Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2009 18:33:15(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All,

After some years of storage, I found recently that the train number plate of my #37845 class 50 50th birthday locomotive has fallen off. I have tried several glues (Faller Expert Art. Nr. 492 and Vollmer Supranol 2000) to affix this plate properly to no avail. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Recent Marklin quality that I am not very happy about!

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline tekin65  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2009 18:36:04(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Ranjit hi,

Faller Expert and other plastic cement type glues are not suitable for the job. I'd suggest UHU or similar all purpose glues; they are strong enough and they leave no traces.

But care must be taken when applying, I use tip of a toothpick for sensitive jobs.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2009 01:00:54(UTC)
Webmaster

Thin layer of "contact" glue, or maybe acrylic "superglue"...

Carefully, as Cem says...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Ranjit  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2009 08:07:45(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Cem and Juhan,

Thank you for your suggestions. I like your new avatar, Juhan. One of my all time favourite characters. You guys have "made my day"!

I have a UHU All purpose Adhesive Super Cyanoacrylate). Do you think a small portion of this will do to affix the train number plate?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2009 09:33:16(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Ranjit.
that should do it BUT BE CAREFUL
N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 24 September 2009 10:53:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yep, make sure you glue the number plate and not your fingers Ranjit! Cyanoacrylate sets real fast and has been known to remove skin when fingers get glued instead of intended bits.

You may want to use a toothpick (as suggested above) to apply the glue, then some tweezers to apply the number plate.
Offline Hannu  
#7 Posted : 24 September 2009 12:18:32(UTC)
Hannu

Best solution is industrial quality cyanoacrylate glue. I have glued many parts on my garden railway with Loctite 480 including such parts which have mechanical stress, if there were large area for glue. The glue is very strong but I do not have yet own experience of its long time durability. However, I believe that it will not be a problem with high quality industrial glue. Loctite 480 is black, which may be problem for you, but your local Loctite dealer have also similar glues with clear color.

There are also cheap cyanoacrylates from many brands in nearly all larger stores. They are not as good as expensive industrial quality glue, but probably also such a glue can fix the number plate. There should not be high stresses to that part.
Offline tekin65  
#8 Posted : 24 September 2009 12:21:42(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Ranjit hi,

If I were you I wouldn't use cyano on that loco. You better try UHU all-purpose first; if it doesn't work then you can try cyano. If you must use cyano, try medium NOT thin.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Hannu  
#9 Posted : 24 September 2009 13:23:24(UTC)
Hannu

There are some safety and practical issues with cyanoacrylate, from which it may be good to write something. Safety first. Cyanoacrylate hardens with moisture. So, it glues skin much faster than metals or any other material. Be careful, I have glued few times something to my fingers and tried to cut it by knife without damaging the skin. It is no to easy, especially when one glued part is glued to the knifehand and other part to the other hand.

If you glue small details to the locomotive, you should use very small drops of glue. You can not get suitable amount straight from a tube or bottle. Instead that, put a small glue drop to a steel needle and try to move it to the number plate. I recommend that you practice first with a similar size part of metal or plastic.
Offline Ranjit  
#10 Posted : 24 September 2009 13:47:55(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Neville, David, Cem and Hannu,

Thank you all for your suggestions and cautionary statements. I will be careful.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated