Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tpedroni  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2002 10:31:58(UTC)
tpedroni

I'm wondering if others share my enduring experience of poor performance by Marklin Z locos. Specifically, even though I clean my track frequently (following a previous suggestion in this forum) my locos still seem run "fitfully" around my layout. That is, they start and stop in fits... never really obtaining a constant velocity. There are specific sections of the layout where this is most common; they are small sections (not even entire track sections, so I don't think it's a "contact" issue with a given individual track piece). I've given these sections particular attention with cleaning, but that doesn't really seem to alleviate the problem. I guess my primary question is-- Is this experience typical in Z? I never experience this in Marklin Ho, were option seems to be invariably smooth and even, and least as far as current conduction is concerned.

Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2002 01:26:21(UTC)
Webmaster

I have no experience of the Z-scale, but I did some N-scale some years ago with similar problems as you describe... I had no major problems with the bigger Roco & Fleischmann loks, but a Roco BR80 just refused to run smoothly... I gave the N-scale up since I just got tired of it. So I went back to H0 and Märklin instead and have not regretted a minute of that decision... The few Z-scale layouts I have seen always seem to run too fast, since smooth running at lower speeds seems difficult... But Märklin introduced a 5-pole motor for their Z-scale loks some year ago as standard, so maybe the driving characteristics are better now...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Bill  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2002 07:14:50(UTC)
Bill

I can only draw from N scale experience too. I ran Kato locomotives, which ran incredibly smooth and slow...but only when the track was clean, which was something I needed to do daily! It got tiring cleaning a layout that was over 31 feet long and several feet wide! DC tends to need more cleaning than AC. If I did not clean the track, even the Kato locomotives, flywheels and all, would stutter. I am guessing the same is for Z, where even less locomotive weight woudl inhibit the conduction of current.