Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hobbit  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2009 04:33:20(UTC)
Hobbit

Some time ago Noch used to sell a terrific range of styrofoam sheets made by Merkur that looked like masonry block work walls of varying types. They were great to work with to make bridge abutments, retaining walls and other stone structures. These are is no longer in the Noch program (except for sheets of paving).

I have found the Merkur Styroplast company website and noted that they have a web shop (http://merkur.webshop-service.eu ). I have emailed them with and inquiry but got no reply. Not sure why - perhaps they can’t or don’t reply to English.

What I would really appreciate is if one of our German speaking forum members could establish if the company still exists and operates (by phone or email), in which case I will try to translate my inquiry to German and send it again.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I know that there are many other brands & products but I am only interested in these at this time due the large size sheets they make and the relatively low cost compared to other substitutes.
There is no place like The Shire...
Offline Ranjit  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2009 07:12:07(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Hobbit,

Thank you for this info.

I too would be very interested in knowing if the Merkur Styroplast company still exists.

I have a feeling that it has been bought over by NOCH.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline klinge-germany  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2009 14:15:18(UTC)
klinge-germany

it looks like they do exist, with the exception of the k-track bed. i think this has been sold to NOCH and they have the exclusive right to sell it.
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline Hobbit  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2009 12:39:53(UTC)
Hobbit

Hi Alfred,

Yes they definitely have (or had) some relationship with Noch as nearly all their items on their German web-shop were in the 2004 Noch catalogue. Unfortunately the items I am after are no longer in the current Noch catalogue so I can’t order it through regular suppliers such as LokShop, but they are in their web-shop.

It puzzles me why the have their own web-shop that appear to be live yet they don't reply to inquiries. If you have the time I would really appreciate if you could call the phone number on their web-site to see if they still trade. I would do it myself but I don't speak German and I don't know anyone who does that could do it for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline klinge-germany  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2009 13:32:41(UTC)
klinge-germany

hello Hobbit,
they exist !! i just phoned them but for the k-track bed it is like i thought, they are producing it but NOCH is the only distributor (via dealers). but all other items can be ordered at them, but they speak only german (as you 'suspected')...
hope you will find there what you want...
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline Hobbit  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2009 16:30:51(UTC)
Hobbit

Hi Alfred,

Thank you very much for making the call for me. I really apreciate your help.
In appreciation I wanted to share with you what I did with the styroplast last time but I am having problems uploading the photo this time.
I will now try to translate the email to German and re-send and see how I go.

Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2009 06:17:56(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Hobbit,
I would be interested in getting hold of some of these items, so please let me know if you are successful in contacting them. I also live in Sydney, but not in THE SHIRE, in a better location, the North Shore - perhaps we can share the shipping costs.
Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Hobbit  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2009 04:33:03(UTC)
Hobbit

Hi Greg,

Temping as it is, I will refrain from taking the bait on debating which is the better place to live. I haven't written to them yet but I will post here once I get a reply.
Offline Ian555  
#9 Posted : 11 November 2009 07:13:56(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit
<br />Hi Greg,

Temping as it is, I will refrain from taking the bait on debating which is the better place to live. I haven't written to them yet but I will post here once I get a reply.

Hi Greg and Hobbit
I'm sure there BOTH great places to stay. Smile
Not so warm and sunny Scotland.
Ian.
Offline Marius in Africa  
#10 Posted : 24 November 2009 15:19:27(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hobbit
I have found the Merkur Styroplast company website and noted that they have a web shop (http://merkur.webshop-service.eu ).

This webpage does not show pictures of the tunnel portals. How do you guys know what the products (specifically the portals) look like prior to ordering the products?

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline Hobbit  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2009 04:31:43(UTC)
Hobbit

Marius,

You are right; there are no picures and I have absolutely no idea how they expect people to buy them sight unseen. I was not interested in the portals as I already had the portals I needed. If you want to see what they look(ed?) like go to the old LokShop website (http://www.lokshop.de/e_default.htm) then "prices and info", then selech Noch, then scoll down to their 2004 catalogue and go to JPG number 32. Of course I cannot guarantee that the portals on sale now correspond to those shown five years ago, but the is probability is reasonable.

As an update to my initial topic I have since written an email to the firm in German but I have not had a reply for over a week. I just want to know if they accept credit cards or PayPal. Their webite does not mention anything about which forms of payments they accept.

Offline mvd71  
#12 Posted : 26 June 2012 07:40:02(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

Is it still possible to get the merkur roadbed? The website still exists, but just the same as three years ago, there is no response to emails.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline kbvrod  
#13 Posted : 26 June 2012 23:03:11(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Mike,all,

>Is it still possible to get the merkur roadbed? The website still exists, but just the same as three years ago, there is no response to emails.<

Noch bought Merkur years ago and then stopped producing it.Sad Shame too,it was a easy way to ballast K-track.Nowadays Tillig is the only producer of a similar roadbed:

http://www.tillig.com/index-engl.htm

Dr D

Offline Tom Jessop  
#14 Posted : 27 June 2012 05:59:24(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
I think Peco may produce or import road bed suitable. There is a mob over here in Oz that make a road bed that is also suitable for "M" & many other brands ,called - Trackrite if you a member of the B&G I have placed a copy of their product list in the files section under user name of marklin-au
. I cant find a website or phone no at the moment but will do a search tonight when at home

Tom in Oz
Offline Tom Jessop  
#15 Posted : 27 June 2012 11:03:48(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
After doing a bit of a search in the train room I found 6 boxes of Guagemaster ballasted underlay, in small print there is a "made by Noch" on the back, so it looks like it has been repackaged for the UK market. I purchased about 10 boxes 6 years ago from Hobbyco in Sydney at a price cheaper than I could get it from Europe. [ Item GM200 ]

The other manufacturer is called jkhobbies@dragnet.com.au they are in Albury NSW Aust, a small country city. They make a few different profiles which should also be suitable for "M". I brought a roll of offcuts with no recess for sleepers from them to see how they would work on the old M track & was very satisfied with the lack of sound transfer when running trains. They do not have a web site from what I searched for but do attend most hobby shows in Aust.

Hopeing this may be of some help.
Regards Tom in Oz
Offline mvd71  
#16 Posted : 28 June 2012 08:03:26(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

Well if I cannot get it anywhere new. Does anyone here on the forum have any bits left? In particular I am thinking of a couple of sections for under the left hand high speed turnouts.

Cheers.....

Mike.