#11 Posted : 01 January 2004 20:01:03(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge_vilarrubi
<br />Hi Bill, about 65% of my Locos and 70% of my wagons are Non-Märklin (Brawa, Fleischmann, Kato, Liliput, Roco).
I use only C track, with R3, R4 and R5 radii and R9 turnouts, and I know this is a great advantage......

Hi Jorge ,
did you find any Kato machines, HO scale , compatible with three rails system ? With slider under the machine ? I'm interested.....What type ? Or , do you mean " only coaches or cars " ? Are there US models ?
Could you confirm the Brawa BR 06 is running well on R4 , R5 curves ? What " behaviour " passing through one R2 turnout between 2 straight lines...?
thanks for your attention....
bye bye
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2004 00:58:23(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi Roland, I have a Fliegender Hamburger from Kato and have Märklinized VT25s too. The pickup shoe I've for my Fl.Ham. is an original Kato. For the ET25s, you have alternatives: the Kato shoe, M* 7164 or Fleischmann 69.2009 could do the trick, but I don't remember which one I've used... sorry. For every product for which Kato offers an AC version, you have a pickup shoe available. I don't have any experience with US Kato models, only German ones. Both SVT877 (Fliegender Hamburger) and ET25 are excellent models.
In regards to Brawa BR06: mine is an original DC model adapted to 3R, but this was quite simple: a M*7164 installed under the movable bogie in the tender and a change in connections, done by simply re-arranging the wires at the board in the tender. Wheels and flanges are the same for both DC and AC versions. It runs perfectly in my layout, but I have only R3, R4 and R5 curved track and R9 turnouts.
Brawa says that this loco will run on R1 track at half speed, having removed some pieces to free the bogies from being catched by those pieces under the boiler.
I've tried this in a layout of a friend of mine but the results were not conclusive since his layout was not properly set and some derailments could have occurred due to bad installation of track. What I can assure is that you need at least a half section of right track between both tournouts.
Hope this could help you.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline jeehring  
#13 Posted : 03 January 2004 02:42:44(UTC)
jeehring

thank you Jorge , I wonder if the ET 25 is still available....About flying hamburger I 'll choose the Marklin one in 2004...Does anyone know if Kato offers three rails US models ( E 8 and F 40 or F 59 for amtrack / Talgo trains )...?
Talgo by electrotren is pretty good ..
About Brawa BR 06 on R3 , R4 , R5 , radius curves you don't have to remove parts to free the bogies , I presume ... ?
Thank you again...
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#14 Posted : 03 January 2004 03:03:45(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

The only change you need for R3-4-5 is the front lateral piece on both sides, to allow the wheels of the first axle to go out of the loco body. The loco comes with those parts for your choice.
Regards,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring
<br />thank you Jorge , I wonder if the ET 25 is still available....About flying hamburger I 'll choose the Marklin one in 2004...Does anyone know if Kato offers three rails US models ( E 8 and F 40 or F 59 for amtrack / Talgo trains )...?
Talgo by electrotren is pretty good ..
About Brawa BR 06 on R3 , R4 , R5 , radius curves you don't have to remove parts to free the bogies , I presume ... ?
Thank you again...
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA